2 inch receiver on Bighorn

danemayer

Hi Redrider007,

I'm pretty sure that Heartland won't provide a 2" receiver. Lippert doesn't support doing so on their frame and if you call Lippert, I'm sure they'll tell you that adding one will void your frame warranty.

That said, a number of owners have had 2" receivers fabricated locally for a reasonable price.

Let me also suggest you check local laws to see if there are any restrictions on combination towing or on overall length.

MTPockets

Hi Redrider007,

I'm pretty sure that Heartland won't provide a 2" receiver. Lippert doesn't support doing so on their frame and if you call Lippert, I'm sure they'll tell you that adding one will void your frame warranty.

That said, a number of owners have had 2" receivers fabricated locally for a reasonable price.

Let me also suggest you check local laws to see if there are any restrictions on combination towing or on overall length.
. This is correct to the point that Heartland most likely will not supply the 2" receiver. Lippert, I'm pretty sure, will sell a frame to Heartland with the 2" receiver, but cost is probably the deciding factor as it would be a much different frame to support the maximum stress that could be subjected with the 2" receiver.

sengli

Hey Red, one thing I never considered is the fact the rear half of the coach going down the road bounces alot. Anything you attempt to hang off the back of the coach will just enhance the bounce affect with more weight. We had that factory 1.25 hitch on our big horn, and my wife followed me as we left the dealer. We had just out bikes (maybe 60 lbs) on the rear hitch. She stopped me because they were whipping up and down something terrrible. That factory hitch is so long between the frame rails, with no extra support.. it flexes like a rubber band. We only went like 30 miles and I removed the bikes and never put them on there again.

I know SOB trailers do come with 2" recievers on them, but they also usually have their frames built differently than the lippert frame set heartland uses.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Not mention removing pin weight. A 200# dirt bike bouncing and twisting at the end of a frame could do a lot of damage. The bike would have to be at least 3' back from the rear of the frame. Too much leverage and weight to do it safely. The only way it might work is to have tubes welded to both frame rails so the bike is not twisting the hitch. With that said, by the time you have all steel in place you are now up to...well lets say 300#. Too risky for me. JMHO