507 TST repeater install.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Need to install a TST repeater. Any recommendations or tips for install? Best area to install on coach?

Jamie

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We hooked ours into the wiring for the front bulkhead compartment light. Did not do a switch for it, like some have.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I mounted mine in the bedroom closet.
Tapped into the light for power.
It is not switched.

Peace
Dave

MTPockets

I mounted mine in that little gap under the truck tailgate and tapped into trailer plug wires. Power to antenna is only on when truck ignition is on.

dbbls59

I installed mine in the battery and hydraulic pump compartment in the front of the trailer. Wired so it is hot all the time unless the battery disconnect switch is off.

Snow

Have you tried without it ? Just wondering because I thought I would need one also but I have been on 3 trips and it did fine without it 40 ' BC. And short bed truck two of the trips were 300 miles one way and I never lost a sensor , by the way this has been probably the best piece of mind I have installed for my rig , ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

scottyb

To the back wall of the generator compartment. Came off 12v and ground buss bars with a illuminated toggle switch.

JWalker

Is the switch necessary? Does the repeater draw much power? Generally I shut off battery power, if it sits more than a week or two.

JWalker

Have you tried without it ? Just wondering because I thought I would need one also but I have been on 3 trips and it did fine without it 40 ' BC. And short bed truck two of the trips were 300 miles one way and I never lost a sensor , by the way this has been probably the best piece of mind I have installed for my rig , ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

I have not needed a repeater in our 31' rig. 2 years, no issues. The new rig is 42'. I figured I would not take the chance. TST was great at answering questions and said to try without it first. If not needed, return for full refund.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Only time I've thought about switch was passing through a construction zone where they were blasting and instructed drivers to turn off RF devices (it mentioned cb radio and cell phones). Luckily, we were driving through on Sunday, so no work was going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

Is the switch necessary? Does the repeater draw much power? Generally I shut off battery power, if it sits more than a week or two.

Depends on what kind of camping you are doing. If you are boondocking a lot, it is just another parasitic draw that you can do without and it cost very little time and money to add a switch.

porthole

Retired
Jamie, should have asked last week :rolleyes:

I have the 507, no repeater. I was getting an occasional sensor drop. I installed the "included" wired antenna and have zero issues and no power to a repeater to be concerned with.

The wire was long enough that I ran the antenna from the display, through the dash, up the "A post" and then just stuffed the antenna up in the headliner. Works great and the antenna was included (Goshen 2011 rally).
I never take the display out of the truck so disconnecting the antenna is not an issue. I keep the stub antenna in the glove box in case I need to reprogram a sensor.

whp4262

I mounted mine on the back wall of the generator compartment. I'll probably wire a switch in later but for now it's on whenever the battery switch is on.

MTPockets

I posted earlier here where I mounted mine on my truck, but everyone else here goes for mounting in the trailer; just wondering why? Your preference is what matters but I'm the curious type.

SeattleLion

I posted earlier here where I mounted mine on my truck, but everyone else here goes for mounting in the trailer; just wondering why? Your preference is what matters but I'm the curious type.

I mounted mine in the trailer to avoid adding anything more to the truck. We use the truck every day and only tow when we go off on a trip. With the repeater in our bedroom closet, it is located only a few feet from the cab with no metal between it and the receiver. Seemed particularly good to me. We have never lost communication with the wheels using this configuration.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Mark put the repeater on the outside just above the generator door. That way we can see the light when it is on. It looks like it has always been there, doesn't stand out at all. He ran the wire for a switch back into the battery compartment. Its just a simple toggle switch.

Kristy

whp4262

I mounted the repeater in the trailer because I only need it when I'm pulling it and it's one less thing attached to the truck.

JWalker

Jamie, should have asked last week :rolleyes:

I have the 507, no repeater. I was getting an occasional sensor drop. I installed the "included" wired antenna and have zero issues and no power to a repeater to be concerned with.

The wire was long enough that I ran the antenna from the display, through the dash, up the "A post" and then just stuffed the antenna up in the headliner. Works great and the antenna was included (Goshen 2011 rally).
I never take the display out of the truck so disconnecting the antenna is not an issue. I keep the stub antenna in the glove box in case I need to reprogram a sensor.

Duane, didn't really think about the potential issue until the ride home from Urbanna. Checked and I didn't get a wired antenna. Doesn't matter now, repeater arrived today.

scottyb

I mounted mine in the front compartment because when I asked TST the question, that's where they suggested that I mount it. I was asking because I didn't know the repeater's limitations on line of sight. It made sense to me since the 12V system is based there and there would be easy access to it.