Illinois Safety Test for "D" plated trucks? Requirement?

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
In Texas you just get your Texas Truck Plates, and state inspection once a year (everyone needs one) and go on down the road. You also need to get your RV a trailer inspection also.

Same here in Virginia. You know, if you are required to have a license plate on it, you are required to get it inspected once a year. The only exception I'm aware of is for my motorcycles (and cars) with antique plates. But then you can't use them for every day riding either.

Ok, I have read on this forum as well as other forums about the issue what plate is required on the tow vehicle. I have read so much, and have read so many different answers I figured I would ask here.

We have a Ford Excursion diesel. GVWR is 9200 lbs. We haul a trailer that has TE plates on it. We currently are running just regular plates for the past two years now, but now that towns are giving tickets as a revenue thing, we are trying to be legal.

Can we get away with putting B plates on our tow vehicle? We are trying to avoid the C or D plates if at all possible because then we have to deal with more crap.

Thoughts? Do you think we can get away with B plates? For sure we are going to get a safety inspection on our trailer as well as our tow vehicle because we are towing more then a 8001 pound trailer.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Wow! Guess I'll do everything possible to avoid Illinois!!

TrickyD
It's only a concern if your truck is registered in IL. The problem is, it's not a clearly written requirement. It can be easily mis-understood and even the folks that run the licensing centers have different opinions of the rules.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
It's only a concern if your truck is registered in IL. The problem is, it's not a clearly written requirement. It can be easily mis-understood and even the folks that run the licensing centers have different opinions of the rules.

I just went to the DMV last week to get my plate sticker and asked them again about this plate issue. I was told my 2 workers that I didn't need anything but B plates . This is the second time I asked about this and am not going worry about it. ......Kenny

jcd8822

Joseph
Texas RV Inspection

Not everyone in Texas is on the same page about stickers. We have one for our 2006 Bighorn, but did not have it for our 2003 Wildwood. (The dealer that sold us the Wildwood "did not know about inspection stickers.") Out of curiosity we have asked different law enforcement officiers in the past and they did not know what we were talking about. LOL
Last years when we got the sticker the dealer did not know about it and we had to ask for it. (He did not know what to check out to see if we "passed" inspection, so, I told him to check the brakes and lighting system,) One can call varous agencies in Texas and many people you talk to are unaware of this. So, we get the sticker just to be legal.

Joseph

jimtoo

In Texas.

All trailers with a gross weight capacity of 4000# or more and registered in Texas must have brakes that work and all necessary lights and have a State Inspection each year for a State Inspection Sticker.

It seems very few RV dealers do the inspections or even know about them. Personally I think that if they sell and service a trailer that is required to have a state inspection, they should have someone qualified to do the inspection and issue the stickers. You can have a state inspection done at most places that do it for cars and trucks, but some do not do them for lack of room.

From an old state inspection inspector.:D

Jim M

Info regarding D plates

The only think the plates have to do with is the taxes you pay for the weight you put on the road. Has nothing to do with the GVWR. Safety Inspections have to be completed on all registration plates over 8000lbs. If the trailer has a plate over 8000lbs then the power unit has to be inspected even if it only has a "B" plate. If both units loaded weigh less than 8000lbs each then both do not need plates higher than a "B" weight limit.

tmcran

Could you let me know where you got this info? I have three ranch trailers for hauling cattle and equipment and have never had a sticker. None of my friends have stickers on their RV's.

In Texas.

All trailers with a gross weight capacity of 4000# or more and registered in Texas must have brakes that work and all necessary lights and have a State Inspection each year for a State Inspection Sticker.

It seems very few RV dealers do the inspections or even know about them. Personally I think that if they sell and service a trailer that is required to have a state inspection, they should have someone qualified to do the inspection and issue the stickers. You can have a state inspection done at most places that do it for cars and trucks, but some do not do them for lack of room.

From an old state inspection inspector.:D

Jim M

kampfirekid

I didn't know until recently I had to have it done TWICE a year.

How's that? Did you read the sticker? It has two numbers, one is the month it comes due, and the other the year. I'll admit, my staring at it for 1000 miles each week makes me a little immune to it, but the testing facility nevre fails to tell me "see 'ya in six (months)". I failed to get mine on my new truck for about three weeks. When I went in, they said the police can nab you right off the lot if they want (unlikely and "fightable" in court), but some villages take it seriously. I think Palatine sites $500 fines. Kind of stupid with the dog and pony show it commands at the test center, although it does have its merits.

tmcran

I called Texas DPS and talked with a person in the lic and weight division and he told me that under the law a sticker is required for RV and TT depeding on the weight. However, he said in 15 years he has never issued a citiation for not having a sticker. He said that is not something they enforce. He said he is awear that most people don't know the sticker is required. I checked with a number of the RV folks I know and none have ever had a problem not having a sticker and didn't know they needed one. Ah, ignorance of the law is no excuse tho..:)

Tom of Ypsi

This is off topic but I noticed in tmcran's post that the word none is replaced with an angel face. This happened to a post I made yesterday and could not fix it. Is there a reason for this or just a cliche in the system?

jimtoo

Hi tmcran, I did state inspections for 34 years. It was in our inspection manual. I do know that some 5th wheels have had tickets issued, but usually only in conjunction with other violations, speeding, accidents and such. I should have added trailers registered as farm or ranch use do not need inspections.

Jim M

tmcran

Jim thanks for the info. I called the place where I got my cattle trailers and was told there is no inspection for them. They told me that farm and ranch trailers in Texas get a lot of slack. From what I've seen some of the farm and ranch trailers are held together with bailing wire and duct tape. I would not haul anything in some of them. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Plates

Let me add a bit to this thread...

I have OK and WY plates for my truck! The WY plates are only legal as long as I keep my OK plates current. It seems that upon entering WY for work, you must register your vehicle. (I think some of the neighboring states are exempt.) They can fine you up to $750 for failure to do so!

$35 for a 90-day sticker, but then if you're here more than 90 days you can't get another one for a year. So, I went for the plates. In my case, a 2003 vehicle, it only cost me $264 for a year for WY - vs. $83.50 a year for OK. They told me the WY plates are legal in all states, but I must keep the current OK plate with me in the vehicle. Some friends working up here with 06 and 07 trucks have paid $600 - $800 for a year just for WY. WY has no state income tax, so that is one of their revenue builders. The last project I was on near Douglas, many times, the county cops were sitting at the road waiting for workers to arrive at work or leave location, and writing tickets for everyone without WY registration! (Most of these were ONLY $75, not the full $750!) I know of several idiots that received multiple tickets while working there - each fine increasing each time. I think my $264 was well spent! ;)

BTW - I only registered my truck, not the Cyclone nor Harley. No telling what the Cyclone would have cost. :eek:

TajMyhaul

Anything new on this Illinois registered & plated tow vehicles since 2009? I bought a used 2012 Ford F-450 & DMV at Springfield Illinois office registered it for me & gave me a "B" plate. Pulling a 2013 Landmark Mesa seems I would need to check on a different plate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gis99r0

Anything new on this Illinois registered & plated tow vehicles since 2009? I bought a used 2012 Ford F-450 & DMV at Springfield Illinois office registered it for me & gave me a "B" plate. Pulling a 2013 Landmark Mesa seems I would need to check on a different plate!

In Illinois there are 2 requirements for requiring a 'D' plate. Anything with a 'D' plate is automatically considered a commercial vehicle and requires an Inspection twice a year. (There are a few excepts for farm vehicles and others.) The first requirement, that has been discussed here in detail is weight.

The second is WIDTH. I believe that anything over 84" in width (not including the outside mirrors) is considered a commercial vehicle, therefore, requires a 'D' plate, and which needs to be inspected twice a year. So, if you put a flatbed on F-250, (or even an F-150), legally, you need to get it inspected. This requirement is hidden away in a different subsection of the Illinois Commercial Vehicle law. I found it once, accidentally, when I was looking for something else.

I would assume that most local police are unaware of this.

Additionally, if you go online and order a USDOT number, I believe it is still free (or very inexpensive), you will only have to have your vehicle inspected once a year. Saving you time and the second inspection fee.

wdk450

In Illinois there are 2 requirements for requiring a 'D' plate. Anything with a 'D' plate is automatically considered a commercial vehicle and requires an Inspection twice a year. (There are a few excepts for farm vehicles and others.) The first requirement, that has been discussed here in detail is weight.

The second is WIDTH. I believe that anything over 84" in width (not including the outside mirrors) is considered a commercial vehicle, therefore, requires a 'D' plate, and which needs to be inspected twice a year. So, if you put a flatbed on F-250, (or even an F-150), legally, you need to get it inspected. This requirement is hidden away in a different subsection of the Illinois Commercial Vehicle law. I found it once, accidentally, when I was looking for something else.

I would assume that most local police are unaware of this.

Additionally, if you go online and order a USDOT number, I believe it is still free (or very inexpensive), you will only have to have your vehicle inspected once a year. Saving you time and the second inspection fee.

I seem to remember from old posts on the USDOT number issue, that a $1,000,000 liability insurance policy is required for this.

BTW, how come a thread this old is still unlocked???

gis99r0

I seem to remember from old posts on the USDOT number issue, that a $1,000,000 liability insurance policy is required for this.

BTW, how come a thread this old is still unlocked???

The liability insurance requirement may have changed. It was $500,000 when I applied, but I already had that amount. Also, it needs to be a commercial insurance. I am not sure why, but when I switched from a personal policy to a commercial policy, my rate (which was already quite low), dropped about 15%.
I had switched to commercial insurance in 2009. I did not apply for mu USDOT number for a year or two later.

BTW, how come a thread this old is still unlocked??
I was wondering the same thing when it allowed me to post. I do remember seeing at least 1 from 2016 and (I believe) one from Feb or March of this year.