ATF: Greystone - Greystone A/C

Grey Ghost

I have a 2011 Heartland 29mk Greystone Vin # 5sfsg292xbe230751 and I'm wondering if I put a A/C unit in the front bedroom is it ducted or not? Is it prewired for an A/C unit?

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I put a bedroom AC in our 20-06 Big Horn 3600 and it was not vented, but worked very well. We also put a small fan in the bedroom to blow the cool air down the steps into lounge area. In July, 2014 we took deliver of a big Horn 3875FB and had the factory install the bedroom AC. It is vented and works great for cooling the front area as well as the kitchen and lounge area. When we toured the factory during the Heartland rally in June, 2013, I was told the front air would not be vented if installed after the unit was completed and shipped to the dealer. The venting of the front air must be down during construction. Happy camping and safe travels to you.

PeppyMint

I have a 2011 Greystone 32RL and I'm pretty positive the bedrooms are not vented but have been told they are wired to accept one. Been thinking of putting one in our bedroom but haven't decided on the make to go with. I've been looking at the Penguin2 or the Coleman Mach 8. Would sure like to hear some feedback on either of those A/C's.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
PeppyMint, I do have a few ideas for you.
I am not sure what you mean by the bedrooms being vented. You should have a ceiling vent or fan in your bedroom.
I you do, then you need to take the inside shroud off and take a look for some wiring up there. You would be looking for a yellow sheathed wire. Most likely it would be terminated in a plastic box.
You might also look in your breaker panel for a breaker labeled BR AC, 2nd AC or something like that.

I have not heard any bad reports about either AC unit that you have mentioned.

Peace
Dave

PeppyMint

Thanks Dave.
Did check the fuse box and it does have a breaker for a 2nd A/C which was in the on position. Flipped it off. The Penguin2 is relatively new I think. I've been searching for feedback on it to no avail. People complained about the original Penguin being noisy and wondered if they improved on that.
Mike

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
We have a 2011 32rl and it was prewired for second AC. Bought Dometic unit from CW on sale with $39 install. only problem is unit is noisy. Good to help cool camper in the day time but turn it off at night so we can sleep.

PeppyMint

We have a 2011 32rl and it was prewired for second AC. Bought Dometic unit from CW on sale with $39 install. only problem is unit is noisy. Good to help cool camper in the day time but turn it off at night so we can sleep.
Thanks for the reply, was the Dometic unit the Penguin? I know CW sells both the Penguin and the Penguin2.