Adding an outlet to the U-shaped dinette

johnpsz

I work from home and as such I will be working form the e30 quite often and was planning on using the dinette for my desk while working and the rounded corner seats are quite comfortable for sitting a while. However, the Heartland, or at least ours, don't seem to have outlets in the center section of the dinette like a few other manufacturers we were debating between. I looked under the sofa (that is also next to it in the slide) and there is an electrical junction box I can tap into under there already, so it would just be running an wire to the place I want the outlet, has anyone done this?

johnpsz

Wow, almost exactly. I was thinking under the seat, but never thought about putting them in the top corners, that would be even better so you wouldn't trip on or kick wires. I have to look at my dinette though I think the design changed since I don't recall the cup holders or all that space up there.

johnpsz

Yeah, it looks like the newer U-shaped dinette is just them taking the regular dinette and spreading the benches apart and adding a box to the end and putting in a different table and rounded triangle cushions in the corners. I guess it's cheaper from a materials standpoint, but your install looks soo nice I wish I could do it like that.

Here is what mine look like:
06_5.jpg

porthole

Retired
I don't know how to highlight stuff in pictures yet with my Macbook. But, the long separator between the couch and dinette looks to have a vinyl top. That separator has to be hollow and sure looks wide enough to put an outlet right there. And on the opposite side, maybe an outlet in the vertical end post.

johnpsz

The cushion recesses into it, so it's not hollow in the way you think, but hollow on the cushion side.

johnpsz

The keystone RV we were debating on, when trying to decide on the right RV for us, had the outlets in the corner under the seating area like this:
dinette_outlet.jpg

I was thinking about doing the same (or similar) with the E30.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
The junction box I used was for an optional inflatable mattress, and it was unused. Mine was on the frame under the slide, so it added to the complexity. If your is under the sofa, inside, half your work is done.

johnpsz

Well, as I was taking the dinette apart last night to see how I was going to run the wires my DW pointed out that I could just use one of the outlets that are under either cabinet on either side of the dinette, so I guess I don't have to make this change anyway. I never noticed those outlets, but I guess she has a better vantage point due to the height difference between us, lol...