Heat strip or Heat pump

hapjack

We have a 2011 Big Horn 3585 and have been thinking about adding a heat strip to the AC or changing the AC to a AC with a heat pump. What is every ones opinion. Thank you :)

Greengas

W have a heat pump in both of our account units and we love it. Can't help with a heat strip but I'm sure there are experts on the forum who will chime in.

vakthund

... adding a heat strip to the AC or changing the AC to a AC with a heat pump. What is every ones opinion.
For us the heat strip is a better choice as the heat pump does little below 40 degrees. We bought our Cyclone with a heat pump and we rarely use it. We run the electric fireplace more.
Also, seems like an easier retrofit.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We added CheapHeat to our last 2 coaches and love it. It is a heat strip system that is added to your existing heating system. By adding it, we can switch between propane heat or electric heat by a switch installed in the instrument panel. The system also using the factory installed thermostat.

hoefler

Heat strips will work regardless of the outside temperature. We wintered in our Landmark with 2 space heaters and the heat strip in the A/C, never using the furnace. Stayed comfortable with the outside temps in the low teens.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've never had either. We just use a small space heater to supplement the furnace. If it gets cold enough you'll need the furnace to provide some warmth to the underbelly so keep that in mind.

porthole

Retired
The pumps start to work poorly getting below 50, and just about not at all below 4.
In simple terms they work the opposite of the air conditioning cooling mode. This video gives a good discretion of how a heat pump works. AFAIK, RV AC units with pumps do not have defrost cycle.

When I ordered the Cyclone I ordered it with 2 heat pumps. After the order was placed the Dometic plant in Mexico burned down - so the trailer was built without the pumps.
The dealer installed 2 heat strips for $105 each. Less eh an hour each with a t-stat change.

The heat strips will not heat up the trailer at a rate you can "feel". But, once on and running, especially overnight, they do a good job of keeping the trailer comfortable when heat is needed. I do supplement this heat with a space heater, especially since the garage is uninsulated space. They work best with the fan on constant and the speed set to low.

For the cost and performance difference I would go with heat strips.

Bohemian

The problem with heat pumps at very low temperatures is icing of the exterior coils. Ice is an insulator and prevents heat from being pumped into the interior. Some heat pumps have a heat strip next to the exterior coils so that they can be deiced, like a defrost cycle in a refrigerator.

One idea would be to try putting a heat strip next to the exterior coils of a heat pump and plug it into a thermostatic outlet adapter.Then you still get the 10-15x efficiency factor of the heat pump over resistance heating.