Excessive Wind noise and flapping of Slide Toppers

Does someone have a suggestion to alleviate the noise and the extreme motion of the Slide Toppers during windy conditions?

We have had to pull our slide in with 40 mph gusting winds in order to sleep. The noise was so loud.

Someone suggested 'beach balls, half inflated' placed inside the Topper. This doesn't seem to be feasible for them to remain in place with strong winds.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

jimtoo

Moved to better area for answers.

Some folks use the beach balls and some make a pvc pipe support to place under the awning.

rxbristol

Does someone have a suggestion to alleviate the noise and the extreme motion of the Slide Toppers during windy conditions?

We have had to pull our slide in with 40 mph gusting winds in order to sleep. The noise was so loud.

Someone suggested 'beach balls, half inflated' placed inside the Topper. This doesn't seem to be feasible for them to remain in place with strong winds.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

I tie ours down. I bought rope and bungees from Lowes. I then tie a loop at each end of the rope, loop it over the slides (with the use of a 8' step ladder) and use the bungees to bring the loops together under the slides. It has been very effective here in north Texas when our winds are 30 mph +. We just got in from the North Texas Rally and did not get a chance to tie my down before the storms hit, so I will hear the flopping tonight. It may not look pretty, but it's effective.

MTPockets

I made a topper support using PVC pipe. It stays put under all conditions. Everything you need at Lowes or Home Depot. Just push the pcs together (no glue) and take apart for storage when traveling.

rxbristol

I made a topper support using PVC pipe. It stays put under all conditions. Everything you need at Lowes or Home Depot. Just push the pcs together (no glue) and take apart for storage when traveling.

I like this idea better than mine...any pictures?

MTPockets

I like this idea better than mine...any pictures?
Don't have pic. I used 1 1/2 PVC and put together what looks like a saw horse. The angle pieces and round ends for the feet are all parts in plumbing aisle.. Just cut pipe to necessary length. For my long slide, I made two shorter lengths instead of one long, and slide one under awning from each side. Just remember to remove before putting the slides back in.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I posted some pics a while back of my PVC support. Don't have them on my iPad, but you could try a search for the thread. Currently watching the waves roll in from our 8th floor balcony

John & Darlene,
We would like to view the pics of your PVC support to the slide toppers you refer to.
Just went through all the pages of the 'threads' re. Toppers, and cannot find the pics.
Would you consider re-posting the pics on our forum?
Really enjoying so much info., so many challenges and the resolve of them is interesting.
Thank you for your time and support.

pegmikef

I tie ours down. I bought rope and bungees from Lowes. I then tie a loop at each end of the rope, loop it over the slides (with the use of a 8' step ladder) and use the bungees to bring the loops together under the slides. It has been very effective here in north Texas when our winds are 30 mph +. We just got in from the North Texas Rally and did not get a chance to tie my down before the storms hit, so I will hear the flopping tonight. It may not look pretty, but it's effective.

Maybe I am not as picky or my toppers are mounted a little tighter because I don't seem to be bothered much by excessive wind (it did break my flagpole in Amana though). We live in West Texas so the rig has been exposed to plenty of wind as well as in Oklahoma. We are also at the rally, but I don't think the wind materialized although we had plenty of rain!

JohnDar

Actually, mine looks like this. A bit shorter on the support legs. The last photo shows it disassembled for storage. From the rear ladder I can usually install and remove it using my awning rod (unless it comes apart, then I need my extension ladder). Since we sit on the same site all summer, it's not a big deal. Only the main slide needs this, the others are tight and don't collect water.

danemayer

I have the same as JohnDar so either we think alike or I copied his. :p

The only difference is that at the middle joint I've drilled small holes for cotter pins and tie the pieces together with nylon string, leaving a few inches of slack. That way if they come apart while pulling them out, the string lets me get both pieces out. The slack allows them to fold up side-by-side. Put the cotter pins in sideways so they're not in contact with the awning material.

JohnDar

I have the same as JohnDar so either we think alike or I copied his. :p

The only difference is that at the middle joint I've drilled small holes for cotter pins and tie the pieces together with nylon string, leaving a few inches of slack. That way if they come apart while pulling them out, the string lets me get both pieces out. The slack allows them to fold up side-by-side. Put the cotter pins in sideways so they're not in contact with the awning material.

I can see a modification to mine.

rxbristol

After trying the PVC and balls today...I've gone back to the rope tie-down method...it reduced the noise by 95 percent in our 40 mph wind gusts today.