Thread: Trailer hitch on the back of a RW 305 ?

1. Print this Post   #1

Trailer hitch on the back of a RW 305 ?

Is anyone towing a boat or trailer behind a RW 305 ? I want to know if anyone who has a 305, can you have a hitch installed on the back of it? Dealer said yes it can be done, however it of course will void the warranty since its modifying the frame. I've seen other fifth wheels double towing, but most of them are not toy haulers.
    Last edited by DiverB; 06-11-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - H&S Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, EGR/EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, BANKS Water-meth injection, EDGE CTS W/ turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20k hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

2. Print this Post   #2
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

Re: Trailer hitch on the back of a RW 305 ?

DiverB, yes it will void the frame warranty but you might call either HL or Lippert and ask. Can it be done.....yes. What are your state laws on double towing? How long will the combination be (wheel base)? Will the 2nd trailer have brakes? Do you need a CDL license to do it? Is it even legal to do it using a pickup truck? Is your truck legal to pull that much weight? I would ask all the questions and get all the answers before you do anything.
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

3. Print this Post   #3

All good advice. Michigan I can double tow up to 65'. I do have a CDL with both doubles & Triples endorsement + 500,000 miles of OTR experience pulling doubles. Not a problem for my truck either. Good idea on calling Lippert to find out what they say
    2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - H&S Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, EGR/EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, BANKS Water-meth injection, EDGE CTS W/ turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20k hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

4. Print this Post   #4

Hi Diver B, I have a 2010 RW305, I modified a GM 18,000 lb hitch & bolted it onto the rear stabilizer steel tubing supports after strengthening them by adding more weld on both sides. I'll put pics on my profile. In ontario Canada you can double tow up to 72.6 feet, first trailer has to be a 5th wheel double axle with brakes, second trailer lighter with tail lights. Truck needs to handle weight, police can stop you if they see any unsafe acts. Ie- trailer sway.
    Dave B.