Anderson Valve

olcoon

I'm asking this for a friend who has a 2014 Big Horn 3585. He is on his second trip with it, and tonight hooked up to the water connection with the Anderson valve in the city water position, and not getting any water. The water is turned on at the water connection, and nothing is coming out. We checked to see if there was a blockage in the hose or where it connects into the UDC, and there wasn't. When the valve was turned about ½ way between the city water & winterization positions, you could hear water running, & water would come out of the kitchen faucet. Turn it ½ way between city water & fresh water tank & you could hear water running into the FW tank. We turned it between city water & winterization, & went back inside & talked for a while, then went back out & checked it, and could hear water running through the hose, and nothing was turned on inside the coach. When I turned it back to between city water & fresh water tank, it kind of sounded like water was going into the tank, but also kind of sounded like water was running behind the UDC bulkhead. It was late & dark, plus he has a lot of stuff in the basement, so we didn't pull the basement bulkhead out. Can anyone give any advise? Going to check further in the morning, & he's planning on calling Heartland also.

donr827

Make sure the valve is in the right position. When I did the PDI on my trailer the person doing the PDI showed me the position for the fresh water intake to the interior faucets. Went to their cg and hooked up the way he said to. Went inside and no water anywhere inside the trailer. I could hear water running so I turned the water off. To make the story short he showed me the wrong position for the valve. The position that he showed me was for the water tank. Your problem could be the valve itself but read the manual and look closely on the labeling in the UDC...........Don

Last edited:

danemayer

Roy,

Here's a link to the service document for the Anderson Valve.

Btw, the black tank flush doesn't go through the Anderson Valve. It uses a separate hookup and it the water hose is connected to the black tank flush, you'll hear water running, but nothing will come out the faucets. Eventually, water will come out either at the roof or from the underbelly.

olcoon

My problem is that I don't have the Anderson valve, and about the only thing I know about it is what I've read on here. I checked to see if he accidentally hooked it up to the black tank flush & am pretty certain it's connected correctly. When the valve is pointing towards the "city water", nothing happens. You can feel it click into position. But if you put it ½ way between the 2 locations, water will flow through the system and out the faucets, and the stool will flush. When you turn it back to "city water" nothing happens. I'm kind of thinking the Anderson valve may be messed up. Also I'm thinking that we'll have to pull the basement bulkhead out & look behind the UDC to make sure there is no leaking back there. Is it possible that when we hear water running, it could be going into the FW tank? When we hear the water running all faucets inside the coach are off, and the valve is positioned between "city water" and "winterize".

danemayer

Roy,

It sounds like the selector is out of position. I had thought that it was designed to make that impossible, but perhaps not. If you hear water running and it's not going through the faucets, assuming the pump is off, there's either a leak somewhere, or it's going into the fresh tank - which is what the TANK position is for.

The service document includes a diagram of the control and instructions on how to remove it from the outside. If the valve worked on the first trip, perhaps something has slipped and can be put back.

I'd also take a look behind the UDC to make sure there are no leaks on the backside of the valve.

And of course, on a new trailer, if it never worked correctly, maybe the hoses are hooked up to the wrong positions on the valve. The service doc also covers that.

olcoon

Thanks, Dan & donr827! Dan, as far as I know it worked ok on the first trip, at least he never said anything to me about any issues & we were with them. I'm thinking it may be something in the valve. We are in Branson, but we are leaving today & they are staying, as far as I know the closest Heartland dealer is down by Mountain Home, Ar. I advised him to call Heartland this morning to see what they recommend, & in the meantime hopefully the two of us will be able to look at it before we have to leave.

olcoon

It looks like Heartland hit another home run! He called Heartland & they approved a mobil rv tech to come to the campground & fix the issue, so it looks like the problem will get taken care of.

olcoon

Well, I got a call from my friend a while ago, and he resolved the issue without the mobile service tech. He pulled everything out of the basement & removed the bulkhead, and there was a loose connection. When the water was on, it was spewing. He tightened it up & everything worked as it should. What's puzzling is that when he first connected the water & turned it on it worked & later quit working. I guess that it just picked that time to loosen enough to leak, possibly because of the water pressure on the valve. What I don't understand is why it wouldn't allow water into the coach, possibly not enough pressure? Any way it's now working & fortunately he decided to leave the water turned off until today & got back there & found the problem. The service tech was almost there & went ahead & showed up & he agreed. He also suggested replacing all the plastic fittings with brass, and now that's on the schedule of "things to be done". Don & Dan, thank you for your suggestions!

Roy

Cjackg

......... The service tech was almost there & went ahead & showed up & he agreed. He also suggested replacing all the plastic fittings with brass, and now that's on the schedule of "things to be done".....
I recently got a good look at the plumbing behind the wall and near the UDC in my Cyclone and was kinda surprised to see just how many plastic fittings are used. I would not be surprised to learn that using Pex pinch crimps with plastic fittings gives a high failure rate. Do other major RV mfgs now do this also ?

PlasticPex.JPG

Last edited:

olcoon

From what the RV Tech said it's pretty much standard industry wide & has been for a few years. Apparently they ALL are trying to cut costs at our expense.