ATF: Prowler - Wet insulation in sealed underbelly

Ruble

I have a 2014 Prowler model #18PRL. Discovered during our last trip that the tail section from the tub drain was not attached to the pee trap of the drain pipe.Most of the grey water was going into the drain pipe but some was not.Bought the trailer new this spring and have been out 8 times this season.I believe the drain was like this from the time we bought it.Grey water has finally saturated the fiberglass insulation in the sealed underbelly to the point that it has seeped through the protective plastic that seals the underbelly.That is how I discovered the problem.My local dealer has the trailer and will repair the drain but tell me not to worry about the insulation it will dry.The also tell me that this is Heartlands recommendation. I find it hard to believe that the insulation will dry,it is completely saturated.I also have a concern about mold forming or any other problems that might occur because of grey water draining into the sealed underbelly.My question is.Is this standard operating procedure and if so why?If not how do I go about getting the insulation replaced.My dealer tells me to make it known to Heartland so that if something happens down the road it will be documented.This seems completely insane to me.The trailer is under warranty and has water damage.The insulation needs replaced in my opinion.Advice and recommendations needed.

danemayer

Hi Ruble,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Sorry to hear about your drain problem.

There is one school of thought that argues wet insulation should be replaced. It's not really that difficult - requires taking down the coroplast. The one downside of doing so is that you'll likely end up with a seam in the underbelly. You might want to have the dealer add a 1x6 board between the frame members at that seam and screw the coroplast to the board. Then tape.

The other school of thought argues that insulation routinely gets wet when driving in moderate to heavy rain. So even if you replace it, it's very likely it'll just end up wet again at some future date.

If it was me, I'd call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask them to authorize replacement of the insulation because it's soaked with gray water from the shower and smells bad. Let them know that you don't want to have that smell re-occur every time a little water gets kicked up from the road.

Ruble

Thanks Dan: I will be calling Heartland and telling them just that.So the insulation can get wet while driving in the rain?I guess I do not understand.Is that not the Idea of the underbelly being sealed?One other question how prompt is the factory in responding to this forum?
Hi Ruble,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Sorry to hear about your drain problem.

There is one school of thought that argues wet insulation should be replaced. It's not really that difficult - requires taking down the coroplast. The one downside of doing so is that you'll likely end up with a seam in the underbelly. You might want to have the dealer add a 1x6 board between the frame members at that seam and screw the coroplast to the board. Then tape.

The other school of thought argues that insulation routinely gets wet when driving in moderate to heavy rain. So even if you replace it, it's very likely it'll just end up wet again at some future date.

If it was me, I'd call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask them to authorize replacement of the insulation because it's soaked with gray water from the shower and smells bad. Let them know that you don't want to have that smell re-occur every time a little water gets kicked up from the road.

Ruble

Thanks Dan. Replied with quote instead of just replying. Wanted to correct my error.Hope you can answer my other questions.

Ruble

Thanks for the reply Bob.It has a combo of fiberglass and Foam.The wet fiberglass insulation is my concern.

danemayer

Thanks Dan: I will be calling Heartland and telling them just that.So the insulation can get wet while driving in the rain?I guess I do not understand.Is that not the Idea of the underbelly being sealed?One other question how prompt is the factory in responding to this forum?
"Sealed" is used loosely. There are typically several entry points near the wheels, and in front, where water can splash up and in.

I doubt you'll get an answer from the factory on the forum to this type of question. Sometimes they may call, but I've never seen them debate/discuss service alternatives on the forum. Phone calls work better.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for the reply Bob.It has a combo of fiberglass and Foam.The wet fiberglass insulation is my concern.

Are you sure this is true? Have you seen it?

I ask because on our 5ver we have the silver "bubble wrap" looking insulation when we took down the underbelly-- and there was evidence of it being wet in the past (probably from driving in rain/wintery mix) but it was completely dry, and no signs of mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruble

I removed the access panel to view under the tub and saw wet fiberglass insulation.I have not removed the underbelly so no, I do not know for sure it is all fiberglass.I can tell you this, the insulation is so saturated that it sags the coroplast.I assume Heartland can tell me the kind of insulation.