Water pressure . . . water filter . . . and water regulator question?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I just started using a water filter this summer (one of those blue Camco ones from Camping World), and every time I've used it the water pressure was low.

Really noticable when taking a shower . . .

One time I traced it down to a kink in the hose, but even after unkinking . . . the water pressure was still low.

Each time, I removed the water regulator and all was good.

What I'm wondering is this . . .

Should the water filter reduce the water flow enough to not have to use the regulator?

Or could this filter be defective in some way?

danemayer

John,

Water filters have quite a range of flow depending on surface area and size of the internal openings. A 10 micron filter passes a lot more water than a 5 micron filter. Of course it also catches less. You can get a lot of info on filters at the RVWaterFilterStore. After doing so, you might find a quick trip to Lowes or Home Depot will take care of getting a single cannister and a 10 micron sediment filter.

I got the dual cannister system from the RV Water Filter Store 4 years ago and used both a 10 micron sediment filter and a 1 micron carbon KDF filter. However, I had problems after a few trips with the 1 micron filter clogging. After 2 episodes I decided to just use the 10 micron sediment filter.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also run a dual filter system, with 1 micron filters. The pressure drop across the set is less than 3 psi. It may depend on the quality of the water source as to how much resistance/clogging you experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etcmss

I had this low pressure problem and initially thought it was the campground. even changed the shower head thinking the low flow was the current shower head, it was not. experimented and removed the pressure regulator and got good flow and pressure. the blue water filter does not seem to reduce flow or pressure unless clogged.

Bobby A

I use the blue filters also, and I can always tell when its time to change it cause the pressure becomes bad. You may have a defective filter. When I install a new one I always let the water flow through it for a couple minutes before hooking it up to the coach because of the black charcoal stuf that comes out of the filter when you first turn on the water.

ramdually4100king

Is your regulator before or after the filter. We had the same problem when we had our regulator before the filter. The regulator was dropping the pressure to 55psi and the filter was dropping it another 5psi. When we placed the regulator after the filter we get 55psi to the trailer.

Good luck

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
All very good advice. I personally have a dual filter system one with a paper filter 10mic and the second is a charcoal filter ( I think 2mic ) both filters can be independently bypassed depending on the quality of the water in. I also have a pressure gauge before and after the filters ( this was done to watch the pressure to the internal plumbing in the Rig and to allow me to see the pressure drop across the filters when running the water ( indicating when to change the filters. ) I also have a high flow pressure regulator that I put on to insure I do not blow a gasket on my filters or anything else... This gets used always to insure I do not have an issue.

SeattleLion

I use the RVWaterfilters 2-house-sized filters (1 micron sediment and 1/2 micron carbon) with no real problems. Our pressure regulator is the 5gpm house type, not the low-flow RV type. I think, in general, the water out here in the West is cleaner since the parks we visit are newer and are well maintained. I love the filters we have. We used to need bottled water for drinking. Now there is no chlorine taste and the water is wonderful no matter where we camp.

danemayer

Where can one install filter and regulator on a Big Country for winter use?

I have a regulator permanently set up in the UDC for winter camping and skip the filter. During the summer I use a tub with filter(s) and 2nd regulator.

If you're comfortable routing hoses and filter into the basement storage area, you can use a hole saw to make openings to run the hoses from the UDC to storage and back. Home Depot also sells desk accessories for routing cables that will fit nicely into those holes.

If it's really cold, hang a 60 watt drop light in the UDC to keep the regulator and water inlet/water valves from freezing.

Bohemian

I have a regulator permanently set up in the UDC for winter camping and skip the filter. During the summer I use a tub with filter(s) and 2nd regulator.

If you're comfortable routing hoses and filter into the basement storage area, you can use a hole saw to make openings to run the hoses from the UDC to storage and back. Home Depot also sells desk accessories for routing cables that will fit nicely into those holes.

If it's really cold, hang a 60 watt drop light in the UDC to keep the regulator and water inlet/water valves from freezing.

Thanks, very useful

SeattleLion

How does the park prevent the hose bibs from freezing?

Thanks,
Bob

Bohemian

How does the park prevent the hose bibs from freezing?

Thanks,
Bob

Water hoses need to be wrapped in electrical heater tape with a freeze thermostat, then aluminum and then pipe insulation. The water pedestal needs to be treated similarly and and preferably boxed.

Crumgater

I think, in general, the water out here in the West is cleaner since the parks we visit are newer and are well maintained. I love the filters we have. We used to need bottled water for drinking. Now there is no chlorine taste and the water is wonderful no matter where we camp.

After 4 days at Maryhill State Campground - a beautiful, well maintained location - in Eastern WA, our filter was a solid dust brown color, and done. I think they run off wells there, and not treated river water. The campground is right on the Columbia river, but not near any major population centers.

We use a filter even when filling the tanks here at the house, and I love our Kirkland city water... but, figure better safe than sorry.

As for the OP's question - you could try a different pressure regulator. Could be yours has an obstruction? Or, as others mentioned, put it after the filter.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
After 4 days at Maryhill State Campground - a beautiful, well maintained location - in Eastern WA, our filter was a solid dust brown color, and done. I think they run off wells there, and not treated river water. The campground is right on the Columbia river, but not near any major population centers.

We use a filter even when filling the tanks here at the house, and I love our Kirkland city water... but, figure better safe than sorry.

As for the OP's question - you could try a different pressure regulator. Could be yours has an obstruction? Or, as others mentioned, put it after the filter.

The regulator seems fine on it's own . . . as does the filter.

But when both are together, it seems that we get low water pressure.

A few posts back it was mentioned maybe I should try the regulator after the filter.

I generally put the regulator first, then the filter second, although on our last campout up in Estes Park, Colorado, I had the filter first as the spicket was only about four inches above ground, and as I recall, the pressure was only slightly better.

We are leaving for the Colorado HOC Fall Rally Thursday morning, so I'll experiment up there and see what the outcome is and report here!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Water in the southwest may be "clean", but it is also very hard in many locales. Here in Utah, it is not too bad, but in other parts of the desert west it is brutal.

The same mineral deposits that muck up my faucets also plugged my filter, water heater, regulator, eat my anode rod and everything else very quickly. Water filters were clogging and restricting flow in less than a months use. I no longer use a water filter for my rig.

I am considering a table salt charged water softener, to curb the hard water deposit problem.

I refill large water bottles with RO water from the local markets for our drinking water. Trace

Last edited:

SeattleLion

We have the pressure regulator after the filters. That way it won't get clogged and dirty. I am surprised at the muddy water at Maryhill. RVwaterfilterstore.com sells the sediment filters in sets of two, so I always have a spare in case we hit some water loaded with sediment. When we bought the filters and I ordered the 1micron sed, 1/2 micron carbon, I wondered if I was going to be unhappy with clogged filters. We managed to get through 8 trips this summer with no issues.

The reason for the 1/2 micron carbon is that things like our coffee maker (Keurig Vue) will easily gunk up with less pure water. I also wanted to be sure to filter out harmful stuff. At home we have a 10 micron filter (tons of yellow mineral sediment) and use that water for everything but drinking. We have a Pur faucet mounted filter in the kitchen for drinking water. Since our BH has a fancy faucet that doesn't lend itself to mounting a filter, I figured we would try doing the entire system with sub-micron clean water. I suspect that the filters did cut down on the total flow. If we run one faucet, others slow down. Given the quality of our pressure reducer, I think it is the filters that limit us. But it is a small price to pay for truly clean water.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In our rig, the pressure in the lavatory and shower is fine, but we lose it at the kitchen sink. I don't think it's the fault of the filters, but rather the way the rig is plumbed. If you've ever compared the plastic PEX fittings with the brass, you'll see they have smaller opening, thus adding restriction to the flow. That and 90-deg. elbows don't help. The other factor, if on city water, is how many other campers are using water on the same grid when you are.

And yes, I've removed the restrictor from the kitchen faucet.