equalizer hitch setup!!!

I have a 2012 1500 crew cab 4 wheel drive towing a 09 northtrail 31qbs and I;m using a equalizer hitch. it seems like it is not setup correctly. my ball on my truck is lower than the hitch on the trailer. so when i have it hooked up to the truck then i try to jack it up to get it level as i can but can get it level enough. too much weight on the toungue i believe. the bars on the hitch are not flat across when hooked up and they are actually pointed up a little. please help!!!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You need to raise the ball.

Perhaps you need something like this, or if you already have one, you may need to flip it and raise the ball higher!

DT-1422.jpg

Sumo

The ball on your truck should be the same height, or slightly higer, as the tongue on your leveled trailer.

i have one of those already and the ball is all the way to the top. i dont know if it is taller if i flip it over and try that way. ill try though!!! thanks for the help.

pegmikef

On my EZ LIFT equalizer hitch, the hitch ball height was adjustable (I am surprised yours is not). When I owned an Edge I had to have it all the way down, but when I had a North Trail, I had to flip it over and then readjust the ball height. The correct ball height for mine was 1/8 inch for each 100 pounds of tongue weight. My tongue weight was a little over 700 hundred pounds so I just made the ball height one inch above the tongue's ball cup. Towed like a dream. The adjustments should be made when both the truck and trailer are level. The height is to allow for the "squat" of the truck when the tongue is lowered onto the hitch. This keeps the truck and trailer level when hooked up.