Looking for an answer from a Factory Rep

permstev

I have been looking at buying a 5th wheel for a couple of years and I almost made the mistake of buying a Couger 2 years ago. Then I did my homework and found the Sundance line and I am most impressed at what I have seen and read.

So the time has come to buy one and low and behold I found out that Hearland has a new Surndace line out this year, the XLT series. After scouring the brouchure I made up my mind that I wanted a 285bh XLT. I went the local rv dealer yesterday and they had 2 on the lot, one had just come in that morning. My wife and I looked at a couple of the standard Sundance models including the 2998RB and almost thought about getting that model. Also looked at an 07 bunkhouse model and liked it as well. Then we came back to the XLT and I think this is going to be our choice. The main reason is size, the XLT model is 30.5 fet instead of 33 or 34 feet like the standard bunkhouse models. I put a small deposit on it and I am going to attend the local RV show this weekend and look at everything else out there, then make the final decision.

One concern that I had was all of the "regular" Sundance 5ers tout the enclosed heated underbelly to keep your tanks from freezing. I noticed the xlt had the valves down low exposed and not enclosed in the underbelly. I wish I had looked a little more closley at the model but there was about 10 inches of snow on the ground, so I did not get a good look.

I am hoping that a factory rep can answer this question, does the XLT line offer a heated underbelly with enclosed valves for the holding tanks? In the brochere, it states that the XLT line offers an "Enclosed and Heated Underbelly" if you get the "XLT Strength Package." Maybe this model on the lot did not have the "xlt strenght package", but I think it might have.

Thanks in advance
Shane

linuxkidd

The lines you saw w/ the valves on them are probably the Low point drains. They are the current Achilles heel of winter RV'ing for many Heartland owners. The problem is that they contain a slug of water all the way down to the valves, and the T connector at the top of those lines passes water to the kitchen faucet. So, when the temp drops below about 30 degrees, the water in those lines freezes all the way up into the T's and the Kitchen water stops.

Now, there are a couple of things you can do to prevent this if you are winter camping. If you're not winter camping and have everything winterized.. it's a moot point.

The one other low hanging line w/ a valve that's probably on the off-door side is the fresh water drain.

LK

**Note: I don't know if the one you looked at had an enclosed / heated belly or not. Just relaying info on what I do know about. :)

JohnL

Sundance Product Manager
Shane, thank you for buying a Sundance, the 5th Wheels are heated underbelly BUT the gate valve is exposed (which makes no sense). the travel trailers are enclosed gate valves, but we could not get the 5th wheels because of the location of tanks and several other items due to the floor being laminated. what show are you going to this weekend i will let the rep know so he could talk a little more with you. thanks and have a great day. John SD Mgr

permstev

Thanks for the quick replies. The way I remember the set up is yes, the grey water and black water lines come down to a T then open into the drain itself. The gate valves are in each line just a few inches away from the T and drain and they ARE outside the underbelly.

John
Not sure why you cannot enclose these valves as you do in the regular Sundance 5th wheel line. The floor plan for the 285 bh XLT is not that much different than the regular model floor plans. No worry though, I really don't plan on camping that much in the cold, but it would be nice to have them enclosed in case I do go out in the early spring and late fall and we have a cold night or two.

Another issue for the factory to think about.

I did talk to the salesperson at my RV dealer this morning and one of my concerns with the new XLT line is the new microwave/convection oven combo that you have put in the unit this year. I live in Idaho and most of the places I like to go camping are in areas where there are not even designated campgrounds let alone hookups of any type. Out here most of us dry camp whether it is in a designated campground or out in the boonies. I would say 90-95% of the campgrounds around here have no hookups!!!!! Well this new unit has a convection oven that can only be run off 110 power. I asked my dealer about changing this combo unit out for a regular gas oven range and add the microwave up above in place of a cabinet. The dealer said they could do this, but it would cost about $300 extra dollars to do it. I told them that is what I would like to do. Well they call me this morning and say that the new microwave/convection oven combo is 2 inches wider then the standard gas oven with burners, so in order to make this fit, they will have to order a new counter top and that will cost me an extra $500+ dollars. I then asked about ordering a trailer new from the factory with the gas oven already in it. The dealer says they talked to the factory and the factory says this is the new unit and they will not add in the old standard gas oven for me.

I haven't made up my mind as to what I am going to do yet. I thought it might be better to put the $500 dollars towards a generator to run the oven and charge the batteries if I need it, but I do think this is shortsighted thought from the factory and company. I don't know what your market is out here in the west but I have been to many campgrounds and places in WY, UT, MT and Idaho and I can guarantee you that 90% of the campgrounds out here to not have hookups, so I would like to suggest keeping this gas oven option open for your market out here.

My comments are by no means intended to be a "hit" against the product and I understand that the XLT line is new for this year. My dealer told me one of the reasons the factory told them they are using the microwave/convection oven combo is that is saves on weight. I am absolutely amazed that someone from the factory would and has taken the time to address my questions. I just want to bring this point up about the new oven combo as I think it could be a deterrent to sales for people in this area of the country.

Thanks again for you time
Shane

jfrench

there is alot diff from the 2 floors. talk to your factory rep at the show. I bet they will even have a cut out to show you.