What did you do to your camper today?

Tsys100718

Well, let's see. My sister's Forest River TT has full length drawers under the side benches of her U-shaped dinette. I thought this was a pretty good use of space since it does not require displacing any cushions to access the storage. So to that end, I removed the two plywood panel inserts in the sides of my U-shaped dinette and made drawers to slide in and out. The hardest part was actually finding the correct length screws to fasten everything to the floor, without causing an issue with my slide operation. I found that 3 inch coated deck screws worked best if not over tightened. Now I find myself thinking about exterior access to the cross bench storage at the back of the dinette. The best part of these drawers is that every piece of the wood was repurposed from underbed storage boxes my dad asked me to make for him. Having lost him in November, it's like a piece of him will be in this camper for a LONG time.

Resized_20180716_183247_6788.jpeg20180716_183341.jpgResized_20180716_183313_5881.jpgResized_20180716_183320_4939.jpg

I have contacted Heartland to obtain the name and style number of the brown vinyl upholstery to upholster the drawer fronts. If I get no response then it will be days of stain testing to get the correct shade.

Secondly, I put gas struts on the lower bunk in my bunkhouse to make that storage more accessible. I am considering adding an exterior access door in addition to the gas struts, to make the storage even MORE usable.
20180716_183403.jpg20180716_183412.jpg

Thirdly, I installed Everbilt lid support hinges on my overhead cabinets. These allow for full extension and access to the entire opening. These are also available at Home Depot and in my case I needed two Left side hinges, since the catches on my cabinets are located on the left side of the cabinet. I know it may sound confusing, but the left hinges mounted perfectly on the right side of my doors.

20180716_183449.jpg

Attachments

• 20180716_183341.jpg
    20180716_183341.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

jbeletti

Well, let's see. My sister's Forest River TT has full length drawers under the side benches of her U-shaped dinette. I thought this was a pretty good use of space since it does not require displacing any cushions to access the storage. So to that end, I removed the two plywood panel inserts in the sides of my U-shaped dinette and made drawers to slide in and out. The hardest part was actually finding th correct length screws to fasten everything to the floor, without causing an issue with my slide operation. I found that 3 inch coated deck screws worked best if not over tightened. Now I find myself thinking about exterior access to the cross bench storage at the back of the dinette.

Secondly, I put gas struts on the lower bunk in my bunkhouse to make that storage more accessible. I am considering adding an exterior access door in addition to the gas struts, to make the storage even MORE usable.

Thirdly, I installed Everbilt lis support hinges on my overhead cabinets. These allow for full extension and access to the entire opening. These are also available at Home Depot and in my case I needed two Left side hinges, since the catches on my cabinets are located on the left side of the cabinet. I know it may sound confusing, but the left hinges mounted perfectly on the right side of my doors.

Your mods sound great. How about adding some pictures to your post? Many would love to see them. Thanks for sharing.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Well, yesterday I put my Prowler in storage for the first time ever...

So used to having it parked right next to the house, but can't do that here in Yuma, where yesterday while I was taking stuff out of it the inside temp was 126 degrees.

Pretty sure I lost about 5 pounds yesterday.

Luckily, the storage yard is about 300 yards from my place, and if I walk to the corner with my binoculars I can see some of it.

I took anything food stuffs out of it and removed both flat screen TV's (was reading that temps over 114 degrees for long periods can damage the pixels)...

I did leave all three roof vents open as I have vent covers on them, but may close them so they are only open just a crack as this is the desert and the storage lot is fine sand.

I also found a spot between a large motorhome and a large 5th-wheel toy hauler, so it will be mostly in the shade and maybe protected from the wind from those monsters.

:cool:

See...always thinking!

We had the tail end of a haboob blow through here last week (that's what they said on the local news, anywayz) and sand was everywhere inside after that...and I had just finished vacuuming and wiping down everything the day before!

I also gave the black and gray tanks a good cleaning but left a little water in the fresh tank, but will probably drain that in a couple of days .

Not sure when the next outing will be...maybe in a month or so!

I have photos, but have never figured out how to post them from my phone (or iPad, for that matter - I know...Tapatalk!)

Power247

Done Sir. The drawer fronts are yet to be added, but the gyst is there.
Nice! I made similar mods to the lower bunk and overhead cabinets in our Pioneer. You really got me thinking about doing those sliding drawers now :)

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Power247

Well, yesterday I put my Prowler in storage for the first time ever...

So used to having it parked right next to the house, but can't do that here in Yuma, where yesterday while I was taking stuff out of it the inside temp was 126 degrees.

Pretty sure I lost about 5 pounds yesterday.

Luckily, the storage yard is about 300 yards from my place, and if I walk to the corner with my binoculars I can see some of it.

I took anything food stuffs out of it and removed both flat screen TV's (was reading that temps over 114 degrees for long periods can damage the pixels)...

I did leave all three roof vents open as I have vent covers on them, but may close them so they are only open just a crack as this is the desert and the storage lot is fine sand.

I also found a spot between a large motorhome and a large 5th-wheel toy hauler, so it will be mostly in the shade and maybe protected from the wind from those monsters.

:cool:

See...always thinking!

We had the tail end of a haboob blow through here last week (that's what they said on the local news, anywayz) and sand was everywhere inside after that...and I had just finished vacuuming and wiping down everything the day before!

I also gave the black and gray tanks a good cleaning but left a little water in the fresh tank, but will probably drain that in a couple of days .

Not sure when the next outing will be...maybe in a month or so!

I have photos, but have never figured out how to post them from my phone (or iPad, for that matter - I know...Tapatalk!)
I know how you feel... We have to keep our camper in storage when we relocated 3 years ago. Everything about our new house/neighborhood is perfect except no place to keep the camper :(

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

kbausano

Installed new exterior speakers on my BH3760EL. Had to enlarge the openings a bit, using a rotary rasp bit, in order to fit new Fusion MS-EL602 6” marine speakers. The OEM versions had foam surrounds which degraded quickly, as well as tweeter cones that fell off after one season

27b749f9b233e6c80a7751a179a7f308.jpg
fbb081a4647ec1888d6103e67632b45e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Replaced the washing machine. The control board went nuts. Cost to replace the washer was a couple hundred more than cost to repair. As it was 8 years old and has probably done over 1,000 loads of laundry, I opted to replace the machine. Who knows what would fail in it next month?

The local tech and I wrestled the dryer out and sat it outside. Cleaned it up inside and out. Then we sat it on top of the new washer while outside and drilled holes where the brackets on the bottom of the dryer attach to the washer to keep things in place while towing. Three of the four screws would be impossible to drill holes for with the machines in the trailer.

Moving the dryer was easy compared to the washer. The dryer is light weight enough that I might have been able to move it myself, although it was much easier for two of us. The washer weighs way, way, way more and was quite a struggle horsing the old one out and the new one in.

Put in stainless steel braided hoses rather than the rubber hoses that come with the new washer.

About 2 years ago I installed cutoff valves on the water lines to the washer and used them to shut off the water today. Good thing because the valves behind the washer probably would have broken if forced. The cutoffs are in the chase where the level-up control is located.

Also, to keep water from spilling, I disconnected both hoses from the old washer, holding the ends up and at the same height. Walked them outside and emptied the water. The drain hose I stuffed with a rag to keep any water in.

Tsys100718

Well, the invertor generator hanging on the rear of my TT has gotten a real workout the last few days. I used it to keep the coach cool while I added the drawers and other refinements.

Today, I replaced the analog thermostat with a Coleman Digital Thermostat. It will be nice to know exactly what temp everything is set to.

I also had to replace one of the scissor jacks that apparently got caught on something during the last trip out. What snagged it, I have no idea. But I keep a couple spares on hand just in case, so it was a fairly quick fix. Once a Boy Scout, always a Boy Scout I guess.

I'm waiting on the heavy duty gas struts and the LevelMasterPro to get here. Those are the next two improvements.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Replaced the washing machine. The control board went nuts. Cost to replace the washer was a couple hundred more than cost to repair. As it was 8 years old and has probably done over 1,000 loads of laundry, I opted to replace the machine. Who knows what would fail in it next month?

The local tech and I wrestled the dryer out and sat it outside. Cleaned it up inside and out. Then we sat it on top of the new washer while outside and drilled holes where the brackets on the bottom of the dryer attach to the washer to keep things in place while towing. Three of the four screws would be impossible to drill holes for with the machines in the trailer.

Moving the dryer was easy compared to the washer. The dryer is light weight enough that I might have been able to move it myself, although it was much easier for two of us. The washer weighs way, way, way more and was quite a struggle horsing the old one out and the new one in.

Put in stainless steel braided hoses rather than the rubber hoses that come with the new washer.

About 2 years ago I installed cutoff valves on the water lines to the washer and used them to shut off the water today. Good thing because the valves behind the washer probably would have broken if forced. The cutoffs are in the chase where the level-up control is located.

Also, to keep water from spilling, I disconnected both hoses from the old washer, holding the ends up and at the same height. Walked them outside and emptied the water. The drain hose I stuffed with a rag to keep any water in.

Dan, have you tested it with the braided hoses? We tried to do that when we installed our combo, but found the braided hoses leaked at the fittings on the combo upon test run. Switched to ones that came with washer and no leaks at all.

danemayer

Dan, have you tested it with the braided hoses? We tried to do that when we installed our combo, but found the braided hoses leaked at the fittings on the combo upon test run. Switched to ones that came with washer and no leaks at all.

Checked for leaks before putting the dryer on top. No problem.

LBR

Finally got around to putting some backsplash in the bathroom..."broke up the all tan wallpaper just right" said the DW.

Also pushed the delete button on the infamous bathroom faucet that one can't even wash their hands under. This one has about 2" more reach and height....just what the factory should be giving us all.
bccd38156dc0dd154f464ffc1876e6f1.jpg
1938f0bc5b2b5d7f9d5bcbeb166b22ca.jpg
2bafc928d58ed14619a9e26fa793fae9.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Finally got around to putting some backsplash in the bathroom..."broke up the all tan wallpaper just right" said the DW.

Also pushed the delete button on the infamous bathroom faucet that one can't even wash their hands under. This one has about 2" more reach and height....just what the factory should be giving us all.
bccd38156dc0dd154f464ffc1876e6f1.jpg
1938f0bc5b2b5d7f9d5bcbeb166b22ca.jpg
2bafc928d58ed14619a9e26fa793fae9.jpg

Looks great!

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Yup, the faucets were #1 on the list after we took possession of our '15 BH. Looks great. Good job on the back splash too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk