Water Filter....

GaryB

I think a water filter, blackout shades, heat pump/AC unit and bike rack would be very popular options for Heartland to offer.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I just purchased a 08 3400RE and asked the dealer if it had a water filter built-in. He said no. I had one in my previous 5er and it broke while stored and when I charged the system water ran all over the basement. I removed it and am using a filter in line with the water supply.

Here is a website for a filter system I am going to use.
http://www.dmbruss.com/zFullTimeLifeStyle/FTLS_FreshWater.htm

Travel Safe & May God Bless
BC

Tom of Ypsi

I put the dual water filter system from Rv Water Filter Store and I have no water pressure with it. Our kitchen faucet spray ended up being a trickler and the shower had just a little better than that, took a lot longer to take a shower. Went back to an in line filter for the time being until I can figure out what is wrong. I even tried taking the filters out and the pressure was still low, maybe the canisters are too big or something, don't know what is wrong. Will eventually figure this out but wanted to let you know.

jbeletti

Bob,

Your example is the same a service center gave me last year as advice on why to not build the filters into the coach. Sure, many may never have any issues. But if one does - what a mess.

That said, I am getting tired of lugging my filters and softener in and out of the coach.

I had this idea of eliminating the oven in a new coach and getting the cabinet instead. Then, install an exterior access door on the outside and build an insulated box with plywood covered with gelcoat. Then build a 2 stage filtration and water softening system into that box. Also have a drain in the bottom or make a pan for the floor with a drain tube in it.

Then I woke up. :) But I still like the idea.

Jim

jbeletti

Tom,

I too bought my two-stage filtration system from the RV Water Filter Store. Mine works well. I think I am running a 1 micron sediment filter in the first stage.

I'm wondering if your pressure is lower than 30 PSI before the filter? Or maybe there was gunk in the water and the filter got clogged up already.

Good luck Tom and let us know what it ended up being.

Thanks,

Jim

I too purchased the dual filter system from the RV Water Filter Store, I experience decreased water pressure from the faucets. I run 52 #'s of pressure at the main hook up and it ends up running at about 20 in the coach.

I know the pressure is good as the 2nd hose attached to the main has no filters and runs like a racehorse.

Still enough pressure to make things bearable, but more would be nice.

jbeletti

While not as effective at trapping sediment, perhaps experimentation with 5 micron or higher sediment filters would be worth doing.

When I run out of the 1 micron filters, I too may try something higher.

Jim

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
We had an "in-house" filter on the previous unit that constricted the water flow so badly that we couldn't get a glass of water. I was told that this is a "very rare" occurrence and that the internal filter cartidge was the wrong type for this application. I didn't know there was a difference. But then, I found that most folks I spoke with about the filter said to scrap it and go with the in-line style. After tinkering with canister type, I rigged a hose screw in and screw off on the outside of the canister and effectively made it an in-line filter. It seems that the hose from the connection on the inside of the unit was less than 1/2" O.D., and it should have been at least a 5/8" hose to accommodate the needs for pressure. Now, it works fine as an exterior in-line filter. Camping World even sells a stand for the canister. You do need a short 3' hose to go from faucet to canister. I may be living dangerously, but I don't need a restricter any longer. I've not found the pressure to be over 50 Lbs. on the flow side.

Tom of Ypsi

Jim, I have the exact setup you do from RV Filter Store. I put the 1 micron filter first then the charcoal filter. These are new filters, I had the inline filter on before it put the dual filters on so there is not clogging of the filters. I have taken the filters out and ran under water thinking they may be clogged but no difference is noted. The water pressure is above 42 psi and I am using a 5/8" connector hose. The only thing I can see is the inlet and outlet inside the canisters are less than the 5/8" more like 1/2 inch and I am thinking this is the problem. I guess I will have to call the filter store and see it they did send me the correct ones. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
BTW it hit 95 in the Valley today.

jrlebaron

I went to Home Depot bought a house filter casing $20, bought filters the best avaibale $10 adapted it to water hose connections. This pass week mounted in the docking station compartment. Works great. Total cost to me about $50.
Jim

jimtoo

Just to pass on some info. Ace Hardware also has the same filters and housings in case your not close to a Home Depot. I think maybe just a little less expensive also.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I found the ones at Lowes (Whirlpool) was cheaper than Home Depot at $15.00 each and they had all the hose fittings , etc. I keep mine portable because I also use it to fill the fresh water tank , keeps the gunk out of the tank.....Ken