Single Rear Wheels vs Dual Rear Wheels, Everyday Driving???

Bohemian

Ok, I am totally convinced on the benefits of towing with a dually tow vehicle.

Now, just how bad are the downside aspects of everyday driving with a dually pickup around town, on vacation, getting in and out of tight spots at beach or hiking trail parking city driving and parking etc.

emm4273610re

I've owned a dually for over 14 years and used it everyday. Not the most practical I know, but I do. You'll learn that most of the time it's faster and easier to park out away and walk in instead of circling around for that spot up front no matter what you're driving. I just think of the exercise I'm getting :rolleyes: ! I find it's easier to back into the spot so people aren't trying to get around the wide fenders. Good luck !

slborba

I have a 2014 3500 Silverado DRW 4x4; I drive to work, use when kayaking/hiking w/gear......I LOVE it. Sure it's more rough than my sport Honda Accord or Suburban......but definitely is the "Cadillac" of trucks. Of corse JMHO.....

MTPockets

Our Dually is our daily driver and love it, even more than our previous SRW. You learn to look for parking spots that fit. I usually back in; the rear camera is great. I feel more confident towing with the DRW and knowing I'm not overloaded.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Since we always have the dually on our trips for sightseeing, one thing I've noticed in "touristy" areas, say a quaint Main Street or something where parking is scarce, it's sometimes hard to find a spot. Especially if it's parallel parking lining the street. We often have to find a lot a block over and walk, but it's more of a minor inconvenience than a "con".

On the flip side, if it's a crowded area and there are attendants directing the parking, we often get directed to "oversized parking" for trucks and vans and busses. Often, it's closer in than if we were in a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok, I am totally convinced on the benefits of towing with a dually tow vehicle.

Now, just how bad are the downside aspects of everyday driving with a dually pickup around town, on vacation, getting in and out of tight spots at beach or hiking trail parking city driving and parking etc.

Ours is a daily driver for us and not much problem. There is a bank drive through we can't get through but there are many others we can. I can park up front if I don't care about door dings but our truck is still new so I park out a little so some bozo does not ding it all up. Overall no issues.

guyc66

Do most of you with duallies park them inside your garage or leave them outside? We seem to get a lot of hail in Colorado Springs and I prefer to keep my truck in the garage if at all possible.....just wondering if a dually truck would even fit inside (width wise).

blong

Drive mine daily and have for last three years and love it. get the rear camera and parking assist, helps a lot.
As others have said, you just park a little farther away and I don't take it Christmas shopping on the 23rd. After few months you will be able to squeeze into most spots no problem. Definitely easier to change lanes on the highway and when I do borrow a friends car to drive to work, I cant seem understand why other cars are not diving out of the way to let me in when I put my signal on, like they seem to when I am in my dually.
We also have experienced the preferred parking at special events, they usually put us with the Escalades and Jaguars right next to the door, and Disney even gave us a double wide and long spot at no extra charge. although, I am sure we more than made up for the difference once inside the park $$$.

Ladiver

Consider this...

All of the negatives listed above are pretty much the same as with a Crew Cab Long Bed SRW! You are not parking in tight spaces. You are not driving in congested areas. You will never be able to make a u-turn turn on a 2 lane road.

So, really a DRW vs SRW is not a big difference. Get what you are most comfortable with and which suits your towing needs.

pegmikef

I agree with what Jeff said. i actually have more of a problem with mine because of the length (long bed, crew cab) than I do because it is a dually. I just usually park way out and take up a couple of spaces.

Garage. No, I have a three car garage that I built myself and never dreamed I would ever own a long bed dually. If I had I would have added two feet to the depth and widened one of the doors by a foot.

thibideau

I love our dually and it is used as our driver as well. Parking further from the door just gives us more exercise

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine is my daily driver, also. Congested lots, I back in perimeter spots further from the door, or just take two lengthwise if I need to put stuff in the bed.

With all of my woodworking tools in the 2-car garage along with the wife's Equinox, the truck sits on the driveway. I did get the driveway widened so I can back in and still have room not to have to walk on the grass or have to jockey the wife's vehicle around it.

We do use the Equinox for long road trips, mainly for the 30+ mpg it gets.

Bohemian

Thanks for all the great responses.

Personally, I always park away from the crowds and walk. It's quicker and easier. Even at 65.

As far as beaches and hiking trails go, I was thinking of places where there are only a few spaces, 5-10, and narrow roads with miles to walk for alternatives. Hey, you just gotta work around It. Cities are always a problem.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Won't fit in our garage, but then, neither did the Toyota Tundra! Get a couple of thick quilts to throw on it when the hail is coming?!

Bohemian

For those with trucks with GCWR greater than 26,000 lbs and trailers with GVWR greater than 10,000 lbs:

Do you drive with a Class C or a Class A license?

Birchwood

The dually is the ultimate driving machine and you will get lots of respect from other drivers but then at $80,000 CDN for a Chevy dually why wouldn't you!

whp4262

I have driven a dually as a daily driver for the last 9+ years without any problems and I drive 820/183 every day between Azle and DFW airport. I usually back into parking spots and usually try to take the spot on the end preferably so I can hang the rear bumper over the grass. I have a class A but it's more for my dump truck and the stuff I pull sometimes. So never looked into the license requirements for the dually.

Ladiver

For those with trucks with GCWR greater than 26,000 lbs and trailers with GVWR greater than 10,000 lbs:

Do you drive with a Class C or a Class A license?

Non-Commercial Class A. required by California law if trailer is over 15,000 GVWR.

Miltp920

I have a 24 x 26 garage with a standard garage door. The garage door is seven feet high and 9 feet wide. I just had a buddy pull his F450 long bed 4x4 dually into my garage to see if it would fit. I fed him dinner as a kind thank-you. He had to put his power mirrors in to get in and out. Power mirrors-good option! I could still get around in front of the truck to the far side. Just enough clearance in the rear to get the door down, and a few inches to spare. I think it could be done in a 24x24, but you would only be able to get in drivers door. There would be no room in front or back for passage. Best advice, if you test drive one, try to park it in your garage FIRST. I currently park a short box crew cab 4x4 in there. The dually is a tighter fit, but it is doable.

Bohemian

Class A is not required in NY unless the truck is over 26,000 GCWR and the trailer is over 10,000 GVWR. The only Class A is a CDL.