Slide out gears pop when extending

farside291

My one month old 3950FB big slides pop when extending. Not all the time but once in awhile. Its like the gears are not aligning with the gears on the slide out. I know your not supposed to put anything other than a dry lubricant on the mechanism but would a little grease on the small drive gear hurt? It sounds like the teeth are going to break when the popping happens.

donr827

I would take it back to the dealer before messing with the gears. Some better informed members will give you a better idea as to what the problem might be.......................Don

danemayer

It sounds like the teeth are going to break when the popping happens.
If dry lube doesn't help, I'm not sure why grease would help. Sounds more like there's a bind or maybe the gears aren't engaging properly.

Garypowell

There are (on my unit) big grey rollers hooked to the slide than roll on the floor and smaller whit rollers hooked to the floor that ride on the slide.

Mine popped a couple of times and I looked under from the inside and a grey roller was riding up over a white roller.

Might want to get on your knees and check this out from the inside if possible.

I hack sawed out the grey roller out so the noise stopped but can't figure out why the slide shifted. But one wiper no longer touches at the top.

farside291

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm taking it on a trip next week if they pop again when I extend the slides I will let the dealer fix it. No sense chancing voiding my warrenty.

farside291

Well, I retracted the kitchen slide and it came in just fine. Got to my destination and the kitchen slide started to extend then one side stopped and the other side continued going out crooked and popping like crazy until extended. My wife thinks there may be a soft dog toy wedged under the back of slide floor because the front comes in faster than the back. I am going to bring the slide in about 6 inches and see if I can see under it for any obstructions. How does the slide go out crooked? Is the slide mechanism not on a common drive gear driving both ends equally or are the ends driven individually?

Garypowell

I am no expert but that hydraulic Ram will keep pushing no matter what. Anytime we have had something stuck or in the way....the slide went crooked....or the bottom kept coming while the top stayed in place.

This is why when we move slides one of us is inside and the other is outside WATCHING. We have a signal of pounding on the side when the outside person is ready and then again if there is a good reason to stop.

A problem has only happened once or twice but it can ruin your day when it does. Broke a cabinet door once....scratched another one during another incident.

Not telling what you have until you find it....could be that soft toy, the cat you are missing.....or some parts that are not lining up properly.

farside291

I was wondering what happened to that darn cat...just kidding, no cats. But as soon as the rain quits I have to bring that slide in and check under it. I noticed last night the carpet was damp in front of the fireplace. So the slide must not be completely out. We went through some real gully washers when we first got it and everything was dry as a bone so I know the slide seals completely when extended correctly.