New E289 Owners

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
For the first 10 rallies or so, we were the only travel trailer. For the longest time we were the only North Trail. We were always among a lot of Heartlanders though.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John.....this rally is larger than I ever expected. I think it will be the most RV's from any Quatzsite Heartland Rally thus far.,,,,should be a real hoot....
Can't wait and it will be great to see you and Cathy again.....remember, you need to spell CAT not say the word around Dakota or she will go crazy trying to find them ha

Our cats are very large (Maine Coone's) . . . but we'll keep them in our trailer!

'Lil Guy'

Hey, I'm glad you went with what your truck could pull. I am sure it would not be fun to get into a coach that is too big for the tow vehicle. (did that with our Lil Guy!) And I for one am glad you got an ElkRidge. We're a rare breed at the Rallies. ;)

Thanks. I read a lot on this forum about pros and cons of TV payload, etc. I feel comfortable with this combination. At max payload my truck drops to about 14K towing weight. When I get my small external fuel tank, I'll be a little over on payload but I'm guessing the rig will weigh around 9200# loaded. With the 3:42 gears, shouldn't be a problem at all. I've ordered the Timbren rear suspension enhancer system to replace the stock rear bumpers. Don't even come into play until you reach an inch of sag.

jnbhobe

I've ordered the Timbren rear suspension enhancer system to replace the stock rear bumpers. Don't even come into play until you reach an inch of sag.

Do your self a favor and put on air bags, The Timbrens will give a rough ride, been there done that twice.

'Lil Guy'

I could do that I guess. I'll try the Timbrens 1st since I've already ordered them. Went to check on status and the new awning and awning lights are about a week away. My newest concern is about the ride height of the rig. Lowest position of the hitch is 13" and the clearance of t the kingpin and bed is around 8 to 9". Would that put too much weight on the back tires of rig? Am I worrying too much? I hope so. Won't feel good till it's hooked up and looks right. They suggested turning the springs o raise the rig. No! Absolutely not. If this truck is too tall in stock height for a 5er, then I'll just go with another TT. Not getting a new truck now. I f anyone is towing with this ruck, lease chime in. Thanks in advance.

jnbhobe

Leave the Timbrins off for now and let it sag a bit that may help get things level. Don't spend money till you have to.

'Lil Guy'

Well, during the lull since they've had to reorder me another awning since they used the one they ordered for my replacement on another rig, I've started addressing the height issues. The Elkridge is prepped for the correct track II system. Not only will it align my axels, it raises it 2". They've been installed. I ordered 16" wheels with 235/80/R16E1 tires. Will be here tomorrow and I'll get them mounted on the new wheels Wednesday. These are Goodyear marathon tires. I know what everyone thinks of them but I figured if I have my axels aligned right and get my rig to tow level, I'll be OK. Being E rated 10 ply at well over 3K# each, that is serious overkill on weight with the new tires and rims. Tire diameter from 28.3 to 30.8 will help also with RPM of tires and at 80% of 9K# by 4 means about 1800# per tire, should be easier on the tires. I'ld really like to get the rig out of there due to it becoming a parts machine. We're going to do another PDI when they say it's ready. Again, still waiting to pull it out. I guess I'll lose about a month on the warranty since we closed on it a while back. My 1st mistake. I retire in a year. At that time I'll opt for the best tire I can put on it. I tried to order the Maxxis but they were out of them. Didn't kndow when they would ge my size in.

'Lil Guy'

Finally brought it home. With the 5th Airborne KP and my Q16 Curt hitch, it pulled like a dream. A little more trouble getting backed in our driveway to load up before putting it in her stall. I'll figure it out. A thanks to johnpsz'z post on the tire mods. Really helped level out my rig. The 2" lift and the additional lift with the 235/80/R16E ties made it about perfect. Going to take her out in Dec. with weather permitting. Made reservations at the Texas State Railroad park in Rusk. Meeting the little ones to ride the Polar Express. An X-mas tradition. Any way, it's home and thaks for all of the help from this forum. At 31', it's still the Lil Guy but it has an attitude now. Thanks again for every ones help.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Finally brought it home. With the 5th Airborne KP and my Q16 Curt hitch, it pulled like a dream. A little more trouble getting backed in our driveway to load up before putting it in her stall. I'll figure it out. A thanks to johnpsz'z post on the tire mods. Really helped level out my rig. The 2" lift and the additional lift with the 235/80/R16E ties made it about perfect. Going to take her out in Dec. with weather permitting. Made reservations at the Texas State Railroad park in Rusk. Meeting the little ones to ride the Polar Express. An X-mas tradition. Any way, it's home and thaks for all of the help from this forum. At 31', it's still the Lil Guy but it has an attitude now. Thanks again for every ones help.

Baker you know I have a rally the first weekend in December at s toledo bend state park right? Not sure when you are going to rusk but if you are that far south might as well come to my rally too huh? J/k. Hope you enjoy the new rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

Do you guys need a floor show? Back in camp sites? We'd love to attend but I'm going on trip the following week However, we might be able to attend. I'll know for sure in about a week. Debbie would like to go so that is putting pressure on me. I'll give you an update in a week or so. Turning 65 on the 21st. Don't know if can drive that far at my age.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Do you guys need a floor show? Back in camp sites? We'd love to attend but I'm going on trip the following week However, we might be able to attend. I'll know for sure in about a week. Debbie would like to go so that is putting pressure on me. I'll give you an update in a week or so. Turning 65 on the 21st. Don't know if can drive that far at my age.

We would love to have you guys but I understand some of you old guys can't drive very far...lol. J/k. But yes it is back in sites and yes we would enjoy the show. If my DW can back up our 49 footer you can back yours up with no problem.

Btw we will be very laid back at this one and just getting to know each other. Heck we my even have a cocktail or three. Lol

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Congrats!! We enjoyed taking our rig and our parents to ride the train from Rusk to Palestine and back.
78d8fa8c366d4243f3aa0b6814084354.jpg

14872739edc275f6b0fee477a6be12e0.jpg

This is site 14. Although it's a back in site, it was easy to get into! Many of the pullthroughs are not very long and have trees that will make entry or exit challenging.

'Lil Guy'

Heck, I can back into that space with an angle like that. Haven't seen the park but looks good in your pics. 1s ride we did on the train was round trip. The second leg was tiring to me. We did get robbed by outlaws on it. We've since been there for the Thomas the Train ride an 2 Polar Express rides. Never get tired of seeing the GK's eyes when the train slows an comes to a stop at the North Pole. With Santa, elves lights, presents etc.

We'd love to make the rally. Watching the weather a work schedule. We'll let you know as soon as we can. Cocktails in a SP sound good to me. Campfire?

BTW, while setting up the new rig in the driveway, I was cussing my dealer and Heartland the whole time was under the RV on my back working on the rear jacks. Being manual, I didn't give them much thought on my walk through. dropped the 1st one with the drill and walked around to find the other on backwards. The hex for adjustment was on the inside under the RV. I would be embarrassed to do work like that. Hope nothing else rears it's head

JohnD

BTW, while setting up the new rig in the driveway, I was cussing my dealer and Heartland the whole time was under the RV on my back working on the rear jacks. Being manual, I didn't give them much thought on my walk through. dropped the 1st one with the drill and walked around to find the other on backwards. The hex for adjustment was on the inside under the RV. I would be embarrassed to do work like that. Hope nothing else rears it's head

Don't rely on those scissor jacks for ANYTHING!

They are ***!

And that is with a capital 'K'! (***- junk)!

I've removed the front two . . . and will probably remove the back two before we travel again!

Last edited:

'Lil Guy'

The scissor jacks are fine if you use them for what they are for. They stabilized my NT21 pretty well. I'm sure there are better options but for the time being, that is what we'll use. We've also used the screw up jacks that go under the frame rail. They are more solid. The electric jacks in the front work good. Anyway, I'll refrain from throwing them out till I get something better to take their place. What do you suggest? I've never had problem with adding upgrades. My next rig is going to have a hydraulic leveling system.

JohnD

The scissor jacks are fine if you use them for what they are for. They stabilized my NT21 pretty well.

We've also used the screw up jacks that go under the frame rail. They are more solid.

I'm glad I saved my old screw-up jacks from our old trailer as I use them always when camping.

SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg CamperJacks-IMG_0507.jpg CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg

I had to remove the front two scissor jacks as they dragged on the sidewalk when backing the trailer into our side yard.

The rear ones clear just barely, which is why I am thinking of removing them as well.

Although they are handy when pulling into a campground for a one night stay when not unhooking the trailer from the truck and just need a quick stabilizing fix!

I also use slide-out stabilizer jacks . . .

I know a lot of people around here swear against them, but they sure make our trailer more stable when parked!

'Lil Guy'

OK, what is the 3rd little key for? I can't figure it out. Just installed the Mor/ryde full articulating and locking TV mount in living area and another in the BR. New end table w/magazine rack, two drink holders. What else do I need? Seriously, I can't figure out what the 3rd key is for. Called the dealer and was told to get rid of it if I don't need it. Not the answer I wanted. Maiden voyage 1st week of Dec. Going to the La. rally at S Toledo Bend SP.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You could have an entry door key, slam baggage lock key, and front storage compartment key (CH751).

'Lil Guy'

Ill sure check as soon as the rain quits. Thanks but I thought I locked it with the other cargo door key.