Satellite pros/cons

Buy a 2015 Big Horn and wanted to get a satellite dish. Is it best to have one installed or get a potable one?
I understand that a installed one has problems if trees and such is in the way.
Any info is greatly appreciated.

danemayer

Hi detroitnick,

There may not be a "best" answer for everyone because all the choices involve tradeoffs. You might want to take a look at our Getting Started with Satellite TV user guide. It discusses the various decision factors and tradeoffs so that you can walk through the choices and figure out what will best meet your needs.

gebills

Hi detroitnick; agreed that there may not be a "best" answer for a solution here. I feel you need to decide how your going to use it; i.e. once a year, 6 times a season, or, full time use...... For my wife and myself, after three years of throwing a fold-away portable dish in and out of the RV, we're giving up and buying a roof mounted winegard trav'ler dish. We have long considered a portable self-aligning dish like a tailgater; obviously much less in cost, but considering the simplicity, reliability and dish size of the trav'ler, we opted to blow a larger amount of money. For my wife and I, we really enjoy relaxing with TV and, as previously stated, tired of messing around setting out the fold-away portable dish. We're really looking forward to the simplicity of setup and the reception with the trav'ler dish; having it installed in about a week at camping world. Good luck with your decision.

GOTTOYS

The best would be to have both. The permanent one is the easiest to use but you won't always be in the right position to pickup signals. Don

hoefler

The best would be to have both. The permanent one is the easiest to use but you won't always be in the right position to pickup signals. Don

Agreed here. We have both and have used the Carry Out just as much as the roof mount, if not more.

MTPockets

We've been in many sites where it was difficult to find a hole for our Tailgater, but, with 100ft. Of cable - no problem. Tailgater is simple, automatic, and has been trouble free now full-timing three years.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Biggest "con" I have is the crappy programming that fills most of the options. And you can't get the major networks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

Biggest "con" I have is the crappy programming that fills most of the options. And you can't get the major networks.

??? Which networks? We always have FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC local channels wherever we travel; plus TNT, TBS, AMC, FX, Hallmark and hundreds more.

danemayer

you can't get the major networks.

The major networks come either by way of changing your service address to the local area, assuming the provider has local station coverage in your area, or by subscribing to Distant Network Stations (New York or Los Angeles) at additional cost.

pegmikef

We've been in many sites where it was difficult to find a hole for our Tailgater, but, with 100ft. Of cable - no problem. Tailgater is simple, automatic, and has been trouble free now full-timing three years.

ditto. Have only been in one COE Park (Brushy Creek) where the tree coverage of our site and area around it was just too dense for our Tailgater. I could have moved to any of several other sites, but we were only there for three or four nights so we just toughed it out.

SeattleLion

We have DirecTV and have the "distant networks" programming option. That gives us a NY and LA station for all 4 major networks. We had a tailgater, but ended up hating that we had to pay for a Dish subscription for the trailer and a DirecTV sub for the house. When we bought the Bighorn, we also got the Trav'ler DirecTV dish. It's expensive, but the saving on programming will pay for it in a few years. We have had problems in some state parks being able to see the satellites with the Trav'ler. When that happens, we watch DVD's.

JohnDar

The major networks come either by way of changing your service address to the local area, assuming the provider has local station coverage in your area, or by subscribing to Distant Network Stations (New York or Los Angeles) at additional cost.

DNS is not available from DISH. We had it when we first got the satellite gear, but it was dropped. It resurfaced again with a higher fee and a required 6 month contract. Then it disappeared all together. As far as what's included with the 120+ channel programming, it's mostly music channels, religious garbage, cartoons, reruns of old shows and shopping channels. If I want local channels (the few that exist), even the Jack doesn't bring them in clear, other than the PBS station. Network ABC, CBS, or NBC are not to be found.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
As full timers, we have the Winegard portable Carryout on a tripod that has been pretty much trouble free. There have been a few locations that are surrounded by trees that are dificult to lock in, and I love the ability to change my service address every time I move. Always good to get the local weather.

SeattleLion

DNS is not available from DISH. We had it when we first got the satellite gear, but it was dropped. It resurfaced again with a higher fee and a required 6 month contract. Then it disappeared all together. As far as what's included with the 120+ channel programming, it's mostly music channels, religious garbage, cartoons, reruns of old shows and shopping channels. If I want local channels (the few that exist), even the Jack doesn't bring them in clear, other than the PBS station. Network ABC, CBS, or NBC are not to be found.

We have DNS now. We have had it since DirecTV started in the 90's. It is invaluable when we travel.

MTPockets

. We have the Dish 200 channel. Local Chanel's, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX are always available by calling the number on the screen and give them your new physical address; be it a state park or wherever ; even in the boonies, just give them the closest street name and zip code....

upsmech

As full timers, we have the Winegard portable Carryout on a tripod that has been pretty much trouble free. There have been a few locations that are surrounded by trees that are dificult to lock in, and I love the ability to change my service address every time I move. Always good to get the local weather.

I agree that is what I have and never had an issue, love being able to get my locals!!

JohnDar

. We have the Dish 200 channel. Local Chanel's, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX are always available by calling the number on the screen and give them your new physical address; be it a state park or wherever ; even in the boonies, just give them the closest street name and zip code....

Maybe I'll give that a try next week before we pull the rig home for the winter.