Added an auxiliary tank

porthole

Retired
Added an auxiliary tank RDS fuel tank diesel

To supplement the 65 gallon Titan Tank I installed a bed mounted RDS tank. Advertised specs rate it at 45 gallons. Manufacturers plate on tank says 48 and all I could get in was 40. So somewhere between 40 - 48 extra.

With 1000-1100 miles of towing range now we can do about 90% of our travels with out needing fuel on the road. Fuel has been the least expensive in New Jersey.

Valve on the tank for an extra margin of safety, 3/8" solenoid valve controlled by a dashboard up-fitter switch.
Had a piece of USCG approved fuel line just the right length laying around, along with the necessary fittings.

Attachments

• Aux_tank_1.jpg
    Aux_tank_1.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 238
  • Aux_tank_2.jpg
    Aux_tank_2.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Aux_tank_3.jpg
    Aux_tank_3.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 211
  • Aux_tank_4.jpg
    Aux_tank_4.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
That's our Saturday project - installing a 65 gallon RDS tank with tool box into the bed of the truck. Guess the guys work is cut out for them.

porthole

Retired
That tank looks familiar......

I think yours was a bit less expensive :cool:

Jon, I tried what you do on the way down to Dover. Waited until the gauge was down a bit and then switched on the valve. Seems to burn about what it drains at then.

scottyb

Duane, on my previous Chevy, my 60 g RDS would drain faster than fuel was consumed and would fill the tank going down the highway. It would not overflow, but if I left the valve open, the trip computer would freak out and the fuel gauge would go to empty. I didn't have the solenoid valve and operated it manually, so I had to stop to open it and again to close it.

Rrloren

I have the 37 gal RDS and have never gotten more than 34 Gal in it. When I first installed it I found I would get some overflow in the truck bed on a hot day. After a call to RDS they supplied a piece of hose and fitting that allows any dripping out the bottom, I think they supply those parts now.In any case if I fill to only 32 Gal it won't drip. Wasn't a problem on cold weather trips.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I have the 37 gal RDS and have never gotten more than 34 Gal in it. When I first installed it I found I would get some overflow in the truck bed on a hot day. After a call to RDS they supplied a piece of hose and fitting that allows any dripping out the bottom, I think they supply those parts now.In any case if I fill to only 32 Gal it won't drip. Wasn't a problem on cold weather trips.

Yeah. 32-34 gallons is the limit. But that gets me around 400 miles of additional travel on top of the standard tank.

davebennington

I installed a RDS 60 gallon tank several years ago and it has work out just great. I did not like the gravity feed to the main tank so I installed a solenoid valve as well as a inline pump. Too much?? maybe so but as of today I have not "lost" any fuel.
The latest mod that I did was to replace the in tank fuel gauge with a sender from JC Whitney, it requires a single wire from the sender to the gauge on the dash. Now I can see how much fuel that in left in the aux tank at a glance

dave

Garypowell

Duane,

a couple of questions.

1. Can this tank be oriented on its 9" side? I realize a hold down tab might need to be removed so it will sit properly.
2. In the northern tool site it looks like there is the needed hole towards the back lower side on the left IS THIS ACCURATE?
2.5. Are there drain holes on the other side too. Can't see that but if so would make my application easier.
3. In my orientation how tall would the tank be from the bed of the truck to the top of the the filler cap? I have to fit under my bed cover when not towing.

My thought is to stand it on end to take less back to front room. I realize the filler will be on the opposite side from the truck filler but that's OK. And the feed line would probably have to run longer unless there are drain holes on the right hand side as seen in your pictures.

Thank you you for the help.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Can't flip that particular tank. Vent and so forth are on the top right behind the fill tube. Have one just like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Duane,

a couple of questions.

1. Can this tank be oriented on its 9" side? I realize a hold down tab might need to be removed so it will sit properly.
2. In the northern tool site it looks like there is the needed hole towards the back lower side on the left IS THIS ACCURATE?
2.5. Are there drain holes on the other side too. Can't see that but if so would make my application easier.
3. In my orientation how tall would the tank be from the bed of the truck to the top of the the filler cap? I have to fit under my bed cover when not towing.

My thought is to stand it on end to take less back to front room. I realize the filler will be on the opposite side from the truck filler but that's OK. And the feed line would probably have to run longer unless there are drain holes on the right hand side as seen in your pictures.

Thank you you for the help.

Gary, RDS has plenty of vertical tanks to do exactly what you are referring to. I would think that a vertical tank may be made slightly different as far a baffling and just overall strength, e.g. thicker sides.

@Scott, only using it for the first time and only a 140 mile ride, so far no issues with the fuel gauge or MTE. It should not overflow even on a full frame tank. The tee in the filler hose has a rollover valve in it, when the ball floats, the gravity feed stops.

@RLoren I'm sure the tank "specs" are a calculation based on physical dimensions, not an actual fill volume. I haven't checked yet, but RDS's 48 gallons may come from just the actual rectangle size, Northern Tools same with subtracting the angles on the end and mine is the fact that you can't completely fill the tank since the top of the filler tube is welded a 1/2" below the top of the tank, leaving some air space.

Overflow may be limited with the rollover valve that is supplied to the tank vent.

@Dave, putting a gauge on will be on my list of things to do. I was waiting to see just how much room I had above the tank and below my toolbox.
Won't be till the end of the tow season though now.

mobilcastle

I put in an auxiliary tank also-60Gal. I prefer the gravity feed. Easy install and no pump. It is best not fill all the way and leave room for expansion. I have never lost any fuel. Excellent addition if you don't want to stop for fuel all the time or prefer to fill when disconnected from 5ver.

Garypowell

Just to close my part on this. I already have a tote box that fills some of my space in front of hitch so looking for smaller tank where I can have both. But with cover there is not enough vertical space usually. The tank mentioned here would fit if set up....I also asked Northern Tool and they replied no too

I am am going to stick to two five gallon cans for now. They will make my total range 300 miles which is fine for the way we travel.

I have always had the concern over weight too. With a SRW 250 we are always at the limit. I'll weigh when we get to Jacksonville tomorrow and I know we will be right at 14 K and the pin weight will be right at my truck limit. So probably good reason to stay away from tank anyway.

SilverRhino

When we had our Dodge 3500 I was always wishing I had an extra tank. Space and extra weight were what always stopped me from spending the money, Now we have no weight issues as we sold the Dodge and have purchased a Freightliner Sport Chassis. The extra tank is no longer an issue....... We now have twin side tanks, each holding a 100 gallons! Can't wait to get the TSLB hitch installed so we can get it on the road and find out just how far we will be able to go.

caissiel

Been using a 22 usg tank on 3 trucks. The previous GMs had 28 usg tanks but the present LWB Ford has a bigger one that does suits me well with great mileage. But the tank is a nice supporting additional gravity tank that allows additional travel without refueling as often.
I found that the Ford could warn if the fuel gauge did not drop. So I installed a solenoid valve to dump and shut periodically. So far no warning lights.
No need for a gauge in 18 years of use. The tank empties before the truck tank has a chance to empty. So the truck gauge is enough for me. Usually the level in the truck tank increases when there is still fuel in the auxiliary tank.
To do this the auxiliary tank has to be vented to the top of the truck tank filler tube. Thus allowing the air in the lower tank to vent to the top of the auxiliary tank. The system is also vented by the truck fuel cap.

My friend had an installed setup that did not vent the bottom tank and I cannot see how the auxiliary tank drained in the truck tank without proper venting while the fuel cap seals against vapor leaks, and only allows air in.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
OK the tank (60 gallon with tool box) is in and fits wonderfully under the bed cover. It's now full of fuel (about 56 gallons in aux tank, 36 in truck tank) and the truck is hooked up to the Silver Bullet ready to head to VA and the National Rally tomorrow. Rally on.

porthole

Retired
Sounds good Nathan, I'll have to take a look at the tool box size, since it fits under your cover.

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Nice, since you don't need to fill up as often, you can fill my tank when you get here so you stay in practice. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk