Fresh water tank capacity issue.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Just bought a 2009 Bighorn 3055RL and attempted to fill the fresh water tank. It takes 25 gals. and appears to be full. I have owned other trailers and had an issue with the vent tube on one, so I know what that acts like, and this isn't "burping" and taking more water. I even let it set for 20 mins. and the water is still up to the top of the fill port. The water gauge is not working correctly (not an unusual thing on most trailers from what I have seen/heard) as it reads empty. I believe this model holds something like 75 gals. Anyone run across this or have any thoughts on what may be happening? Thx.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello UncleDon. Welcome to the forum and Heartland Family.
On my 2008 Bighorn I had problems filling the fresh water tank.
Try this, take a shortish piece of hose and hole it tight to the vent hole located next to the fill port.
Try to blow into the hose and hopefully blow any water standing in the vent hose out.
Then try to fill the tank again.
This has worked for me as well as others. Give it a shot.
How did you determine that you only have 25 gallons in your tank?

Peace
Dave

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Thanks for the reply Dave. The first indication came when it only took a short time (compared to my Wildcat that holds 40 gals.) to fill. I then filled it from my 35 gal. holding tank in my truck that I use when camping in facilities that don't have water on site. From bone dry it only took 25 gals.

I'll try your tip and post my results. Thx.

Good signature BTW. I tow with an '02 Duramax dually

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Well Cookie that did the trick. Learned something new with that one. Past experience with plugged vent tubes resulted in "burping" while filling. Never had it just plum act like it was full. Thx.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Well Cookie that did the trick. Learned something new with that one. Past experience with plugged vent tubes resulted in "burping" while filling. Never had it just plum act like it was full. Thx.
Thanks for your update uncledon. When I saw Cookies reply i figured that would do the trick. Bighorns from that era had a few issues with fill & vent line routing and sometimes the lines have a sag in them that will hold some water and make filling the tank a challenge. Mine is the same way.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear that it worked out for you.
Now, someday when you feel ambitious you can drop the belly material on the off door side and see if you can eliminate any sag in the vent line.

Peace
Dave

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Just an update. Was snooping around (am a machine maintenance man so that's my weakness) and removed the angled panel inside the basement storage area to expose the back of the UDC. This also accesses the water heater, pump, and a whole lot of tubing/wiring/etc. I could see where the vent line was routed under some other stuff along with the fresh water fill flex hose. At one point the vent line was taped together with the fill hose which was causing a big "sag" point. Just in case someone else needs to remedy this same issue. Thx.