Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Extended range fuel tank

1. Print this Post   #1

Extended range fuel tank

Has anybody put a larger fuel tank on there tow rig yet. I am thinking about putting a replacement tank in place of the stock tank to increase my capacity to 50 gallons. I get tired stopping every 150-200 miles when pulling my 5th wheel.

I am just curious what type to go with and how hard/easy it is to install. I am thinking more about the kind that replaces the stock tank rather than the in bed type since I do tow a 5th wheel.
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually
    2008 Cyclone 3795

2. Print this Post   #2

I put an in the bed tank, under roll top tank from Auxtank.com.

I did this for a few reasons.

1. Adding just a replacement tank gave me 52 gallons, with the in bed I end up with over 61 gallons. This gives me better range.

2. If I buy another truck I can just remove it and I don't have to store a stock tank if I went the route of replacing the stock tank.

3. If I want to add more capacity I can always add a replacement for the stock tank, upping my capacity to 83 gallons.

4. It fit under my roll top, which was always wasted space.

5. A 52 gallon replacement tank will give you errors on your instrument panel as it's calibrated for a stock tank.

6. I was able to hook it up to one of my stock uplifter switches and it has it's own sending unit. No errors and gives me how much is in the aux tank. I just flip the switch while driving down the road.
    Blog and projects page

2009 Bighorn 3400RL .
    2008 F350, SB, CC with B&W Companion Hitch/ 30 Gallon under roll top tank and timbrens.
    Disc brake upgrade
    3500lb spring upgrade

3. Print this Post   #3

Quote Originally Posted by creeper View Post
    I put an in the bed tank, under roll top tank from Auxtank.com.

I did this for a few reasons.

1. Adding just a replacement tank gave me 52 gallons, with the in bed I end up with over 61 gallons. This gives me better range.

2. If I buy another truck I can just remove it and I don't have to store a stock tank if I went the route of replacing the stock tank.

3. If I want to add more capacity I can always add a replacement for the stock tank, upping my capacity to 83 gallons.

4. It fit under my roll top, which was always wasted space.

5. A 52 gallon replacement tank will give you errors on your instrument panel as it's calibrated for a stock tank.

6. I was able to hook it up to one of my stock uplifter switches and it has it's own sending unit. No errors and gives me how much is in the aux tank. I just flip the switch while driving down the road.
    I appreciate the input and will look into that as an option. The Titan fuel tanks that I have been looking at states that it uses the stock sending unit and hoses. Would that through codes on my instrument panel?
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually
    2008 Cyclone 3795

4. Print this Post   #4

I went with a transfer flow tank / toolbox combo. Installation took a few hours, and went very well. It adds 50 gallons capacity and has a computer controlled transfer pump that gradually adds fuel to your main tank as needed. There is a digital readout to mount on your dashboard to inform you of your fuel status. This setup gives me 88 gallon capacity.
    The system has performed flawlessly and I would definately recommend it to anyone.
    2008 F-450 Powerstroke,1999 Road King Classic,1999 Sportster Custom (wife's bike), previous camper Arctic Fox 1140 slide-in, Present RV 4012 Cyclone Full Throttle / Metal AV

5. Print this Post   #5
    Southeast Regional Director, HOC davebennington's Avatar

I put a RDS tank purchased from Northern tool. It is a 60 gallon with a tool box. I put a cutoff switch and a fuel pump to transfer from the aux tank to the main tank, it is plumbed in by cutting the rubber hose that is used for the vent or over flow. It gives us a 96 gallon total fuel on board. So far it has worked out very well.

Dave
    Southeast Region Director Heartland Owners Club HOC #1006. 2006 Ram 3500 White Laramie, New: 2015 Landmark 365 - Landmark/Ashland Old: 2006 "Classic Landmark" Heartland/Golden Gate #583. Passport America

Is the Heartland Owners Club for you????
    Click Here

6. Print this Post   #6

I replaced my stock tank with a 48 gal unit from Aero Enterprises, good install, they will not sell the GMC tank not installed. It is in the same position as the OEM, it is just longer and is made of steel. The gauge does not budge for the first 120 miles or so and it reads pretty accurately at 1/2. When the alarm sounds there is still 8-10 gals left.......................
    Suzin & Roger
    2006 BH 3600RL #2825 w/options
    2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax w/ Allison

7. Print this Post   #7

I added an additional toolbox/fueltank combo with 52 gallon capacity. Tubed it into the regular tank and gives me upwards of 800-1000 miles towing. So that way I don't have to worry about fueling in stations with rig attached!
    '07 Bighorn 2925RK, 07 Dodge Ram Big Horn 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 6 spd auto, 540 watts solar, Tankless water heater, Centerpoint suspension,Trailair pin box http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm
    Heartland Owner 1097

8. Print this Post   #8

American Tank & Tool Box.. Frisco TX

I had a 45 gal combo fuel tank installed in the bed of my F250 from American Tank. http://www.auxtank.com/auxtank/home.asp

It has a float installed and connects to the OEM Gas Gage and a Switch on the dash changes tanks.

The gauge of the fuel in the Aux Tank is a little off but can be adjusted. I decided not to make the adjustment. It tells me I am low on fuel when I actually have about 10-15 gallons remaining in the tank.

These are very good easy to work with people. If I trade vehicles they will help me remove it and install it in the new tank. I had them do the installation but if you have it shipped to you they give you very clear instructions and help by a phone call.

Hope this helps.
    BC
    Travel safe & may God bless
    Bob Curry & Trevor
    2016 F350 CC SRW LB 4WD
    Ruby Red 08 Bighorn 3400RE #9948
    Mor/Ryde 7k IS, 8k DB * 17.5 Rims w/G114 GY Tires
    Bigfoot Auto Leveling
    Escapee 96030 * Fulltime since 10-08-2007
    Club Member # 1081

9. Print this Post   #9

Quote Originally Posted by russell View Post
    I went with a transfer flow tank / toolbox combo. Installation took a few hours, and went very well. It adds 50 gallons capacity and has a computer controlled transfer pump that gradually adds fuel to your main tank as needed. There is a digital readout to mount on your dashboard to inform you of your fuel status. This setup gives me 88 gallon capacity.
    The system has performed flawlessly and I would definately recommend it to anyone.
    Russel,

What type/brand did you order? I found this and sounds like what you have.

http://www.fuelbox.net

Has anybody heard anything about them not being DOT approved or 50 state legal?
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually
    2008 Cyclone 3795

10. Print this Post   #10

Have a F250 short bed crew cab and got the 33 gal toolbox/tank combo from RDS out of Florida. It has 33 gal along with my trucks 29 gal that gets me plenty.
    Roger & Karen

2005 F250 Lariat, CC, SB, Power Stroke
    2006 BigHorn 3500RL Ser# 9353

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast