Opinions Wanted: Water and Ice in the Refrigerator

What is your interest in a water dispenser and icemaker in an RV refrigerator?

• NEITHER: We would NOT be interested in a refer with a water dispenser and icemaker

Votes: 47 50.0%
  • STAND ALONE: We prefer a stand-alone icemaker. We have NO interest in a water dispenser in the refer

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • WATER ONLY: We prefer a stand-alone icemaker. We ARE interested in a water dispenser in the refer

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • ICE ONLY: We ARE interested in an icemaker only in the refer

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • BOTH: We ARE interested in both a water dispenser AND an icemaker in the refer

Votes: 27 28.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenssr

If I were full-timing a residential refrigerator would probably be the way to go. For my purposes now, RV refrigerators and portable ice makers are the most convenient. I've tried my portable ice maker in the kitchen and in the basement. We tend to like it in the basement. Less convenient, but also less noise which trumps the less convenient thing. Plus, the portable ice maker makes this soft, airy, really good ice. As far as water through the door, I guess I would prefer both. The water gets chilled, which would be convenient at times.

Majestic

We currently have both in the ref., never used them, disconnected the line. They came from the factory with water in them and all froze up.

We installed a water dispenser tap at the sinks which is fed from bottled water in the belly on its own pump. Easy to winterize, always good tasting water.

Jimnkarens

We have a residential Frigidaire in our Bighorn. We are fulltimers. We love it. No problems. Wouldn't have it any other way.

ILH

Frankly we'd love both ice and water from the fridge - as we do in our home. But if you live in cold climates, its just not practical for the RV.

porthole

Retired
I saw multiple new trailer models this weekend that now put a small door on the outside located where the fridge plug connection and water lines are located.
And ............. the doors were painted to match the trailer :eek:

jbeletti

I saw multiple new trailer models this weekend that now put a small door on the outside located where the fridge plug connection and water lines are located.
And ............. the doors were painted to match the trailer :eek:

Duane - any pics? Are you saying this was a small access hatch behind a "residential" refer where you could access the AC receptacle and a water line shut-off valve? Trying to understand what you saw and what the benefit of it is. Also, is this hatch insulated in some way or does it not really penetrate the entire side wall into the living space?

porthole

Retired
Jim - no pics. Just think of a 1' square 1" thick insulated baggage door on the outside wall in the crucial position behind the fridge.

So yes to your first question, and yes it is a hole in the side of the coach.

The benefit as I understand it allows the fridge to be installed and connections made after installation, as well as service without removing the the unit.

mntnman

Past Chapter Leader, SC and KY
Water only that way the doors stay closed to help keep the other items cold. Just use ice trays for the little amount of ice we use.

bob34787

would love at least an ice maker.... wait a minute, according to my invoice mine came with a 4 door refrig. with ice maker, I hope they did not mean the cube trays because that's all I got !

I would not have water going to my frig for anything again. I have always winterized with compressed air with no problems on our Holiday Rambler, then the King of the road and a couple of lesser campers in the beginning a long time ago. Non of these had water to the frig. When I did our Bighorn the same way we ended up having to replace the ice maker and water line. I had over looked the ice maker. Lesson learned on something we could easily do without. I keep the valve turned off all the time now. Maine can get very cold in the winter and things will freeze and break.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.