Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying Advice or Experience

1. Print this Post   #1

Buying Advice or Experience

I am new to the forum and hopefully soon to be the owner of a 2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH owner. We are scheduled to take delivery of our new coach on Monday at Dixie RV in Hammond LA, but I have a concern and wanted to get some experience or advice from others. There is a discrepancy between what I discussed with the dealer and what the actual build sheet reflects. We discussed the coach having the King bed upgrade but after the seeing the build sheet on the unit to be purchased it has the queen bed. I have been asking the dealer for a week if this is something that can be addressed prior to my arrival. They have not as of yet responded to my questions with a definitive yes or no. The sales person said that one of the managers was supposed to call me to discuss options but that has yet to happen, so I am growing concerned if I can not get answers before the sale what will service be like after. After the delays, I decided to go look up some ratings on Dixie RV and man they are negative.

Dixie RV is not local to me, so I would like have it serviced locally. From what I understand, I can have my Heartland serviced locally by a certified repair shop.

I am trying to determine whether to stay the course with the deal or look for a Gateway from another dealer.

I know that unhappy people will write a review long before a happy customer will, so I wanted to get others experience and opinions. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Buying Advice or Experience

Hi scooter_X

Congratulations on the new Gateway and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

One way to find answers is to use the forum search engine or to browse the relevant sub-forum for the topic you want. Of course another way is to create a new thread with your question.

With respect to the Gateway on order, I would suggest that you not sign acceptance or take delivery until you're satisfied that you've got what you want.

If the unit was ordered with the king bed option and comes with the queen, it's possible it could be corrected locally, but it would require the local people have some wood working skills to replace the current bed platform as well as the mattress. A number of our owners have done their own mods going from king to queen, so it's certainly possible.

As for warranty service, you should try to find a local Heartland dealer who is willing to do warranty work for you. In the RV industry, unlike the auto industry, dealers are only required to provide warranty service on units they sell. If you buy elsewhere, your local dealer might point you back at the selling dealer. If you don't have any dealer support in your area, Heartland will probably authorize warranty service at a non-Heartland dealer, independent shop, or with a mobile servicer. However, you do need to get advance authorization.

When you go to pick up the unit, assuming it's the way you ordered it, plan on spending several hours on a pre-delivery walk through. Make sure you understand how everything works and check everything for proper operation.

Hope all goes well.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur babies Callie the Rally Dog and Cooper
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #3
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

If there are discrepancies between your order and what the dealer is trying to give you, request the VIN from them and call Heartland. They can tell you what it was ordered and built with. Of importance would also be the build date. Could be the dealer is trying to pawn off a unit from stock that almost met your specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with feline fuzzbutts Ally, Merlin & Mickey)
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL (sold 2020 and not replaced)

H.O.C. #1225

4. Print this Post   #4

If the deal is starting out poorly even before you accept delivery, it's probably only going downhill from there. Walk away if you can and start over somewhere else. Getting warranty service for some of the small nagging things that might pop up initially may not be easy to correct without going to the selling dealer. JMHO...Don
    Don & Kathy, Daisy Mae the rescue pup.
    She drives...He sits behind the steering wheel
    2016 SOB
    2015 Chev D/A 3500 Dually

5. Print this Post   #5

Accept only what you ordered. What you signed for is what the dealer is obligated to deliver. I recall, the manufacturer has the flexibility to make changes in model design and options, but not the dealer. Stick to what you want; if you cave now, you'll only regret it later.
    Terry & June

Rallys/Campouts
    2013: Williston, FL: Montgomery, TX: Elephant Butte, NM: Colorado Springs, CO: Chatham, IL
    2014: Rifle, CO: Huachuca City, AZ
    2015: Quartzite, AZ: Moab, UT: Heber City, UT: Central City, CO: Camp Verde, AZ
    2016: Tucson, AZ

6. Print this Post   #6

I think I would keep looking - lipstick on a pig is not what you want to buy. There is a warranty involved and if the dealer changes things then the factory doesn't have to back you up if the dealer bails out and won't help you anymore.
    Westwind
    2015 3500 D/A GMC Sierra SLE CC Short bed SW
    2008 2500 D/A GMC Sierra Extracab Shortbed
    Trailer Saver BD3 Air Bag Fifthwheel hitch
    2012 Bighorn 3070RL
    Past Trailer 2002 Sunnybrook 26FK
    Past Hitch Hensley Arrow Hitch

7. Print this Post   #7

When we ordered ours, I wanted to know when it was in the final stages of build so I could go to the factory and see the coach. When we did it came with a king bed and we ordered a queen with a night stand on each end. The wife pointed it out and within less than an hour it was corrected at the factory with factory workers. We were very happy.

8. Print this Post   #8
    Mountain Region Director Doublegranch's Avatar

Scooter_X..

For what its worth, my advise is listen to your gut....its saying this isn't right....walk away....there are way too many dealers to select from and most will deal with you.

9. Print this Post   #9

If you ordered a car with a V8 and came with a 6, would you keep it??

10. Print this Post   #10
    Icantre Member

Once you sign for it, you own it as is, and unless you have something in writing from the dealer, it will be very difficult to get any changes made. I think the dealer is just stalling so he can get you to accept delivery. I'd walk away.
    Bob & Joyce Krull
    Forest Grove, OR
    2009 Bighorn 3385

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast