To Fill or Not to Fill WH for Storage

57chevyconvt

While in storage, do you leave the HW tank full or water or do you drain and leave the drain plug out and relief valve open so that the residual water will eventually evaporate. I don 't like leaving a small heal of water in the tank that might cause corrosion at the liquid interface. Value you thoughts and suggestions.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
During the summer, set up on our site, I don't drain the WH when we leave it for extended periods. I do cut the power off to it and relieve the pressure in the system after turning off the water supply. For winter storage, I have to because of the freezing temperatures. Once drained, i leave the anode rod loosely in the opening so I don't have to look for it. We're still using the original anode rod. Filter system and good well water must be a good thing.

pegmikef

Because of the corrosive nature of a lot of Texas water I always drain mine and clean the annode after every trip and leave it empty until we get ready to hit the road again.

Lynn1130

Bacteria grows too easily in warm water to leave it in the tanks or the water heater. I left water in the heater by accident one time and it came out black the next time I charged the system. Water damage from corrosion, as mentioned, is another issue when the water is left for any period.

I don't think it is necessary to remove the drain plug or anode and leave the relief valve open if you sanitize the system periodically.