Washington-Oregon-Northern California

8amps

We are new, soon-to-be (like in the next 2 days) Full-timers. However, we are considerably behind our original target date in leaving our home town of Denver. Our original plan was to go up to Washington (just across the Columbia River from Portland), spend a little time there and work our way down Oregon coast and then on down thru California coast ending up in Vegas sometime around the holidays. We had planned to set out in early September, but have had a few unexpected delays. So we are ready to go in the next few days. We were going to go up through Yellowstone via Cody, out through Jackson to Idaho and then up to Washington. By the time we visit Yellowstone and visit family in Washington, it will be probably November 1 before we start heading south thru Oregon. Wondering is this too late in the year? Have we missed the window for better weather this year?

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Hope things smooth out for you as you begin your new adventure. Safe travels!

branson4020

Icantre Member
It will be gray and rainy and absolutely gorgeous on the coast by the time you get here. Bring a hat and enjoy it.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
The Oregon coast is always beautiful and if you don't mind the rain you won't regret it. Obviously early September would have been optimum, but there are still beautiful sights to see in both Oregon and Washington.

Rod Ditrich

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Your weather problems are probably going to be around Yellowstone. The Portland area can get icy, but that is usually a little later. The coast could be sunny and beautiful, windy, cold, or rainy. It could be all of them in the same day. It is always pretty though. Brookings is the last town on the south coast. It can hit much warmer temps than the rest of the state due to its unique location.

Enjoy your trip!

Kristy

Crumgater

No problem over on the coast - we're up in Seattle, still enjoying 70+ weather this week. Yesterday was a new record high at the airport - 78F! Supposed to be an El Nino winter - so a little warmer than usual. Cool drizzle is coming soon, though... i.e. this weekend. Snow levels are still well above the passes, though, so traveling should be no problem for another month or more.

I'd say the window for enjoying Yellowstone is pretty well closed. Nearly everything there shuts down on the last day of September. We tried a fall trip a few years ago, but didn't seem worth it when so much was closed. If it's on your way, it's probably worth a day to see what you can... but I'd check ahead to see what's open.

Congratulations on going full time! Enjoy!!

Manzan

Just remember that at the elevation of Yellowstone and Jackson, snow can arrive any time. Went over Independence Pass on I-90, July 4th one year in a snow storm. Check ahead. The road south and down into Idaho from Jackson is all down hill. Remarkable mileage. Heading south from Portland on I-5 you could run into trouble going over the Siskiyous but the coast route is almost always drivable. Good thing to check the forecasts there also. Lots of beautiful sights on the Oregon coast and Northern California. If you go the coast rt, the Redwoods are awesome!

Thenomads

If you are going to be in Northern California the Redwoods are a must see! There are private, state and National Parks to see. And don't forget to drive through the entire Avenue of the Giants (south of Eureka, CA). It is a scenic drive (old hiway 101) that parallels the new hiway 101, if you do nothing but take the drive it will add about 30 minutes. I suggest staying a few days and explore. There is at least 1 RV park. Beautiful area you won't regret the time spent. Safe travels:)