Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: First 24 hrs of ownership, NIGHTMARE! Getting run around between heartland warranty and dealer

1. Print this Post   #1

First 24 hrs of ownership, NIGHTMARE! Getting run around between heartland warranty and dealer

Heck of a 24 hrs. RV (2015 Heartland Gateway 3650bh) delivered about 3PM Friday. RV dealer or salesman didn't tell us they'd winterized unit, which entails of opening all faucets and plugging all drains. Smelled smoke, smoke alarm went off, after searching inside seeing nothing, ran outside, outdoor kitchen which wasn't even unlocked yet, flooded. Carpet soaked in bunkhouse. Wood warped that we can see, no telling what we cant see behind walls, under carpet, etc!! Saturday we found black tank leaking!!! You can see the blue chemicals draining thru underbelly on every bolt on the front end of 5er!!! So now both ends of RV have water damage. Dried all from kitchen, carpet in back, etc. It's been snowing off and on since Sat. Dealer gave me a phone number for "his" service, said to call Monday! I'm also calling heartland!! Thankfully it's warrantied and bought extended warranty! Problem is were staying in it. RV dealers service rep said to call Heartland warranty, said he'd sent emails with details and pics. Warranty has no record. Continue to get runaround!!! With the black tank leaking into underbelly and externally from underpinning, this is hazardous!!!! Someone help!!!

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: First 24 hrs of ownership, NIGHTMARE! Getting run around between heartland warranty and dealer

Hi Nicolej,

Sorry you're getting off to such a shaky start. I'm a little confused though. Are you saying that you hooked up to city water and didn't realize that water was running through the open faucets? And that the holding tanks filled up until flooding started?

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #3

Re: First 24 hrs of ownership, NIGHTMARE! Getting run around between heartland warranty and dealer

No. We didn't know amd weren't told that unit was winterized, which entailed of all faucets wide open, and all drains plugged. There were 2 guys outside and myself inside. Once I heard water, I turned it off, and took all plugs out of drains. We continued moving stuff into RV. We hadn't unlocked all compartments at this point. After little while we smelled smoke, detector started alarming. After racing thru inside and checking all, we ran outside. This is when we heard water and saw it pouring from outdoor kitchen. Also definitely discovered where smell was coming from. At that point we got up as much water as we could. We discovered carpet in bh soaked. We ran fans, heaters, and dehumidifier. I did email salesman once we got water up that we could, and got fans and heatwrs going. His words were, and i quote, "Relax, its all marine grade" i know the speakers are, but obviously not the walls, floor, subfloor, underbelly, etc. You can the wood in the areas visible in outdoor kitchen is warped and trim coming off.
    The black tank leak was discovered the next day, at opposite end of unit. It was dripping underneath the shower area, but on the outside, coming from bolts holding underbelly.....
    When unit was delivered I was told I'd have to pay extra for walk through, bc they'd have to send someone qualified with delivery. After paying $**K for unit and $2K for delivery, we opted out of it. So we were on our own

4. Print this Post   #4

I'll also add that dealer said all with outdoor kitchen was bc it was winterized, however there was pink residue in bh sink and master bath sink. When we connected to water, there was NO pink flow from faucets. If it were winterized correctly, there should've been correct?

5. Print this Post   #5

NicoleJ

Sort of takes the fun out of a new RV doesn't it. Sounds like your dealer did not do a PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) for you. Weekend before last when I used my furnace on my new Gateway 3300ML for the first time, the smoke alarm went off too. It was because the unit is new and the alarm was picking up the "new smell". When we did the PDI, and the alarm went off, I saw the tech push the button on the alarm to stop the noise. He said to open the door and a window and let the furnace run for about 30 minutes to burn the "new smell" out of the unit and it should be OK. I did what he said, and it seems to have taken care of the problem.

My rig is back at the dealer's because the plumbing fitting where the grey tank drains into the pipe coming from the black tank was not sealed properly, and when I opened the black tank to drain it, it was shades of Robin William's first dump experience in the movie RV. Sewage sprayed out of the fitting. At least mine was not as full and not as bad the movie version. Your problems are much worse than mine, I hope everything works out for you soon. Sorry I can't be of any more help, my guess is that help for most of your problems is going to have to come from Heartland and your dealer.

6. Print this Post   #6

If water was coming out of the open faucets, it sounds like you had the hose correctly connected to the city water inlet (one way to get black tank flooding and leakage is to connect the hose to the black tank flush by mistake). So if flooding occurred with faucets closed, it would sound like one of the water lines is disconnected or broken. But it's not clear how the black tank would have overflowed and leaked. On most rigs, the only thing that empties into the black tank is the commode. On rigs with a 2nd bathroom, sometimes the sink and commode both empty into a 2nd black tank. But that still leaves the question of how the water got into the black tank.

Unfortunately it does sound like you'll have to go back to the dealer for service.

Btw, winterizing is usually done with RV antifreeze, but can also be done using compressed air, in which case there would be no pink stuff coming out of faucets.

2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

7. Print this Post   #7

Now, since we're in ND, our sewer and at the connections is frozen!!!! Where it's leaking in 2 areas, where you stated grey drains into black, the connection at that pipe has leak with ice chunks! The other leak around the bolts holding up the underbelly isn't leaking/dripping bc it's froze!

8. Print this Post   #8

Nicole,

If you're in the path of the arctic freeze, and temps are going down to -20 or -30 F, you need to winterize best you can before all your water lines freeze. If you don't winterize, you could have freeze damage to your water inlet, control valves, water pump, and other areas. If you have tank heaters, you need to keep them on, with some water in the tanks. If you don't have tank heaters, you need to drain all the water tanks to prevent damage.

We camp in temps down to -30 but have done a lot of work to protect the water systems at those temps, and we started with a much higher level of insulation.

2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

9. Print this Post   #9

See below post, already froze!

10. Print this Post   #10

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
    See below post, already froze!
    I saw the earlier post. You have other things that may freeze.

2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie