Does the 1 yr warranty cover the battery?

remoandiris

The battery in my 2014 Cy4000 is dead. Does the 1-yr warranty cover the battery? The rig has been sitting for less than a month with no load on the battery.

jimtoo

If your not plugged into 120v and do not have a battery disconnect switch your battery will be dead in about 2-3 weeks. You have a parasite drain on the battery all the time. Plug it in or hook up battery charger and it will most likely be OK.

And Yes,, your battery should have at least a 1 year warranty through your dealer.

Jim M

Jim.Allison

I would assume that the answer is no! if you look at your warranty it clearly states that the items are warranted by the manufacturer. So if its a tire or a batt the warrantee is going to be between you and them, the dealer is going to do exactly the same thing that a battery dealer is going to do and that is adjust the batt. You might however wrangle a new batt out of your dealer. On the batt there is probably a replacement warrantee for failures within the first year.

danemayer

Additional components which have been installed in the recreational vehicle, including but not limited to microwave
ovens, ranges, refrigerators, leveling jacks, furnaces/heaters, DVD/CD players, air conditioning, icemakers,
vacuum cleaners, televisions, hot water heaters, generators, power converters, batteries, and other items not
specifically manufactured by Heartland RV, LLC, are warranted by the component manufacturers as detailed in
their individual manufacturers’ warranties, and are not covered by this Limited Warranty.
Batteries would be warranted by their manufacturer.

If there's been no load, the battery may not have been charging before you put it in storage. The mini-breaker may be tripped, or perhaps the power converter plug came out of the socket.

scottyb

My understanding is that the dealers install the batteries, not the factory. I also understand that they use the cheapest batteries available. Mine didn't make it a year. I 1st went with 2 6V batteries, now 4 6V batteries. Never going back to 12V hybrid marine batteries.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Remo, find someone ( auto parts store) that sells your brand of battery. Take it to them, have them charge and test it. If it fails the test have them replace the battery under warrenty, If its under 1 year old, then it should be free to you. I would take the paper work of your purchase with you. Maybe the battery has the sales date punched out on the sticker on the top of the battery. BTW, for the last few years...HL has installed the batteries in the coaches at the plant. Maybe that has changed.....ya never know.

remoandiris

Battery is a no-name mx free type. Can't open it to add water. It has a little circular window at the top. Other mx free batteries I have seen with the little window have a green "light" in the window if they are in good condition. This battery window is blank/empty/black.

I'll plug in the unit overnight and see if there is any change in the a.m. Unless there is a problem with the inverter, the battery would have been fully charged when I parked it less than a month ago after returning from trip. When it comes to "storage", the unit gets parked beside the house and waits for the next trip. That is usually the following month.

Lynn1130

To repeat what was said before-if the unit was not plugged in to power and your battery disconnect was not engaged the battery would probably be dead inside of a month. There are parasitic draws going on in the background that will drain the battery in pretty short order.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My understanding is that the dealers install the batteries, not the factory.

I would think that the trailer would need a battery in it to be delivered to the dealership from the factory . . .

remoandiris

To repeat what was said before-if the unit was not plugged in to power and your battery disconnect was not engaged the battery would probably be dead inside of a month. There are parasitic draws going on in the background that will drain the battery in pretty short order.

Just so we're all clear, this is NOT the first time my unit has sat unused for close to a month. However, this IS the first time the battery was dead. Not just a little dead, but completely dead. I highly doubt the parasitic draws have increased since the last time it sat unplugged from one use to the next.

If the overnight charge the battery is currently receiving doesn't restore the battery, the issue is NOT a parasitic charge, but likely a bad cell or cells.

pegmikef

Battery is a no-name mx free type. Can't open it to add water. It has a little circular window at the top. Other mx free batteries I have seen with the little window have a green "light" in the window if they are in good condition. This battery window is blank/empty/black.

I'll plug in the unit overnight and see if there is any change in the a.m. Unless there is a problem with the inverter, the battery would have been fully charged when I parked it less than a month ago after returning from trip. When it comes to "storage", the unit gets parked beside the house and waits for the next trip. That is usually the following month.

You are correct, Green indicates the battery is good, anything else its not. When my dealer told me he pays thirty dollars for the batteries (I was going to have him get me a second one since I have two boxes), I took it out and bought a pair of good batteries with a multiple year warranty. No problems after a year. Interestingly, my son has the one I took out in his beater truck and it still seems to be working fine.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
When I delivered RV's several years ago, we were required to have a 12 volt battery to put into a trailer if one wasn't furnished from the factory. I used an inexpensive lawn mower battery. I assume that drivers must still do this for the emergency brakes to work in the case of a disconnect.