re: black-water/gray-water

Draco Dog

re: black-water/gray-water

My 2010 Big Horn 5thwheel will be stationary for several months, maybe longer, what can I use to keep the black and gray water tanks from getting offensive odors. I would prefer not using a chemical product if possible. Thanks for your help. cheri

Tundra2084

Re: black-water/gray-water

We have done the calgon water softener route before, but not that happy with it. We ended up going back to the chemicals from Walmart to keep odor out when the fiver sits for months in storage.

Last edited:

campers2

If the tanks are empty, could you leave the valves open and caps off.
Maybe worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olcoon

For about 2 years now, I've been using a product called Unique. It keeps the odors down, and when I drain the tanks, what comes out of the black tank is always liquid, unless it has been recently used. The odors aren't gone 100%, but we don't have any problems with odors, or clogs. HERE is a link to their website. The only problem I've had is finding it, some campgrounds have it in their store, and you can find it at some RV dealers.

whp4262

When I store my 5th wheel I empty and flush the tanks. Then when I park it I open the valves with the caps off and leave it that way until I'm ready to use it again. Did it the same way with my past RVs as well.

Grey Ghost

I've tried leaving the valves open and caps off, but some little critters thought it was and invitation and set up house, now that was a problem so I don't recommend that method. I've used a mixture of Calgon and Dawn dish soap and that seems to work pretty well. Mix with lots of water take it for a ride and then let is sit and dump when you get to the first campground later on down the road. Just my two cents worth.:p

campers2

There are vented twist on caps avail to keep the critters out.