1 1/4 " hitch class 1 or 2

danemayer

The receiver hitch used in past years was Lippert p/n 240221 which I believe is a class I. The Lippert drawing is attached.

Attachments

• Lippert Receiver Hitch 240221.pdf
    45.8 KB · Views: 36

dave10a

1.25 inch hitches by intent are class one hitches. However, the hitch Heartland has chosen is a very questionable class 1 hitch that my welder shop tells me that it is not safe for using as a general bicycle hitch-- to flimsy and pronounced sway. I had mine reinforced by a welder that I trust to make the hitch more safe for carrying bicycles. Also many bicycle rack manufacturers void their warranty as well a warn that their carriers are not to be used on trailers are only warranted for use on vehicles like cars, trucks and motor homes. So be ware :) I am surprise Heartland is still using that design.

GOTTOYS

The ones that I have seen are such a flimsy piece of junk that as a manufacturer, I would be embarrassed to install it.....Don

jnbhobe

I thought class 1 was a bumper hitch, class 2 was 1 1/4 inch, class 3 is 2 inch,class 4 I'm not sure if it's 2 or 2 1/2, and class 5 is 2 1/2 inch.

pegmikef

Is the 1 1/4 inch hitch a class 1 or 2 hitch?

I don't know what class mine is, but about the only thing I trust it with is holding my flag pole. It is really weak . . . the label says the max capacity is 150 pounds, but I wouldn't trust it with that amount.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't use mine at all. Too flimsy. Might upgrade it at some point but no plans to now.