Black water dump valve

BRINKLEY

My black water tank dump valve will not completely close, thereby allowing a slow leak of black tank contents to continue. I have tried various chemicals in case there is a buildup of toilet paper and/or other waste at the valve. Also used the black tank backwash, but no luck. Looking for suggestions. (Heartland Landmark 5th wheel)

danemayer

Hi BRINKLEY,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions shortly. Let me also point you to our Heartland User Guides (HUG) page. The Water Systems Guide has some pointers on managing the holding tanks.

If this is Page, hopefully the toilet is in by now.

Cjackg

I had a similar problem with our Cyclone when brand new. Tried several things including working the valve back and forth for many cycles which did help a little, but the thing that seemed to help the most was when I used the Camping World black tank lube product and then worked the valve. You have to follow the directions carefully.... but it did help and mine works free and easy now!

Garypowell

Had a similar problem but could not fix it. Used extra valve at end of discharge pipe until I could fix it. Drained the tank and then raised up drain side of unit (just like you were leveling it) so anything left in tank was on other side of tank.

Dropped bottom ton and cut valve out and cleaned it. Used two rubber selves to fix where I had cut....no more problems and had built in way to easily fix problem if it came again.

GOTTOYS

Mine gave me a poop shower the first time I used it. I let my dealer know just how happy I was. Don't know if they ever fixed it when I brought it in. (I doubt it, they didn't fix half of the other stuff)) Just added a spin on valve at the end of the pipe and haven't taken it off since the trailer was new. Should be standard equipment on a new rig just for insurance...Don

donr827

Just a suggestion for anyone buying a rv. During the PDI I make sure that all tanks are filled with water. Then inspect for any leaks and to make sure the valves open and close correctly.......Don

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Brinkley, there was a recent post about valve repair or replacement that my be helpful to you.
It can be found RIGHT HERE. Check out post #11.

Peace
Dave

JanAndBill

Ours has been a problem since we got it. Dealer replaced the valve and we still had leakage. Have since found that when I close it, if I push in and hold it in for a bit that it helps. Seems like there is enough give in the cable that if you don't do this the valve doesn't close all the way.

Gary521

Mine was doing the same thing. I removed the dump valve and replaced the seals. This fixed the problem. Depending upon make and model, removing the valve is not a simple project. I would try the valve lube before attempting anything else.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Get the valterra gate valve as mentioned above and your problem will be fixed. I also, after loosing one "blue glued" it on. Been fine ever sense.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just a thought, and it might not work, but after putting on the twist-on valve, add a dose of toilet chemical and let the pipe fill with water. Leave the black tank valve fully open and let it set for a while (a couple of days maybe?). It might loosen/dissolve the stuff jamming the seat of the valve, allowing it to seat again.