38 rsrt questions

MagnoliaTom

Hello. I'm considering getting this 5er. Anyone else with this unit have experience good or bad with it? I've had other travel trailers (not Heartland) but never a fifth wheel. I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback. Thanks!

danemayer

Hi MagnoliaTom,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There are a lot of people out here who love their Elkridge 5ers. I'm sure you'll hear details from some of them shortly.

MagnoliaTom

Thanks Dan. Looking forward to hearing other peoples experiences with this unit as well as Elkridge in general

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
So far, we love ours. We have the 37 Ultimate. Depending on the options, you need to add 500-800lbs to the published dry weight. Ours was published at 12300 but came in at just shy of 13000lbs. I think I read somewhere where someone had issues because of the low hanging step brackets in the back. They where dragging when the trailer would hit a change in incline. 5 slides and 42' long, that's a lot of trailer.

Good luck
Jamie

Crumgater

We bought our Elkridge back in 2010 and it's been GREAT!

We upgraded from a truck slide-in camper, and learning to pull a 5er has been an experience... but not bad at all. Other than the backing up thing. We're still working on that. :)
I would say, we've driven places with stiff and gusty winds (i.e. The Columbia Gorge, famous for wind-surfing), and the 5er is solid. Tows really easy. It's also very easy to hook up and un-hook.

Our 5er is "only" 34' long... which does limit where we can park it. It takes some planning on when & where to go (especially relative to the truck & camper... which was my main commuter vehicle for a few years).

-Tina

MagnoliaTom

Thats some change going from a slide in to a 5er! We currently have a 36 foot TT so it would be a lot less dramatic for me but that thing is HUGE!

Can't wait to get one.

We bought our Elkridge back in 2010 and it's been GREAT!

We upgraded from a truck slide-in camper, and learning to pull a 5er has been an experience... but not bad at all. Other than the backing up thing. We're still working on that. :)
I would say, we've driven places with stiff and gusty winds (i.e. The Columbia Gorge, famous for wind-surfing), and the 5er is solid. Tows really easy. It's also very easy to hook up and un-hook.

Our 5er is "only" 34' long... which does limit where we can park it. It takes some planning on when & where to go (especially relative to the truck & camper... which was my main commuter vehicle for a few years).

-Tina

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There may be others, I seem to recall seeing some posts about it. I believe this floorplan just came out earlier this year. Congrats! Be sure to check out some Heartland Chapter Rallies happening soon in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana! click here and check out the list on the far right column. Click on any rally for details.

MagnoliaTom

We are so excited. Picking up our new 38 rsrt tomorrow. Can't wait. I'll post some pictures once we bring her home.

MagnoliaTom

Just took delivery of our new 38rsrt on Tuesday 10/14/14.What are you initial thoughts on quality of finish?

Not too bad. A little better than our previous TT but some of the same annoying things...like sawdust everywhere, misalign drawers, etc. Nothing I can't handle. Our maiden trip is this weekend. I'll know more afterwards

MagnoliaTom

Just took delivery of our new 38rsrt on Tuesday 10/14/14.What are you initial thoughts on quality of finish?

Here are some of our discoveries....

The pantry holds next to nothing. We knew it was small but it really doesn't hold much. Groceries to feed a family of 5 for the weekend are hard to store easily

The top bunks are too high. Our kids can't sit up while in bed. Makes for difficult entry/exit from the top bunks. My boys are 8 and 9 ...imagine if they were 14 and 15...it would be even more difficult.

There's a lack of 110v plugs in the bunk house. Only 1 plug in the tv area. That's it.

The island needs to have a light above the sink. There is definitely a dark spot at the sink.

Those were the main things. There are other little annoyances but do far, we love it.

Good luck with yours and happy camping!

Many more positives than negatives with the 38rsrt. In fact it offers a lot of 5th wheel for the price point.The quality of workmanship was not disappointing but with just a couple of weekend trips under our belts , it's way to early to tell how the 38rsrt will hold up.I would think a 4th step on the entry ways is a must have.The changes such as chestnut cabinetry, bedroom closet redesign etc. are real plus