Belly collecting water

My wife and I purchased a 2015 Savannah last June. Our first trip took us across Arkansas. We were traveling during a severe thunderstorm. During the storm up to 7" of rain fell. When we parked we noticed that a lot of water was flowing out from the belly of the coach. At the time I didn't think much about it and grabbed a quick nap. We were gone for three weeks. Our next trip took us to Florida, again in a rainstorm. I noticed the belly sheets were laying low. I called the dealership and they told me to cut several slits in the bottom to drain out the excess water. I did this and took the coach back to the dealer after our trip.
We found the entire bottom was filled with water. It had entered from the wheel well area. All the insulation had to be replaced. They informed me they have seen this on other coaches. I'm posting this to make people aware of the issue. I was lucky and they found no mold. I can see other problems arising due to the wheel well issue.

sengli

I have also experinced this same issue. The coroplast under belly material is not to be considered sealed barrier. It more like a cover at best. Water flying off the wheels at 60 MPH, comes off with alot of force. Since there isnt any wheel wells per say, its bound to blow by the coroplast. I ended up putting 1/4" holes in the lowest under hanging parts of the coroplast, so when water does get in there...it can drain on its own. Again, if I can, I dont tow my coach in the rain specifically because of this issue.

I won't tow in the rain if I can help it. The dealer was able to put something over the area that was causing the problem. It was a little scary seeing them reach around the tire area and pull out dripping wet insulation.
This next week we are heading to Florida and I will have more time to inspect what they fixed. We have checked to forecast and thankfully no rain expected.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I, from time to time, crawl around under the coach looking for gaps that need to be sealed to help prevent this. We, on the other hand, had the over flow tubes pull back into the belly and the fresh water over flowed into belly and we also had to replace the insulation. However it was warrantied since the unit was only a year old. Very attentive to this issue now. Preventative maintenance goes a long way even if you don't see and issues.

sengli

My coroplast under my coach is fully intact from bow to stern, but it doesnt "seal" all along its run with the frame. My model doesnt have very many holes in its belly lining, where plumbing comes in and out, and the holes that are there were sealed with the spray foam. But water still gets in the belly when towed in a down pour.

MTPockets

I experienced the same thing when driving on wet roads. There were some small gaps where the corroplast was cut around the leaf spring hangers. After draining the water, I used flat aluminum strips and secured them to the frame at the wheel area with self tapping screws. This closed the gaps and held the coroplast tighter to the frame. I also used a black silicone seal between the aluminum strips and the frame. I've had no further problems.

donr827

I think that the trailers at time of manufacturing should fix this problem. You pay good money for the trailer and then have water accumulation in the belly that can lead to insulation replacement should not be the norm. JMO
Don

mslater

my grey water tank leaks water into the belly if it gets too full. i have crawled under there to find where its coming from but can't find the issue so i leave grey water tank valves open and don't have the problem.

Bobemuzzy

My wife and I purchased a 2015 Savannah last June. Our first trip took us across Arkansas. We were traveling during a severe thunderstorm. During the storm up to 7" of rain fell. When we parked we noticed that a lot of water was flowing out from the belly of the coach. At the time I didn't think much about it and grabbed a quick nap. We were gone for three weeks. Our next trip took us to Florida, again in a rainstorm. I noticed the belly sheets were laying low. I called the dealership and they told me to cut several slits in the bottom to drain out the excess water. I did this and took the coach back to the dealer after our trip.
We found the entire bottom was filled with water. It had entered from the wheel well area. All the insulation had to be replaced. They informed me they have seen this on other coaches. I'm posting this to make people aware of the issue. I was lucky and they found no mold. I can see other problems arising due to the wheel well issue.

I used 1" round black plastic snap in louver vents with a insect screen($3.13 for six) it removes the water and also vents the underbelly which helps prevents mold and mildew.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
[QbUOTE=Bobemuzzy;396698]I used 1" round black plastic snap in louver vents with a insect screen($3.13 for six) it removes the water and also vents the underbelly which helps prevents mold and mildew.[/QUOTE]

Bob, can you post a pic of that? Sounds interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobemuzzy

[QbUOTE=Bobemuzzy;396698]I used 1" round black plastic snap in louver vents with a insect screen($3.13 for six) it removes the water and also vents the underbelly which helps prevents mold and mildew.

Bob, can you post a pic of that? Sounds interesting!
I will Post a photo or two when I get my rig back from a warranty repair The ones you found on Amazon are similar to the ones I have, you need to drill 1/8" or better holes on the sides 4 in all to help for drainage before you install the rings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

OEFVET

Bob, this is something I would like to fix before running into any problems. Could you post a pic for better understanding? Much appreciated!

Bobemuzzy

Bob, this is something I would like to fix before running into any problems. Could you post a pic for better understanding? Much appreciated!

Enclosed is a photo of the louver vents I used on my RV under belly cover. I bought these at www.ventmyhouse.com. Cost as $3.13 for 6 plus shipping.
Drill a 1" hole with a saw drill and makes sure you drill at lease two 1/8" or bigger holes on the ring flange for water drainage add a silicone sealant on the lip, push the vent in place with the louver facing the back of the RV an now you have water drainage and venting.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    637.6 KB · Views: 43

sengli

To take it a step farther, I was thinking of installing some 12V cooling fans roughly about 6- 8" in diameter in the belly. Maybe have 2 pushing air in, and maybe 2 pulling air out at opposite ends of the coach. Basically run them when you want to .

happykraut

my grey water tank leaks water into the belly if it gets too full. i have crawled under there to find where its coming from but can't find the issue so i leave grey water tank valves open and don't have the problem.
Had the same problem on my 2014 BH. I found a small hole in the tank up high, but could not see it. Factory replaced my tank.