Advise on Shock Absorbers

Grey Ghost

I have a 2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.2 Gaser 2wd and pull a 2011 Greystone 5ver dry weight 9240 lbs. Looking at replacing my shocks soon, the original shocks just don't seem to be doing the job. I've heard Belstein's 4600 are very good, but know very little about shocks. Any assistance would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks in advance. We very seldom pull full of water and if I have 1500 lbs loaded I would be very surprised. In the truck is just my wife, one small westie and myself and maybe a small cooler.

By the way, just returned from Yosemite National Park and it was beautiful. The fire did restrict us from seeing the half dome and El Captain, but still worth the ride. Lots of lakes, pretty mountains and some wild-life also. Would highly recommend if you have never been there to plan your visit. We stayed at a place called Pine Cliff R.V. and it was a great base camp, only $30 per night with full hookups. Mammoth Lakes area is a day trip in it self to see everything and I'm sure we missed some stuff. Nice vacation, lots of lakes, pretty views and it wasn't real crowded either.

MTPockets

The Bilstein 4600 is the recommended shock for standard trucks. Some use the 5100 which works too, but that model is for lifted or adjustable height trucks. You get the greatest effect when loaded. Bilstein is a good brand.

Rrloren

I recently put on the 4600's and run 50 psi in the rear tires when not towing and the ride seems pretty good.They are not inexpensive however.

Cjackg

I recently put on the 4600's and run 50 psi in the rear tires when not towing and the ride seems pretty good.They are not inexpensive however.

I shopped the Bilsteins all over the Internet and finally bought mine from AJUSA.com for about $67. ea. seems pretty cheap for a great shock!

farside291

You can get the Bilstein 5100's for a standard height truck, I ordered them for my 2003 Chevy 3500 to replace the original factory shocks. I must say that I feel it was pretty much a waste of money in my opinion. I saw no difference in the ride quality empty or towing. I believe that a 1 ton truck is going to ride like a 1 ton truck no matter what we do to the supension.

gvtahoe88

You can get the Bilstein 5100's for a standard height truck, I ordered them for my 2003 Chevy 3500 to replace the original factory shocks. I must say that I feel it was pretty much a waste of money in my opinion. I saw no difference in the ride quality empty or towing. I believe that a 1 ton truck is going to ride like a 1 ton truck no matter what we do to the supension.

We have a F350 Ford 2011 Model. Put on a set of 4600s last year great improvement when towing our 2012 3585 Big Horn. A little stiff when not towing but it is worth when towing because this is a very heavy trailer. Purchased the shocks on line and got them at a good deal. About half price of Les Schawb was going to charge me. Installed myself not that hard. I asked Les to install they said no, so I saved some more $$$. These shocks are very good.

lwmcguir

We saw a lot of improvement with the Bilstein's over the OEM shocks. Certainly worth the money and stopped bounce when we have a rapid stop in heavy traffic.

sjs731

I put Rancho RS9000XL on my GMC. They have a very large body which is supposed to help cooling and give more consistent performance. They also have a 9 position adjustable dampening which you can feel the difference in setting especially on the front end. I have been very pleased so far and when I bought they had a awesome rebate which was around $100 total.