Success! The end to all our water leaks!!

This past year we have experienced so many water problems with our 2011 Big Country 3510RL model. It has been a very unfortunate experience especially when you are out on the road travelling. Not being in a home location makes it difficult to do lengthy repairs and if you take it into a shop, you have to trust the work will be done correctly. (One time we just had to take it in, since we didn't have the tools while on the road and the job was NOT done correctly when the technician worked on the hot water tank bypass).

The black water flush valve broke sending water into our bedroom, saturating the carpet and even into our heating air ducts in the basement. This was discovered in November. It saturated the felt-like rug and ripping it out was the best solution.

We continued to have water leaks at all the joints where the white hose was mixed with the Pex tubing, leaks at the hot water tank bypass to name a few. This problem has been ongoing and frustrating to say the least. Once we finally arrived home from our 6 month journey, Jon started making the necessary repairs. I can now say he is an expert with Pex tubing and is on first name basis with the plumbing staff at our local Lowe's. $800 later, our ongoing water leak problem with the RV has been repaired. A hot/cold water manifold was purchased, brass fittings, pex line, materials as well as the tools necessary to do this lengthy repair. Thank goodness Jon is so handy as there would have been no way we could have afforded shop rate for this huge job.

2013Nov25-8.jpg
Before the repair. What's with the mixing of that white hose with Pex tubing? yes, it's easier, but it doesn't work.

plumbing5.jpg
After the repair. A much neater job and easy to trace lines. Note the replaced flooring and the hot/cold manifold.

For those wondering, NO, Jon is not available for hire to do YOUR water problem repairs. I need him here to work on the next job. :)

My 2 cents... I will NEVER purchase another RV without first looking behind the walls. This is where the real money should be spent and this is where a potential customer can see how your rig was constructed. Lipstick and mascara and 'pretty things' are just that... pretty, but can fool you.

Thank you to my wonderful husband for making this lady a happy camper again.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Nice job.
The white hose is especially bad on the hot water side because it expands under heat and pressure and then begins to leak at the joints. Trace

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dbbls59

When I read the title to your post I thought you must have traded your Heartland. I have been battling water leaks for two years in my Big Country and there doesn't seem to be an end in site.

Hi Don & Joyce,

I feel your PAIN!!! We have had such a hard time with our Big Country (ours is a 2011, so I'm sure both our rigs are very similar). BELIEVE ME, I was so ready to trade the Heartland when we returned from our trip this past winter. Between water leaks, landing gear problems, an electrical fire in one outlet, the ongoing brake issues, etc etc, I just couldn't take more stress. As did everyone else who owns a rig, WE ALL PAY good money for these rigs and we were spending more time fixing it than enjoying it.

Anyway, instead of trading it, we thought long and hard... perhaps Jon thought and I just gave in cause I was ready to give UP. He thought that we may as well fix this rig and have the 'beast we know, vs getting an unknown beast and potential have more problems down the road'. We've spent a considerable amount of money on upgrades and changes in our rig and to trade it after this short time just wasn't the best value for us. I am sure that this isn't the end of our problems with the rig, but hopefully, just HOPEFULLY it's the end of some major headaches we've experienced since we've owned the unit.

So... he is committed to working very hard to getting things ship shape and giving us the home that we so want to have. Thank goodness he is so very handy and PATIENT. I would have thrown in the towel long before. I guess that's why I love him so!

Don't know if you are handy at all... but perhaps you may want to look at doing the same in your rig. After a considerable amount of $$, time and alot of work, the end can be in sight for you too (at least as far as the water problems are concerned). Wishing you lots of luck.

olcoon

Don, I thought you had gotten those problems taken care of! Maybe you should just take it down the road to Camping World, I'm sure they'll get you taken care of, from what I understand you have a personal relationship with the CEO, or someone high up there! Ok, I'm just joking...don't shoot me at the next rally, or when we meet again!!! :angel:

aatauses

Great job,What type of manifold (s) did you use? Did you do one for the hot and then another for the cold?thanksalcurrently in deadwood, SD

CurtSCH

I have a 2009 Big horn and the water leak I battle is the two main connection behind a cover board in the belly of the home. I have had to replace the t connection twice after I found leaks

Think it was because I did not use a pressure regulator in a camp site. Other than that no issues with the Big Horn 3600 RE

sengli

Looks great. I too pretty did the same thing on our 2013 coach. I did not use the manifold, but I did re-pex, and simplyfi most everything, and replaced the pump too.

Jimnkarens

I have a 2009 Big horn and the water leak I battle is the two main connection behind a cover board in the belly of the home. I have had to replace the t connection twice after I found leaks

Think it was because I did not use a pressure regulator in a camp site. Other than that no issues with the Big Horn 3600 RE
what is the max water pressure for the water line system the the regulator should be set at?

danemayer

what is the max water pressure for the water line system the the regulator should be set at?

The Heartland manual says 60psi is the max.
A PRESSURE REGULATOR SHOULD ALWAYS BE USED WHEN
CONNECTING TO CITY WATER. EXCESSIVE WATER PRESSURE CAN
DAMAGE LINES AND CONNECTIONS, CAUSING WATER DAMAGE TO
YOUR RV. MAKE SURE WATER PRESSURE NEVER EXCEEDS 60 PSI.

Seems that is what happens when "Quantity" is more important than "Quality". Could be why there is only a 1 year warranty.

Just my .02

GOTTOYS

There hasn't been a year that's gone by without a water leak or two. I don't think it will ever end...Don