Rear Bumper Bike Rack

Chuckp

Hello

So has anyone installed a bumper type bike rack on the back of the Big Country 5th wheel if so can you tell me what brand and show pictures.

Thanks

jimtoo

Hi Chuckp,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you have questions about anything in/on your unit, you can find the answer most likely right here. We have a great search engine on the forum, both simple and advanced. Sometimes that is the fastest way to find an answer instead of waiting on someone to reply. While you are getting acquainted with the posting side of the forum try out the search tab for fun.

I have heard of some putting bike racks on the bumper,, but if I remember correctly some had problems due to the bouncing of the back end of the trailer.

Jim M

bigdob24

I went to the local welding shop and had one installed.
It has the regular 4" x4" square bumper on the back end that has been welded to the frame for support.
Very strong no bounce on this one.
It also let's me support the ladder , so it makes it usable without the worry of collapse .
Can take a pick tomorrow if needed .
$200 covered it so not too bad.

VKTalley

Hello

So has anyone installed a bumper type bike rack on the back of the Big Country 5th wheel if so can you tell me what brand and show pictures.

Thanks

Hi Chuck, we have a bumper mounted bike rack on our Big Country. I'll get Malcolm (MCTalley) to give you the details on it.

Chuckp

Thanks for the reply, But remember that the Big Country has no Exposed metal bumper. The bumper is coved by fiberglass

5864484_2.jpg

bigdob24

View attachment 33303Here is a pic of the bumper on my RV.
You can see the reciever hitch for the bike rack in the center of the bumper. Also I designed it close to the ladder so I could support it.
The material in this bumper is thicker than what would come stock on an RV, so it's stronger. It has two 2"x4" pieces that are welded to the frame .
It easily handles two adult bikes with no trouble.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 249

VKTalley

True, on the newer Big Countrys. Mine was built before the mid-year change and I have a "flat" back and a regular bumper.

timpas

We are facing the same problem with our Big Country as Chuckp, the rear body of the RV has the fiberglass wrapping down and around the frame. In addition to working on a design to weld to the frame I note that we will have to take the mounting frame down below the fiberglass body (or cut the RV body for bike framing to go directly out the rear). Our concern is that by running the framing from the weld point down and below the fiberglass RV body the framing will drag when we encounter a dip in the pavement at parking entry points, speed bumps, etc, etc. Will consult a welder but also looking for other input. We certainly hope Heartland monitors these exchanges to make improvements in future designs.

timpas

Just printed bigdob24's photo. We have the same model, 2014 Big Country 3070RE. We are interested in specifics of how the welding was done at the frame underneath. Perhaps a photo of that? Thanks. Tim P.

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had the factory add a hitch but I wouldn't do that again. Although ours is a Bighorn, the back cap is similar to yours. The factory receiver is 1-1/4" (or 1-1/2" ?), not 2". It is well placed in the center and is just a little lower than the bottom of the ladder. It will hit the ground before the ladder does when we are going through a dip so that's actually good. The problem is the bike rack needs a 2" receiver so we had to get an extension and that adds another foot or so. Our bikes bounce with the rack any time there is the slightest bump or dip in the road. That being said, we have traveled from Washington to southern California with them and have had no damage to the bikes or the bike rack. We do strap them together and bungee them to the ladder. Since we already spent the money on the hitch, extension and rack, we plan to continue to use them and take our chances! Depending on the weight of the bikes, I'd consider a ladder mount. We have met several people at rallies who are happy with that set up.

brianlajoie

My unit is similar to yours. We bought a Surco ladder rack to hold our two mountain bikes. So far we've traveled about 6500 miles with no issues. In addition to the rack attachment points, I use three straps, a bungee cord and a cable lock - the bikes have no room for movement or bouncing on the ladder. I check the bikes eack time I stop for gas or before we travel down the road.