G rated tires

Gaffer

What is the factory currently shipping in the way of G rated tires? Are they still Goodyear?

jbeletti

What is the factory currently shipping in the way of G rated tires? Are they still Goodyear?

Always confirm with your dealer before placing an order, but yes, last I knew, we continue to ship all Landmarks with Goodyear G614 load range G tires - with one current exception. I believe the Landmark Newport ships with Goodyear G114 load range H tires.

When you upgrade to a G rated tire on a Bighorn for example, yes, they should be Goodyear G614, but again, confirm with your dealer prior to ordering.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Our 2014 Big Horn 3875FB came standard with the Goodyear G614 tires, and we took delivery in July, 2013. Great coach, and my DW loves the floor plan.

Gaffer

Jim, can you or Kary comment on this? My new Bighorn was scheduled to be built two weeks ago and I don't want any surprizes when it gets delivered. I did order the Goodyear G614's and it does say so on my order sheet.
My new BH came with Sailun S637 G rated and they have great reviews and are serving me well.

jbeletti

Jim, can you or Kary comment on this? My new Bighorn was scheduled to be built two weeks ago and I don't want any surprizes when it gets delivered. I did order the Goodyear G614's and it does say so on my order sheet.

Sorry - I can't check on this for you. You can contact your dealer and they can verify. If you checked the box, upgrading to Goodyear G614 tires, then that's what you should be getting.

xlrEAGLE1

I have a 2014 Bighorn 3160EL with GY G614's on it. What do you guys with G614's run for PSI? Do you just set them at 110?

danemayer

I have a 2014 Bighorn 3160EL with GY G614's on it. What do you guys with G614's run for PSI? Do you just set them at 110?
Hi xlrEAGLE1,

In general, you'll want to inflate to 110 psi. That's the Maximum Cold Inflation Pressure as stamped on the sidewall of the tire. That's the reading you want 1) at 70 (F), 2) not having towed for several hours, 3) tires not in direct sun. Early morning is a good time to check pressure. If temps are below 70 (F), for each 10 degrees, the pressure will be about 2.2 psi lower. So at 50 (F) you might see 106 psi and that would be equivalent to 110 psi at 70 (F).

If you get the trailer weighed, with individual wheel weights, and are significantly lower than 3750 lbs on each wheel, you might lower the pressure per Goodyear's inflation tables, but most people just stick with the Maximum Cold Inflation Pressure of 110 psi.

jnbhobe

I set mine around 110 but they will go up as they start moving, I have seen them go up to the 130 range when towing.

campers2

I recently upgraded from E to 614's. Run at 100psi for me. Mainly cause I did not want to push the rim rating of 110psi.
I am way under the load capacity of even E tires.
So far - good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

Weigh your rig and refer to inflation tables. The beauty of the G614 is that at 90 psi they are rated at 3300, at 100 psi they are rated at 3550 lbs, and at 110 they are rated at 3750. If you set it at 100 psi you won't ever have to adjust the pressure because of temperature or altitude. No cold inflation headache.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Birchwood

Hi xlrEAGLE1,

In general, you'll want to inflate to 110 psi. That's the Maximum Cold Inflation Pressure as stamped on the sidewall of the tire. That's the reading you want 1) at 70 (F), 2) not having towed for several hours, 3) tires not in direct sun. Early morning is a good time to check pressure. If temps are below 70 (F), for each 10 degrees, the pressure will be about 2.2 psi lower. So at 50 (F) you might see 106 psi and that would be equivalent to 110 psi at 70 (F).

If you get the trailer weighed, with individual wheel weights, and are significantly lower than 3750 lbs on each wheel, you might lower the pressure per Goodyear's inflation tables, but most people just stick with the Maximum Cold Inflation Pressure of 110 psi.

Dan: Your commented a while back in another thread that a G614 tire would be ruined with prolonged use with less than 110 psi. Is this idea with lowering tire pressure for load something new?

danemayer

Dan: Your commented a while back in another thread that a G614 tire would be ruined with prolonged use with less than 110 psi. Is this idea with lowering tire pressure for load something new?

The prior comment about running less than 110 psi was based on a specific low inflation situation.

Goodyear says if you run any length of time at 20% underinflated the tire should be considered to have been "run flat" causing damage. The main variable underneath that is how heavily loaded you are. If you're close to the max weight on the tire and instead of 110 psi you're at 85 psi, you're more than 20% low.

But Goodyear also shows inflation tables for specific loads less than maximum. So if the trailer was empty, the tires aren't fully loaded. In that case, tires inflated to a lower value than the max cold pressure on the sidewall may be ok - per the inflation tables.

My understanding is that you're trying to avoid excessive flexing of the tire as you go down the road. The part of the tire in contact with the road is flattened momentarily, causing flex. If you're overloaded or underinflated, the tire flexes more. Flex causes heat. Excessive flex causes excessive heat.

High speed also causes additional heat from more rapid flexing. Driving faster than the tire's speed rating generates more flex and more heat.

At some point the tire can't dissipate the heat buildup. When that happens, the rubber fibers are damaged by the heat. Damage is said to be cumulative and irreversible. A little damage here, a little there, and eventually something gives.

xlrEAGLE1

Thanks for all of the information. This all makes perfect sense. It's just that some of the other info out there is a bit more confusing. Take my Heartford Owner's Manual for instance...it says to run the tires at "maximum cold inflation", period. I am sure it says that with the intent of making it simple for the average person; better to be maxed than underinflated. But I know the G614 is just like the tires on my F250. They can be ran at an pressure that is matched with their load, as long as you do not underinflate them. I will probabaly run mine at 100 psi, since I only have two 6000# axles and will never exceed the weight limit of my 3160EL. Even at 100 PSI, I'll have more capcity than I'll tow. Take care everyone!