Has anyone installed an Idaho Tote

macjj

Follow up. Got the enforcement (I think). After going through 4 DMV sites, I was issued a "restriction - to operate a 5th wheel RV" on a Class C (2 for the old timers). The first DMV had no clue, so I went for a Class A (1) Non-Commercial. I made three appointment trying to get the right place. Decided to take a dry run yo be sure I was going to the right place. When I found the right one, they stated the could not test me because my rig did not have a GVWR of greater than 15,000 Lbs. they sent me to another place that dealt primarily with Class A licenses, and the issued me a "restriction". Just as a side note, went back to Winterhaven, and the CHP that cited me told the Judge that it is OK to tow doubles on a Class C. Shouldn't be surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

don_reid

I also have a toytote. My question to anyone is has anyone disconnected the tote from the 5er and attached it directly to the tow vehicle? I had a hitch built to connect it to the bumper receiver. My question, Is it still considered an extension or would it then need to be licensed?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I don't know . . . but really, I think that anyone who wants to put another trailer on the back of another trailer is nuts! :)

I really don't care what is legal and what is not legal . . .

Last edited:

Lou_and_Bette

I also have a toytote. My question to anyone is has anyone disconnected the tote from the 5er and attached it directly to the tow vehicle? I had a hitch built to connect it to the bumper receiver. My question, Is it still considered an extension or would it then need to be licensed?

What a good question. I have a Swivelwheel trailer and have two extra receivers added to my truck in case I want to tow the trailer without the BH. I just moved the license plate when towing both the BH and the SW, but hadn't thought about the license when towing just the SW. Don't plan on doing that much but will have to give it some thought if I do it.

Aandaar

Follow up. Got the enforcement (I think). After going through 4 DMV sites, I was issued a "restriction - to operate a 5th wheel RV" on a Class C (2 for the old timers). The first DMV had no clue, so I went for a Class A (1) Non-Commercial. I made three appointment trying to get the right place. Decided to take a dry run yo be sure I was going to the right place. When I found the right one, they stated the could not test me because my rig did not have a GVWR of greater than 15,000 Lbs. they sent me to another place that dealt primarily with Class A licenses, and the issued me a "restriction". Just as a side note, went back to Winterhaven, and the CHP that cited me told the Judge that it is OK to tow doubles on a Class C. Shouldn't be surprised.

Jay

Based on what I have read it looks like I will need the Class A with the 2011 outline. I can't seam to find the 2015 Regs on the DMV site. Can you post a link to them.

Also I see in the 2011 regs that a driving test is needed. Anyone know what is involved with that? Years ago I had a Commercial Class A and drove cross country for CRST for a couple of years. Hopefully it is not as involved as what I did for that one. Any info is appreciated.

By the way we live in Oceanside.

macjj

Here it is

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/web/eng_pdf/dl600.pdf

As stated before, your rig needs to have a stamped GVWR of greater than 15000 lbs or the will not test you

When you go to DMV, make sure you leave with a temporary permit (good for 1 year). You will need to take the Class C and Class A written test, and you will need to fill out the Medical certification (you do not need a doctors signature or visit), you will need your doctors contact information. The driving test is in Rancho San Diego (address El Cajon). Good luck

macjj

I don't know . . . but really, I think that anyone who wants to put another trailer on the back of another trailer is nuts! :)

I also built an attachment in the event I wish to tow the tote separately. And yes I licensed it separately. When attached to the BH, I move the rear plate to the rear of the tote. I guess I am crazy, but my wife has two knees replaced, and I am tired of getting into the truck just to get something local. So I carry a small golf cart. Since the BH does not like a bike rack on the back, it makes it convent to talk them along.

gibsonjd

After researching all options, I bought a Tote this Spring. I had the receiver welded on by a custom welder. We took the rig on a 300 mile trip in June. The only problem I had was when I crossed a 4 way intersection at highway speeds and discovered the perpendicular highway was crowned. Because the motorcycle was strapped down well, everything stayed on the Tote, but it was an interesting ride.

Greg (at Idaho Tote) was very helpful, answered all my questions, and helped make this a painless process. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but I only want to do this once, and I want no problems after the fact. I believe I made a good choice.

Jim & Becky
2012 GMC Denali
2013 Heartland Elkridge
Idaho Tote
2008 HD Street Glide

chiefneon

It's not a trailer. You need to look at it before you call it that.

macjj

One special note for those that use the Idaho Tote. The compressor switch mounted on the rear of the air tank will fail. The compressor is a good unit, however the draw is over 25 amps. Most switches will ultimately fail, and you will be without air. Subsequently, at slow speeds, if you find a pothole or bump, the axel will swing to an extramarital, and you will end up dragging it. A simple fix is to incorporate a continuous duty relay in line. If you elected yo incorporate the locking option, it will not work without air. There is a fix for that as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

HAVASU4US

We do not have a 5th Wheel but do have an Idaho Tote installed on our Motorhome. We purchased from Greg about 8 years ago and have hauled it all over the USA. We have traveled thru California with it.... been stopped, inspected and received a whole hearted "thumbs up". The CHP Officer and I exchanged business cards, I have since referred two CHP officers to Idaho Tote. Obviously they felt it was Legal.

We also had Toy-Tote in Havasu extend the tote so we can now load our 900s front to rear. But after 8 years and several thousand miles , we are deciding to leave our RZR in the Colorado Rockies where we summer. We are in our mid 70"s... have loved the tote.

If anyone is interested in a Idaho Tote in excellent condition, send me a message.

cashb

We do not have a 5th Wheel but do have an Idaho Tote installed on our Motorhome. We purchased from Greg about 8 years ago and have hauled it all over the USA. We have traveled thru California with it.... been stopped, inspected and received a whole hearted "thumbs up". The CHP Officer and I exchanged business cards, I have since referred two CHP officers to Idaho Tote. Obviously they felt it was Legal.

We also had Toy-Tote in Havasu extend the tote so we can now load our 900s front to rear. But after 8 years and several thousand miles , we are deciding to leave our RZR in the Colorado Rockies where we summer. We are in our mid 70"s... have loved the tote.

If anyone is interested in a Idaho Tote in excellent condition, send me a message.

What length is the tote?