kitchen vent smell

Blue Oval

I have a 2013 Silverado 36tb. The kitchen is basically the L shape where the sink like an island. The vent for the sink is under the sink in a cabinet. This causes a not so pleasant smell when you open the cabinet door. Are there any fixes for this?

danemayer

Hi Bighorn5ver,

If the vent under the sink is a Studor air admittance valve, it may not be working correctly. It's supposed to allow air into the pipe so water can drain, but not allow fumes to go the other way. I think replacements are widely available and don't cost too much.

porthole

Retired
I replaced both of my vents last year, after 4 1/2 seasons.

New vents were available at Lowes.

One new one let the tank odors through right away. The second new one lasted 6 months before the odors seeped.

Both pipes now have 1 1/2" PVC pipe plugs and no longer stink.

porthole

Retired
So you just plugged the pipes? Did this affect the drainage of the pipes?

No. The vent allows air to be drawn into the pipe when a lot of water flows, such has filling the sink with the strainer plugged and then pulling the plug. This prevents the trap from being drained by the suction.

We don't have these vents in sticks and bricks except for islands.

And, after traveling I run the kitchen and bathroom sinks to add water that may have sloshed out of the trap. If you don't know, that "P" shaped trap under your sink holds water to block any sewer gases from escaping.

Last edited:

ksmith555

We had the same issue when camping the first season in our new cyclone w/ the same L shaped slide out sink. We replaced the under sink vent w/ no luck, then bought the bottled lemon scented kitchen sink treatment that would help for the first day then the smell would return...sometimes going beyond the cabinets and making the whole trailer smell as if there was a dead mouse stuck somewhere. We covered the vent w/ plastic and duct tape (all we had at the time) and could still smell it at times. In desperation I ordered cyclone vents (link below), they replace the little mushroom caps on the roof of the RV...problem solved. We weren't having a problem w/ the bathroom but installed one there anyway just in case. They have been on a year in mid July and I highly recommend them. After a hot July 4th weekend and the stink, we were ready to give up camping lol. Capping them like porthole suggested would be cheaper though, good luck!
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/cyclone-sewer-vent/31992

porthole

Retired
Thanks for responses. I think I'll try capping the vent.

If you still have an odor after trying the 1.5" pipe plug, you have another issue with perhaps a vent pipe either not connected or poorly connected to the tank, or not going through the roof correctly.

And, we have had one member that on his coach, the person required to cut an access hole cut right through the water lines. So a mistaken cut somewhere could also be an issue.