ATF: Ladder

Seren

Is there a weight limit on the ladder to the roof? I weight 260 (6'4") and worry about the flexing that occurred the one time I went up there. Have a Landmark GC, bought in March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pegmikef

Do a search on ladder as there are several discussions about the flimsiness of the ladders and some of the work arounds and repairs the owners have made. For me, I carry a folding ladder and basically use the rig ladder to hold my owner's plaque and cell booster antenna.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Take a look under the ladder rungs for a sticker. Might be on the bottom rung.
There should be a weight rating on that sticker.

Peace
Dave

gebills

Seems it's unknown what the design engineers were thinking when the ladder systems for these RV's were designed, other than making them look nice. Anyone beyond the age of 9 will have challenges with the ladder stability. I've resolved to either using a portable ladder that will reach the top safely (okay, sometimes not so safe) or I block the bottom of the OEM ladder with blocks if I am out without a suitable tall ladder. Many owners carry folding ladders as Mike has suggested. There are several ladder manufactures that build suitable ladders you can carry in the basement, or maybe strap to your OEM ladder out back, and seems like in a previous entry where an owner had designed a method to carry his ladder beneath the rig. In the mean time, we are all experiencing the same challenges you are with the OEM ladder. I'm not up to the 260-lb mark yet, but another month or two of ice cream in the evening, and I'll be there. Good luck with your choices..

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The ladder is rated for 300 lbs. but I don't know if that includes the way it's mounted to the cap.

MTPockets

I try to respond Every time a flimsy ladder post pops up which has been occurring for a few years now. These ladders should be an embarrassment to any manufacturer who installs them. To support mine better, I installed two sets (4 pcs) of the stand off supports, which steadied the ladder substantially. The Landmark GM posted that he was going to look into it, but that's the last I've heard.

Seren

Thanks, I saw the work arounds before posting, but was curious if the was a weight rating. If it is 300 lbs, then it should hold even being flimsy. I would assume we would have had posts about the ladder breaking and/ or people getting hurt if it didn't.

JohnDar

Thanks, I saw the work arounds before posting, but was curious if the was a weight rating. If it is 300 lbs, then it should hold even being flimsy. I would assume we would have had posts about the ladder breaking and/ or people getting hurt if it didn't.

300 lbs. is what the sticker on my ladder says. At a mere 157 lbs. (after colon surgery), I guess I've got a lot of margin on mine. But I've used it frequently in the years we've had it and never felt like it was not secure. To carry an extension ladder to safely climb on the roof would require one at least 17 feet long. That's to give you a 75 degree climb angle and at least 3 rungs above the roof line (I prefer 5). And a firm, level surface to place the ladder or have someone "foot" it for you.

jimtoo

.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx At a mere 157 lbs. (after colon surgery), xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Now how did that happen?,,,, I had it done 2 times....1 1/2 years apart.... still gained 60#.. They told me "eat or you will loose weight" ,,, well I ate and I gained weight..:),,, but I KICKED the cancer.

Jim M

JohnDar

Now how did that happen?,,,, I had it done 2 times....1 1/2 years apart.... still gained 60#.. They told me "eat or you will loose weight" ,,, well I ate and I gained weight..:),,, but I KICKED the cancer.

Jim M

Glad you beat the cancer, Jim. Fortunately, mine wasn't the big C, just pre-C flat polyps. I dunno, I've been eating, just not packing the pounds back on. Heck, the "flush" alone was good for 3 lbs., and 3 1/2 days of non-edible hospital food (aka. dry wall paste) probably got the rest. But then, I only weighed 168 before it all.

danemayer

There are 2 areas of concern. The first is that the plastic end caps that hold the rungs can crack. I think the caps were redesigned a few years ago. It may be that there's less breakage these days, but from time to time we still see posts about them cracking. The second problem is that the ladder flexes on top at the first 90 degree bend after it comes out of the roof. That allows vertical movement of the entire ladder loosening the horizontal standoff mounting screws. As the screws get looser, the flex gets worse.

I wouldn't continue using a ladder that had either of these conditions until it was repaired.