Polymer Resin "gel coat" on new Sundance

ttondro

Our Sundance is actually 6 months old and we were thinking about how to wax it. A Camping World RV service center which is doing some warantee work for us says that they will apply this Polymer Resin to our 33 foot rig for $675. What do you all think? I read about how everyone waxes their gel coat but no one talks about putting ON a gel coat. I am sure there must be a more affordable way to gel coat the rig, and need to figure out how to get this done. We saw a motorhome in a rest stop today that simply gleamed and he said bugs just fall off. How can we get this look and protection for our 5er?

Thanks to everyone for their help and ideas! By the way, we live in SF Bay Area, so if you have specific dealers/body shops, etc. to recommend which can apply this, we would love to know!

jdfishing

I paid a lot of money to have my first Bighorn sprayed with a product (forgot the name) which was supposed to last for years and take the place of waxing. It was crap and a waste of money. I was waxing it in the first year. Not sure what product yours is, but buyer beware.

jnbhobe

Do you have gel coat side walls or filon?? Gel coat is smooth and easy to polish, filon is rougher to the feel. You can put on your own polymer for less than $75. Camping World is way way too high priced.

jnbhobe

Check with some auto body supply or boat supply stores. Mine is with the RV in storage I can look the first of the week

GOTTOYS

Can you suggest a polymer and where i might buy it?
What they are using is the same product as Rejex, Simoniz Ice, Nu-Finish and many others. They call it a resin but it's nothing more than a coating. If you read the fine print they will probably require you to bring in in annually for an "inspection" and re-coating. The warranty will also show that if it doesn/t work you will get a refund....pro-rated of course. You can do the same thing very easily for under $20.00 using any of the listed products. This is one of the most profitable scams in the RV, Boat and Auto industries. Having worked at a couple car dealers I've seen how much profit this can bring in. The only one that's worse is the "Fabric Protector" program that they sell for a hundred or two. This requires applying some Scotchguard or a similar product from a spray can, letting it dry and taking your money for it. Run Forrest run......Don

MTPockets

I put my money on ReJex. Www.rejex.com will give you all the details. It's a polymer protective coating and Since I tried it the first time, I would never use a wax or anything else.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The stuff they use costs about $10 and is worthless. For 1/2 the price you can have someone come to your home to wash and wax your coach. Unless things have changed....you should not wax the graphics. Use 303 protectant. You should use only "dawn dish soap" to wash the roof.