Thoughts on Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel connection for gooseneck hitches

JeromyS

So love this forum and posting for feedback.

I currently have a B&W gooseneck hitch with B&W 5th wheel companion setup which I love! Sadly my driveway is a bit complex to back into and I'm constantly hitting the maximum on the B&W 5th wheel companion for side to side (visible denting). It's just a factor of the angles which I have to back my trailer into my parking spot. The pin box never hits the side of the truck, but the plastic flashing does. So I was looking around at options. I found an Anderson hitch which looks like it would replace the 5th wheel companion and provide a ball like mechanism for the 5th wheel rather than the standard king-pin to allow greater side to side rotation. Another aspect is that I am constantly pinching the 5th wheel king pin lock and have to move back and forth to eventually free it enough to unhook the trailer. Yes I know I should probably invest in leveling out my 5th wheel parking spot, however that will be a LOT more money than this option given wetlands and all the other mess that goes with it.

Product site - http://www.andersenhitches.com/Products/3225--ultimate-5th-wheel-connectiongooseneck-version.aspx
YouTube video of this hitch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78l-PadWAro

My question is really around if anyone has any experience with systems like this and what their thought is.

Thanks as always to this great community.

porthole

Retired
I use a hitch with air to get clearance for my driveway. But, this looks like a good alternative. Will be watching to see your results.
I have had or still do several Anderson hitches for the bumper hitch, Almuastinger, Rapid Hitch etc. Excellent, well made products.

The option of reversing the pin box mount could solve one issue and cause a another though. With the adapter in the forward position, can the tailgate still be dropped?

JeromyS

Mine just showed up today. I will report once I am able to test it out. Hope to have the trailer back by the end of this month. Need to get back to enjoying my second mortgage!

JeromyS

Well. The results are in.

I just pulled 2200 miles with the Anderson hitch and a Trailair TriGlide and I couldn't be happier (The B&W companion was brought along for the ride just in case)! The ride was dream and I can make extremely sharp turns if needed in my 2013 Chevy without side wall issues. The Anderson hitch moves the pivot point of the kingpin either 2" forward or backward from the actual pin depending on how you mount the adapter. The hookup is super simple and the unhook\hookup on uneven or odd ground is flawless. No more fighting pinched 5th wheel jaws. I will say that the only downside is that it's a little harder to hook up given that I can't see the hitch in the rear view mirror. And now! Pictures!

Attachments

• WP_20140831_19_45_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140831_19_45_54_Pro.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 172
  • WP_20140831_19_45_40_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140831_19_45_40_Pro.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 170
  • WP_20140831_19_45_26_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140831_19_45_26_Pro.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 177
  • WP_20140831_19_45_14_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140831_19_45_14_Pro.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 168
  • WP_20140831_19_44_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140831_19_44_47_Pro.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 171

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Jeremy,
You cost me $450! Mark bought one of these on Amazon a couple of weeks ago. We haven't pulled with it yet, but will keep you updated when we do. Glad to hear you like yours. I'm hoping it works well and isn't a very expensive experiment that fails.

Kristy