Equalizer Hitch adjustment

alex800

Hello all,

New member here, new trailer new hitch. We purchased new 2015 Wilderness 3150DS from Camper World. This is our first trailer, we had popup before. We also got Equalizer hitch installed by dealer but I think it needs some adjustments. I noticed the rear of my Expedition is sagging about 2 ½ - 3 inches and front virtually the same with and without weight distribution. The trailer appears to be level when hooked up with WD engaged. I realize that Expedition has a soft suspension but should I attempt to transfer more weight to the front axle? I read somewhere that both front and rear should squat about 1 ½ together.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Alex

jimtoo

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other members will jump in with some suggestions soon. Enjoy your new toy and join us at a rally when you can.

Jim M

pegmikef

When I had a travel trailer, I was using the EAZ-Lift WD hitch system. The formula for adjustment was that the top of the hitch ball should be one eighth inch above the trailer's ball cup for each hundred pounds of tongue weight . . . i.e., 800 hundred pounds of tongue weight would put the ball one inch above the tongue's ball cup when the trailer is level. Work like a champ on my North Trail.

Last edited:

Manzan

The amount of squat should be about the same front and rear. Another way to check is to way your TV with and without the trailer front and rear. The increase in weight should be about the same for both front and rear axles. Weight distribution! Spring arms level, may be necessary to tilt the ball head to do accomplish this.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Download the owners manual from the equalizer website. There is a step by step work sheet that you go through and record your measurements. It works really well and you should get great results if you follow the worksheet information. There are step by step instructions that cover all the adjustments for the hitch.

I would also suggest using grease on the spring bars to reduce noise and wear as recommended in the owners manual. I use a synthetic grease "super-lube".

alex800

Hi again,

Thanks for the replies so far. I spent some time today adjusting my hitch and I think I got it where to where I want it to be or very close but would still appreciate some feedback from more experienced folks.

Here are my measurements. (Done without any passengers)

TV only – no Trailer

Front wheel well height – 35 ¾
Rear wheel well height – 35 ¼

====================================================

TV and TT – No weight distribution engaged

Front wheel well height – 36 3/8
Rear wheel well height – 33 3/8

TV and TT – With weight distribution engaged

Front wheel well height – 35 ¾
Rear wheel well height – 34 1/8

I also decided to drive 40 mi to CAT scale and here are the results with passengers.

TV only – no Trailer

Front Axle load – 3240 Lbs
Rear Axle load – 3560 Lbs

TV and TT – No weight distribution engaged

Front Axle load – 2700
Rear Axle load – 5060
Trailer Axles load – 6480

TV and TT – With weight distribution engaged

Front Axle load – 3180
Rear Axle load – 4380
Trailer Axles load – 6660

According to my calculation I have the following:

TV weight = 6800
Gross Combined Weight = 14240
TT Weight = 7440
Tongue Weight = 960

According to the above weights I’m about 70lbs over my hitch limit and about 130lbs over my Rear axle limit.

My next move is to try to adjust weight distribution and move more weight to the front axle.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Manzan

Weight on your front axle should increase with trailer hooked up, not decrease. WD not adjusted right but getting there. Will be more stabile towing also. Being that close to being over loaded does not leave much for adding anything. Might plan on a heavier TV in the near future

alex800

Manzan, that is my plan to move weight towards front axle which should at the same time decrease my hitch and rear axle weight if I an understanding it correctly. Also at the time I weighted my rig I was 95% loaded with my all gear and family.

Regards,

Alex

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Manzan, that is my plan to move weight towards front axle which should at the same time decrease my hitch and rear axle weight if I an understanding it correctly. Also at the time I weighted my rig I was 95% loaded with my all gear and family.

Regards,

Alex

Don't forget that you should have a full tank of gas when you get weighed as well.

I should also mention that if you are making all of these adjustments, but are not well versed at what you are doing, perhaps you should seek out a reputable trailer hitch shop and have them not only set it up correctly to your tow vehicle and trailer, but also instruct you on the proper procedure of hitching it all up when you travel.

I have the Reese WD setup, and I've gotten good at setting it up when we go!

I got a new tow vehicle six weeks ago, and even though in theory (according to the guys at the hitch shop) that I shouldn't need the WD setup, I like to have it as a safety feature for peace of mind as extra security of my hitch up!

My new truck sits much higher in the rear end than my old one did, so I had to get a new adjustable drop down as my old drop down set at it's lowest on the new truck had the trailer sitting high in front (notice this in two photos below):

Newtruckoldhitch-IMG_20140828_134053993.jpg Newtruck&trailer-IMG_20140829_090639644.jpg NewTruck&Trailer-IMG_20140828_104506854 (1).jpg

Here is a shot of the new drop down on the new truck (and I'm about $400 lighter :p ):

NewHitchCloseup-IMG_20140918_163520140.jpg

The whole idea of the weight distribution hitch is to have your tow vehicle level while traveling.

And it is also important that you adjust the height of the ball so that when you have the WD setup correctly and your tow vehicle is level when hitched up, your trailer should also be level as well.

In this shot both truck and trailer are now nice and level:

NewTruckTrailerLevel-IMG_20140918_130913251.jpg

I'm not sure how you hook up the Equalizer (did they give you instruction at CW when they were installed?), but with my setup I attach the ball to the trailer, then raise the front of the trailer until the back of the truck looks a little higher than having the truck level (with the gas tank already filled).

Leaving the tongue crank supporting the weight of the trailer tongue and the back of the truck raised, I then attach the torsion bars to the hitch, then place the chains at the predetermined link . . . then I raise the crank until it is off of the ground so that I can view the truck and trailer.

If the rear of the tow vehicle is still low, you'll get sway as the front of the vehicle will be riding light!

And you'll get that back and forth wandering in the steering wheel.

Hope this helps.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Alex,

Are your spring bars parallel to the ground?

You may be able to raise the L brackets up one or two "notches" that should move more weight to the front axle.

As long as your front TV height should remain about the same but the back should go up a bit. You don't want to go higher in the rear than the unloaded heights but you look like your getting close.

If you cannot raise the spring bars because the back end of the bars will be to high if you raise the L brackets, You may need to add spacer washers. Contact Equal-I-zer they may send you a few more if you need them. I think you can have up to 8 spacer washers. If you need to add that many spacer washers, You may need to raise the entire ball assembly on the shank and reduce the number of spacers.

You should be able to fine tune the equal-I-zer pretty close to where you need it. A test drive is also good to do as that can help you determine if you want more or less weight distributed to the front axle.

I think it is well worth the time and effort to learn how to adjust this hitch as a dealer is not always convenient or may not be interested in getting it well tuned for your conditions.

etcmss

attached equalizer manual may help big pdf may not come thru.

Attachments

• EQOwnersManual.pdf
    5.9 MB · Views: 21