So many options

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
The wife and I are new to the fifth wheel lifestyle. We will be getting our first one soon, and going full time in it. I have already purchased our TV, which is a 2009 Ford F-350 6.4 diesel dually. Looking through this part of the site there are so many options! It can be quite confusing at times. I have an 8ft bed on the TV and we are planning on getting a RV that is a minimum of 38 ft. I am pretty sure I don't need a slider hitch, but I see people saying it is better to have it and not need it. I also see people talking about changing the pin box. We are trying to make the best informed decision before we dive off into it. Personally I like to have options in case I need it one day. So should I just be looking at a fixed hitch, say a 20k? Am I really ever going to need a slider? What should I be looking for when I go to buy as far as the pin box. Appreciate all the help!

Mark

pegmikef

I don't think you need a slider with a long bed. With the Heartland turning radius even a lot of folks that have them with the shorter beds say they don't use them. I personally like the Moryde pinbox and had it installed at the factory when I ordered my Big Horn. It virtually eliminates chucking. A lot of the folks favor a lot of different hitches and pin boxes for various reasons and I am sure they will respond to this and you can sort through the responses to determine which one you think suits you.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have always had a long bed-8'- and have never needed a slider hitch. As Mike said, many people have them on short bed trucks and don't actually use them. I have the Trail Air pin box with the Tri Glide option and get a very good ride and no chucking at all. I have heard good things about the Mor Ryde pin box but have never owned one.

OEFVET

Go to TrailerSaver web site www.[URL="http://www.trailersaver.com/"]trailersaver[/URL].com and request a video and brochure. The TS3 (20,000lb) is an excellent hitch with air. It will protect your truck and trailer. The support staff have been outstanding as well. I have it matched up to a Mor Ryde pin box. Both are outstanding together.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

Go to TrailerSaver web site www.trailersaver.com and request a video and brochure. The TS3 (20,000lb) is an excellent hitch with air. It will protect your truck and trailer. The support staff have been outstanding as well. I have it matched up to a Mor Ryde pin box. Both are outstanding together.

I have this same setup (TS3 hitch and Mor/ryde pinbox). I wouldn't say it rides like a dream, but it works pretty well.

slborba

On our Landmark Monticello, I have the TrailAir pin and hitch is Hensley TS3...I think it's pretty close to a "dream ride". If it weren't for the rear view mirror I wouldn't know I had 18K behind me. My money well spent.

Steve

whp4262

Thx OEFVET, I will check it out!

Does your F350 have the pucks in the bed for a hitch already installed.. If so they are designed to fit the Reese Elite series hitch. B&W makes a hitch that will fit them as well. With the 8 foot bed you won't need a slider..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You do not need a slider. 1st truck was a SB and I bought a slider. Never used it in 4 years. Personally like the Mor/Ryde pinbox.