ATF: Landmark - hitch for back of Ashland

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I noticed there seems to be some brackets under the unit in the back that a hitch could be mounted too. Is there a hitch that is designed to be used? We would like to add a small hitch so we could carry bikes on the back of the 5th wheel.

Thanks,

Fred

jnbhobe

They are for the hitch but not strong enough and neither is the hitch. it will bounce too much and shake everything apart.

sengli

Ditto on the not strong enough...with the factory supplied 1.25 receiver type hitch. It can hold the bikes, but ours flexed so badly, I deemed it unsafe as shipped. Now if you have a hitch made with some re-enforcement maybe.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Looks like I will hold off until I can do more research on a stronger hitch. Very much appreciate all the feedback. You save me a lot of time just to find out it will not work.

Fred

MTPockets

They are for the hitch but not strong enough and neither is the hitch. it will bounce too much and shake everything apart.
We had the 1 1/4 factory supplied receiver and flexed so much it eventually broke the bike rack. So, I then had a custom 2" receiver made; it was very stiff, but - the bikes still bounced so much we stopped carry bikes on the back of the fifth wheel. Also, if you look closely at some of the bike rack manufacturers literature, they do not warranty their rack if used on the back of a trailer. The up and down motion is much different than the back of a vehicle.

Birchwood

We don't like to worry about anything on the back of our RV so we keep everything including our bikes in the basement.

sengli

My solution was to order and install a 2" bolt on... reciever from curt on the front of the truck. I slip the bike rack in the front reciver, which does not flex or move. Bikes hang in fron of the grill, and dont obstruct my view while driving. I guess I did this so as to not have to worry about the bounce affect on things mounted on the rear of the coach.