Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Landing gear on blocks....?

1. Print this Post   #1

Landing gear on blocks....?

Howdy, a friend of mine, not a member here, has a Cyclone. He took his boys out to the desert and set up his landing gear on 6x12 blocks, two a side. He didn't want to wait for the gear to fully extend. When hooking up the inevitable happened, he was too low and tried to force it, the rig rolled off the blocks and "sway backed" his bed. We use 1-1/8 osb pads under the gear and leave the wheels chocked until we are locked in place. The insurance paid him $7K for the bed, he found a take-off, same color for $700, some people just don't lose!
    Suzin & Roger
    2006 BH 3600RL #2825 w/options
    2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax w/ Allison

2. Print this Post   #2

We have a friend that backed up to hook-up and the camper took off, however it was only sitting on 2x6's so no harm, just some tease moments as you see the camper rolling backwards down hill. It went about 10 feet seemed like a football field length though when your watching, he still had his chocks in the Bal ones that you rachet between the tires, only thing we could firgure is he just didn't have them tight enough. Moral to story "Don't try to force it"
    Niles, Deb and (Hudson)
    2008 3670RL Bighorn #9881
    1998 FL60 Freightliner with bike rack
    2005 Bushtec Trailer
    2004 Corvette Red 1800 Goldwing
    Gone but not forgotton Tucker(RIP)

3. Print this Post   #3
    Senior Member Delaine and Lindy's Avatar

I use the fiber glass squares from CW on the, and have 2x8's 12" in length four bolted together with handles for the rear gear. I use Roto Chocks and my 5er is very secure. Roto Chocks are first on and last thing to remove. Never force a 5th wheel hitch into the king pin, bad things happen. Only takes a second to raise the front.

4. Print this Post   #4

Am I the only one who keeps the umbilical cord connected while hooking up and unhooking. This way you can put your trailer brake controller on max and push the little lever and the 5iver isn't going anywhere. And I don't use the big blocks under my front jacks either. I use a piece of 1/4" x 8" x 8" pergo flooring, works fantastic. I'm also a firm believer in wheel chocks and also use the between the wheel chock.
    Curtis & Sherry
    Duramax & 3055RL
    Retired USA
    Go Razorbacks

5. Print this Post   #5
    Past Michigan Chapter Leader

Quote Originally Posted by cmart View Post
    Am I the only one who keeps the umbilical cord connected while hooking up and unhooking. This way you can put your trailer brake controller on max and push the little lever and the 5iver isn't going anywhere.
    The cord goes in as soon as mytruck is close enough to the pin. I also have wheel chocks in place before I back into the hitch.
    Chuck (& Saundra) Batcke
    Heartland Owners Club #1046
    Midland MI
    2014 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 CTD
    2006 Big Horn 3655 RD serial #6E459794

6. Print this Post   #6

Me Too

Quote Originally Posted by cmart View Post
    Am I the only one who keeps the umbilical cord connected while hooking up and unhooking. This way you can put your trailer brake controller on max and push the little lever and the 5iver isn't going anywhere. And I don't use the big blocks under my front jacks either. I use a piece of 1/4" x 8" x 8" pergo flooring, works fantastic. I'm also a firm believer in wheel chocks and also use the between the wheel chock.
    I NEVER hook or unhook without the umbilical hooked up and controler set to max and brakes on trailer applied manually. Still have the rotochocks set and all both ways hook and unhook. Can't be too carefull. Costs too much!!
    Tom and Bobbi
    2011 GMC Sierra 3500HD CC LB 4x4 Z71 Offroad
    B&W turnover hitch with Companion
    2006 Bighorn 3055RL Mor/Ryde hitch box,Mor/Ryde IS suspension, Never Lube Bearings,Hydraulic disk brakes w/Michelin XPS Ribs

7. Print this Post   #7

Quote Originally Posted by nscaler2 View Post
    I NEVER hook or unhook without the umbilical hooked up and controler set to max and brakes on trailer applied manually. Still have the rotochocks set and all both ways hook and unhook. Can't be too carefull. Costs too much!!
    this is our procedure too!
    2007 F550 Utility Bodywerks Elite
    2008 Teton Homes Aspen Experince
    2005 Volvo 780

8. Print this Post   #8

I have 6 x 6 x 16 blocks that I put under the landing legs. The VERY first time we took it out I laid the blocks length ways to the width of the trailer and forgot the Bal-choks. The trailer rolled the blocks over about a foot when I unhooked. Put a little whoopie in the tail gate. Always use the length of the blocks going the length of the trailer now. They ain't going to do any rolling that way. Still I remember to do all the other stuff now.

9. Print this Post   #9

Guys:
    I took my GC to a RV dealer for a repair to my pump system. When I dropped it off I had the legs adjusted for MY truck, everything was fine. When I picked it up, "they" didn't extend the legs enough and just ran the legs down enough to get THEIR truck out from under it. When I tried to hook up my F450 up I couldn't get the trailer up high enough. So I tilted my hitch and gave it a quick back up, it worked! But the king pin was in a little bind to the side.and wouldn't lock, Not wanting to pull out and do all this over. I came up with a great idea.

Why not hold my foot on the brake, turn the wheels in a lock and "inch" out then turn the wheels the opposite way and "inch" back. I no sooner did that then BLAM!!! I looked in the mirror and saw what happened. That was definitely a OH S**T moment. The total damage is $3109...Fix the bed rails, new tailgate and hardware, re-linex tailgate etc. The body shop I go to does 100 point Concours Antique cars, so I think my 450 will come out as good as new. I still only have 3K+ miles on it.
    Denny, Rosa, & Tara(spoiled Pug) -08' F-450 King Ranch, Grand Canyon #286 (W/Granite)
    "other Toys" 05' Harley Fatboy,47 Ford Streetrod (under construction)

10. Print this Post   #10

I have not dropped my trailer onto my truck...yet. However, I did try to tow it away (my previous SOB trailer) from the dealers back lot (it had been in for repairs) without raising the front legs. I only pulled the trailer about 10 feet before I realized what I had done. But...too late. The trailer was in their gravel back lot and when I towed it away the legs caught on the edge of the concrete. I bent both front legs back and it cost me $700.00 for repairs. Nothing like having to go back into the dealer and confess when you've done something like that.

Jeff and Cindy Harvey
    2000 Ford F550 CrewCab (Mr Big)
    Eclipse Thoroughbred Sport Truck Package
    "Dr Performance" Performance module
    Double-pivot 25000 PullRite Low Profile Hitch
    2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1 (On Order)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast