What did you do to your camper today?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Replaced the control board on the furnace today.

Aren't you in Breckinridge right now? Did your furnace c*** out on you? How long were you without the furnace? How did you keep things from freezing up until you had it back on line?

danemayer

Aren't you in Breckinridge right now? Did your furnace c*** out on you? How long were you without the furnace? How did you keep things from freezing up until you had it back on line?
Yep, we're in Breckenridge and the furnace quit early Sunday morning. Today's Friday.

We have 3 Pelonis Classic Ceramic Disc Heaters and a fireplace. One heater is inside a mini-skirt foam-board enclosure under the rig, protecting a large portion of the underbelly, and in particular the gate valves. The other two heaters and fireplace have been keeping the interior warm. The underbelly has been running between 70 and 75 (F). The interior is generally between 60 and 72 depending on placement of the heaters and how cold it is outside. One night it went below zero and I had left the fireplace off. One heater in the hallway to the bedroom and the other in the kitchen. In the morning, it was 42 at the back of the rig. Underbelly was 65.

We have tank heaters protecting the tanks, and heat tape on all water lines except for the washing machine. There's a 100W heat lamp in a reflector hanging over the water pump and line in back of the UDC, and a 60 W drop light in the UDC.

We managed so well on electric that I've set the thermostat to 60 and will see if we can minimize propane usage without having any problems.

travelin2

Awesome! Knew you had the tank heaters and heat on the UDC but was wondering how you kept the underbelly warm enough while in the CO mountains. We used one ceramic heater and the fireplace as a supplement to the furnace last March during several days of sub freezing temps. Kept the coach warm enough.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Awesome! Knew you had the tank heaters and heat on the UDC but was wondering how you kept the underbelly warm enough while in the CO mountains. We used one ceramic heater and the fireplace as a supplement to the furnace last March during several days of sub freezing temps. Kept the coach warm enough.

I don't know that you could keep the underbelly warm without that skirting?

DH and I have been staying in the 5ver for primary housing since July. We came back to our sticks and bricks for the Holidays. We disconnected the water hose and left furnace on low. Temps were going to be above freezing the entire time we were gone... But as with most weather forecasts, things change.... projected temps for next week are now in the 20s and highs in low 30s -- so we are not sure we'll have enough propane. No other heaters are on, no tank/pipe heaters on.... GUESS WE SHOULD HAVE WINTERIZED!

danemayer

I don't know that you could keep the underbelly warm without that skirting?

DH and I have been staying in the 5ver for primary housing since July. We came back to our sticks and bricks for the Holidays. We disconnected the water hose and left furnace on low. Temps were going to be above freezing the entire time we were gone... But as with most weather forecasts, things change.... projected temps for next week are now in the 20s and highs in low 30s -- so we are not sure we'll have enough propane. No other heaters are on, no tank/pipe heaters on.... GUESS WE SHOULD HAVE WINTERIZED!
It would be a pain to drive 3 hours each way to winterize, but it would probably be worthwhile. I'm sure Tony won't mind going. :rolleyes:

TravelTiger

It would be a pain to drive 3 hours each way to winterize, but it would probably be worthwhile. I'm sure Tony won't mind going. :rolleyes:

We both agreed it's smarter to make the drive and make sure we're protected rather than discover problems later because we didn't. They are also hinting at "wintery mischief" -- precipitation in some frozen form.

TravelTiger

Well, we drove the three hours back to Lake Leon to winterize our coach and drive 3 hours back. It took about 20 minutes and 3 jugs of RV antifreeze (I tend to run it a bit to make absolutely sure.) Feel confident we are protected from any freezing and/or power outages or propane issues.

We also stopped by Camping World. While in the practically empty store, we heard an employee take a phone call on speakerphone. It was someone with a new 2015 Thor Challenger MH, asking for winterizing services. The employee was able to fit them in at 8:30 am tomorrow. They confirmed they did not have a clothes washer or dish washer. She said it would take a few hours, and cost $115!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well, we drove the three hours back to Lake Leon to winterize our coach and drive 3 hours back. It took about 20 minutes and 3 jugs of RV antifreeze (I tend to run it a bit to make absolutely sure.) Feel confident we are protected from any freezing and/or power outages or propane issues.

We also stopped by Camping World. While in the practically empty store, we heard an employee take a phone call on speakerphone. It was someone with a new 2015 Thor Challenger MH, asking for winterizing services. The employee was able to fit them in at 8:30 am tomorrow. They confirmed they did not have a clothes washer or dish washer. She said it would take a few hours, and cost $115!

Don't understand why anyone would pay for winterizing. It's so simple to do (and undo). I do mine at the storage yard after we bring it home from Indian River at the end of our season. I do have to bring my Honda 2000 genny along so I can use my small compressor to blow out the lines and run the W/D for winterizing, but it's not a big deal.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Drove to the Adams County (CO) DMV at 7 a.m this morning to get the license plate tags for the trailer . . . $269.00!

Less than a one minute wait in line!

Too cold (-17 this morning) to put the sticker on, though . . .

Only two weeks until we leave on our next camp out to the Arizona HOC Rally near Quartzsite and a couple of nights on the south rim of the Grand Canyon! :cool:

travelin2

Wow! I'm sure there is a trade off somewhere of other instate costs (CO vs PA) but tags for the BH are $35/yr plus an annual inspection that costs $45.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnD

Don't understand why anyone would pay for winterizing. It's so simple to do (and undo).

Not all of us are as handy as others . . .

Put a caulking gun in my hands . . . and I'll get more caulk on me than I will on the job at hand (you should see our upstairs shower DOH!)!

Put a camera in my hands . . . and I'll amaze you with the images I can produce (was a photojournalist and studio photographer from the late '70's to the mid-90's)!

Here are some images . . .

EstesParkElk2014-IMGP0732.jpg FloridaBridgeToCape2012-IMGP0389.jpg BigMac-1.jpg SDMtRushmore-IMG_0760.jpg HangingLake-P1050488.jpg BlackCanyon-IMGP1754.jpg TaosSunset-5-26-07-P1020633.jpg SandDunes-IMGP1114.jpg

I did winterize mine for the first time this year . . . guess I'll find out how good I did at the 2015 Arizona HOC rally in two weeks!

JohnD

Wow! I'm sure there is a trade off somewhere of other instate costs (CO vs PA) but tags for the BH are $35/yr plus an annual inspection that costs $45.

I know . . .

Last month I had to pay for the tags on my new 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 . . . $950.00! :mad:

However, I'm sure that no matter how high or low a tax or fee might be from one state to another . . . they'll get the $$$ from us one way or another! :(

travelin2

I know . . .

Last month I had to pay for the tags on my new 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 . . . $950.00! :mad:

However, I'm sure that no matter how high or low a tax or fee might be from one state to another . . . they'll get the $$$ from us one way or another! :(

Ah, the American way....

whp4262

I know . . .

John was the $950.00 a one time expense including sales tax on your truck or your yearly license fee?

MagnoliaTom

Opened it up to load supplies back into it. Upon the main living slide opening, a mouse runs past my foot and up the stairs into the bedroom! :mad:
Went to store to load up on every type of mouse trap they had. This is WAR!! :)

BTW, what have those of you that have had mice do to eradicate them?

jnbhobe

I put permament plates on mine it was $125 as long as the GVW is over 10K.

Birchwood

Well...in the last couple weeks I installed an inline water filter on the fridge,waxed the Landmark
and installed a new burner on our stovetop