Battery Tray - San Antonio

I am contemplating replacing the battery compartment tray in my San Antonio. Currently, I have two 12 volt batteries. When the OEM tray is extended, for battery maintenance, the tray requires holding it or it will fall to the ground. Has anyone replaced their battery tray? Any suggestions on a replacement brand or remedy to the problem? Thanks.

jimtoo

Hi cyclst0920,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some suggestions from some of out other members soon.

Jim M

jbeletti

I nver replaced mine, but once, I did create an H frame out of 3 2x4s to support the near full extended battery tray. I did this on a 2005 Landmark Mount Rushmore when I addd a battery watering system to 2 6 volt batteries.

This said, see no reason you couldn't remove the plastic tray and enclosure, add a reinforced floor and a battery sliding tray like Mor/ryde, Kwikee etc.

I think Michael B (2psnapod2) had his battery box out (and his UDC etc) when he replaced his storage bay floor - so he may have some tips.

rxbristol

I am contemplating replacing the battery compartment tray in my San Antonio. Currently, I have two 12 volt batteries. When the OEM tray is extended, for battery maintenance, the tray requires holding it or it will fall to the ground. Has anyone replaced their battery tray? Any suggestions on a replacement brand or remedy to the problem? Thanks.

Maybe that's why my 2014 San Antonio does not have a battery tray.

jbeletti

Rex,

The later model Landmarks went to batteries in a plastic box in the front gen compartment. The reason as I understand it was to open up more floor space for the then optional portable refrigerator/freezer on a small sliding tray in the storage bay. I believe it ended up being a little ordered option and was later eliminated.

The batteries remained in the front gen compartment. When Landmark moved to offer a residential refrigerator as an option, the inverter was added to the gen wall above the battery case. So, pretty convenient at that point to have batteries co-located with the inverter and dedicated refer transfer switch. Now, the residential refer is a standard in all new Landmark 365s and a gas absorption refer is not an option.

Sorry for the long story, but this is why the dedicated batter bay was moved in later model Landmarks.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes the battery box tray and enclosure can be removed. It is really only screwed into the area with a few screws. I first removed the storage box that is above my batteries which was held in place with a couple of screws, and just slide it out of the hole. Once that box was removed, you will see that it is a fairly easy removal of the battery box. If you follow Jim's advice, I would also put the batteries into a enclosed case and vent them through the door. As they set now, they are vented using the sealed Battery box with just 2 vent holes. If you need some more info just let me know.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Maybe that's why my 2014 San Antonio does not have a battery tray.

I new setup did not let me use my tray. But as nice of a prior owner that I am, I keep the tray if and when we sell, the new owner can use it if wanted! I just dropped it in on the Left side of my Generator box.

rxbristol

Rex,

The later model Landmarks went to batteries in a plastic box in the front gen compartment. The reason as I understand it was to open up more floor space for the then optional portable refrigerator/freezer on a small sliding tray in the storage bay. I believe it ended up being a little ordered option and was later eliminated.

The batteries remained in the front gen compartment. When Landmark moved to offer a residential refrigerator as an option, the inverter was added to the gen wall above the battery case. So, pretty convenient at that point to have batteries co-located with the inverter and dedicated refer transfer switch. Now, the residential refer is a standard in all new Landmark 365s and a gas absorption refer is not an option.

Sorry for the long story, but this is why the dedicated batter bay was moved in later model Landmarks.

"Neat"...thanks for the info.