Should I be concerned

Ryanjb01

A while ago I noticed that the caulk was seperated (split) on the horizontal section above the part of the trailer that sits directly above my truck bed.

Seeing this I removed all of the original sealant/caulk, cleaned and prepped for a new layer of caulk. Picked up a caulk from an RV dealer that said it was specifically made for the RV fiberglass in an outdoor location.

Finished the job, all looked great and then let it sit for about 9 days.

Loaded up the trailer for a trip. After I pulled into the campsite I noticed my caulk had all split again, it actually looked just like it did before I replaced the caulking.

I am wondering if the frame is actually allowing the parts to move that much.

I do realize there could be a lot of stress in that location. However . . .

A few questions:

Do I need to be concerned?

If this is normal, how do I go about sealing this location? No other area has this issue.

As a side note, one of the inside doors does not line up to close unless on a very level site. Like a concrete pad site.

Jim.Allison

I would say that you have a problem that needs to be looked at before it becomes a larger problem. I would ask you if you can determine if anyone else had worked on that seam or joint before you?

danemayer

Hi Ryan,

Take some clear pictures that show the problem. Include a picture with the trailer hitched and a picture from the same exact place with the trailer unhitched. Put the camera on a tripod if possible. Then call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Explain the problem and let them know you have pictures. They'll take a look and advise you on possible cause and what needs to be done.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I think that you do have an issue. Does the "split" in the caulking get smaller when unhooked? Our Horn did this many years ago. The problem then was the screws holding the aluminum verticle frame for the front storage compartment to the main frame had broken. I fixed that problem and all was good for several years.The Horn is in the shop now having the frame front cross member repaired for excessive frame flex (broken welds).

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
ours was fixed by the dealer under warranty then again just like Bob's at the Wyoming Rally. That being said it is doing it again???

ray587

My RW toyhauler has done since day 1. I dropped the trim and tightened the lag bolts that connected the frame to the sidewall. They were'nt even tight. Actually that's what Heartland told me to do.

Ryanjb01

This seems to be a significant safety issue. I just researched this and lippert has a lot of explaining to do. And I am assuming my frame is a lippert. They better do something in or out of any warranty.

And if they do not, Heartland better.

Either way as soon as I get home I will be contacting multiple people to get this figured out.

Thanks for the information everyone. I appreciate it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
This seems to be a significant safety issue. I just researched this and lippert has a lot of explaining to do. And I am assuming my frame is a lippert. They better do something in or out of any warranty.

And if they do not, Heartland better.

Either way as soon as I get home I will be contacting multiple people to get this figured out.

Thanks for the information everyone. I appreciate it.

I don't think it's a safety issue. Heartland confirmed we needed a fix in June of 2012, but we could not get it fixed until March 2013. Heartland said we could use the unit with no restrictions until we could come to the factory.

I understand your concern, but threatening demeanor is not needed to get a resolution. Heartland will want specific pictures and can advise you of a solution.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ryanjb01, do as others have said. Contact Heartland, explain the situation and have your VIN in hand.
Take a deep breath and relax before making the call.
I know of several people, including myself that have had similar symptoms. None have been turned down for repairs if needed.
Also, do you see any separation of any cabinetry in the front closet?

Parrothead63, how is your door not aligning? Picture?
It may just need a minor adjustment, such as adding or removing a shim from the door jamb.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Where is the caulking splitting do you have a picture I just bought a 14 and the bedroom door does not align.

Hi parrothead63,

If the door alignment problem is that it sometimes doesn't latch, you'll find that slight differences in leveling can cause the door to align a little differently each setup. If that's what's happening, an elongated striker plate from Home Depot or Lowes will fix you up in 5 minutes for about $3. Much easier than a trip to the dealer.

Hi parrothead63,

If the door alignment problem is that it sometimes doesn't latch, you'll find that slight differences in leveling can cause the door to align a little differently each setup. If that's what's happening, an elongated striker plate from Home Depot or Lowes will fix you up in 5 minutes for about $3. Much easier than a trip to the dealer.

Thanks, I will do that.

I found out it may be a leveling issue. Thanks for asking.

Last edited by a moderator: