Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: First 24 hrs of ownership, NIGHTMARE! Getting run around between heartland warranty and dealer

1. Print this Post   #21

Re: The lowest price generally is very rarely the best deal...

Wow, I hope you are able to get some help with your situation. Have you talked with someone at Heartland? The dealership is such an important part of the process when it comes to getting a new rig. It doesn't sound like they did much of an inspection before they shipped it off to you. This won't help you now, but when you buy a rig, it's pretty important to go through all the systems, run the water, check for issues, try the heat and a/c, etc. BEFORE you sign the papers and hand over the money. I have a very high opinion of the dealership that we bought our rig from, and I don't think I would even buy another from them without looking it all over myself first.
    Jessica

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
    2011 Landmark Rushmore

Fulltiming it as of 12/12/12!

www.rikerrvdays.blogspot.com

2. Print this Post   #22

Re: First 24 hrs of ownership, NIGHTMARE! Getting run around between heartland warranty and dealer

NicoleJ,

With the explanation that the dealer is in Ohio and you're in North Dakota, it's starting to get a bit clearer why the PDI didn't happen. A transport driver wouldn't necessarily work for the dealership or know anything about RVs. And sending a dealer employee on a 2,000 mile round trip to do a PDI would be pretty expensive. It also makes it impractical to return to the selling dealer for warranty service. And I'd guess the selling dealer is not planning on sending someone to your location to do repair work. The warranty (in your Heartland Trailer Manual) makes you responsible for delivering the trailer to an authorized service location for warranty work. No doubt the dealer has already or will soon let you know that.

I'd suggest you ask Heartland to recommend and pre-approve warranty service by a local independent shop, another dealer, or a mobile servicer near you. Btw, paying for mobile service travel time is sometimes a better deal than packing up, paying for diesel fuel, and waiting around at a dealer or staying in a hotel.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #23

Re: First 24 hrs of ownership, NIGHTMARE! Getting run around between heartland warranty and dealer

I know it's after the fact, but we probably talked to the same dealer you bought from that was advertising units at a substantial reduction. Thankfully this wasn't our first rodeo, and in the end we decided that the price difference was not the worth the difference in hassles should warranty problems occur (they did) which led us to purchase closer to home. Buying a unit so far away without a hands on inspection prior to the sale is extremely risky even if it is a new unit. PDI's are the single most important part of the buying process. Thankfully Heartland has a good customer service department, and will do all they can to resolve your problems. Hopefully it will all be resolved quickly.
    Jan & Bill,Attalla, AL HOC #2576
    2016 Ford F350 - 2013 Bighorn 3260EL
    Sadie Mae, Gone but never forgotten Brandi, Muffin, Millie and Lola

AlaMissiBamaSsippi Spring & Fall Rally 2013 , Spring Rally 2014
    Georgia Pine Mountain Rally 2015 , TN Rally 2015

4. Print this Post   #24

When its winterized, plugging the drains? I have never heard of this, who would you do such a thing? I can see why you would pour anti-freeze into the drains to winterize the P traps, but plug them...... so water wont drain thru???
    Last edited by sengli; 11-13-2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling
    2015 Landmark Ashland 365
    2014 RAM 3500 Laramie Long Horn, HO diesel dually, 3.73, AISIN
    2013 Big Horn 3260RS (sold)
    2011 Elkridge 26RLSS(sold)

5. Print this Post   #25
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

Sengli just asked my question. Who told you to plug the drains and then run water?? What drains were plugged?? Were the holding tanks already full?? Were the valves open to drain the tanks while running water. Were all the "switching" valve knobs in the right position in the UCD?? Not being there and seeing what was going on....the things you discribed really has me baffled. If the black tank was full..its should have flooded the stool area or blew water out the vent stack on the roof. Water running out the bottom will not hurt anything as there is no wood in that area. Only the coroplast cover and "bubble type" insulation. Inquiring minds would like to know...who, how and why. I am still baffled about the water problem at the outside kitchen. What caused that issue??

BTW, what is the water pressure at your CG?? Maybe..just maybe your water leak at the black tank was caused by the tank rinser being turned on and had too much water pressure to it. It happened to me one time and water was running out an interior wall. Get a good water pressure regulator, with a gauge and have to more than 50 PSI at all times.
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

6. Print this Post   #26

Buying your 1st RV is a learning process. I also looked at the discount dealers but chose to purchase closer to home because of warranty issues. If I knew then that my dealer would not meet my expectations for service, I might have gone ahead and purchased it from Holman RV, since they have a good reputation and BBB rating. However, by joining this forum before purchasing our Cyclone, I was well aware of the importance of a thorough PDI among a few other issues like the Towmax tires. It really pays to do your homework, and that's just the way I roll. Even after all of that, I missed a few things during my PDI. I will do much a better job on my next purchase.
    2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528 Diesel Pusher
    2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 CC Ecoboost - Toad
    2013 F250 King Ranch 4x4 CC - Work Truck
    2013 Cyclone HD 4100 King (Sold)
    2013 F350 4x4 DRW Lariat Ultimate (Sold)

7. Print this Post   #27

Lol! Ok. We got delivery about 3PM Friday. After going over exterior with delivery guy, and finding large scratch that was attempted to be covered up, noted and signed deliver sheet.
    I started moving stuff out of our TT into new RV, as we sold TT. When hubby got off work around approx 6PM, he and 3 of his workers to help, connected water. I was inside and turned all faucets off, as we normally bleed lines etc. All the drains were plugged and faucets wide open/on. Since there was NO walk through/PDI, I hadn't unlocked outdoor kitchen. Little while later we smelled smoke and alarm went off. After checking inside we ran outside and seen/heard water pouring out of oit door kitchen. Faucet was wide open/on and drain plugged. I was told after asking/posting on several Facebook groups that this is the norm, for dealers to plug drains after pouring antifreeze in traps, why, I don't know. Something to do with bugs, pressure, idk. Faucets wide open to either get moismoisture out of faucets or something to do with moisture. Therefore none of the appliances in outdoor kitchen work now. Water made its way through there into bunkhouse carpet, and I'm assuming walls/trim and whatever is between outdoor kitchen and bunkhouse. We used towels and get all up we could, and could get to. Then used heaters, fans, and dehumidifier.
    The black tank, we're sure it's black tank, bc we poured sewer treatments unto toilet and added water, then discovered blue chemicals leaking around the bolts on the exterior underneath RV holding the underbelly up. Now there's brown and blue frozen mounds under RV, right where it's dripping. What all would be under there to ruin? The bolts where it's leakinleaking is unDer the bathtub. Also where the grey water pipe drains into black water pipe, where it connects right in the hole of underbelly is leaking.
    all this was in the first 8 hrs.
    dealership is sending mobile repair tech to fix everything possible on lot. Well go from there as to what needs to be done, how soon, etc. If we are able to fix everything possible on the lot, we will also be taking it in to authorized dealer for extensive inspection of all subfloor, insulation, flooring, appliances, etc once hubby is laid off amd we go home. Were not fulltime as we have a sticks and bricks, we only use RV for vacay or when hubby has to work out of state. There is a lemon law in Ohio, but I believe it's after a number of repairs, OR certain amount of issues in certain time frame, OR timeframe in which RV is in the shop.
    This has truly been a nightmare. At this point we haven't talked to HL but will be calling and forwarding emails so that it's on record.

8. Print this Post   #28
    Movin' on to the next thing... JohnD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
    At this point we haven't talked to HL but will be calling and forwarding emails so that it's on record.
    Yes . . . be sure to talk to Heartland directly about ALL of your issues . . .

PLEASE . . . don't swear off Heartland, as all of the RV manufacturers have quality control issues, and it seems that you got one of the ugly ducklings!

I'm thinking that your dealership stuck you with that . . .

I was not very happy with our dealership (matter of fact, they've lost me for ANY future business) . . .

But will I buy a Heartland product when we are ready to upgrade . . . YOU BET I WILL!

We love our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner and we WILL go with a Heartland RV when we are ready to upgrade to the next level!

Also . . . PLEASE join the Heartland Owners Club . . . you won't regret it!

And it is FREE for the first year!

You can do it right here on this website . . .
    Yuma AZ

Heartland Prowler RV Owners Facebook Page
    -------No Prowler Needed To Join! ^ CLICK HERE! ^

----Where my Heartland's have been:

9. Print this Post   #29
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

Nicole, what were the drains plugged with and where?? All the years we have been RV'ing....I have heard of plugging the drains. There would be no reason to plug the drains if it had been winterized. There would not be water in anything.
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

10. Print this Post   #30

What's the Heartland owners club?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast